The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

the average copper sync speed is 67Mbps compared to 8Mbps on ADSL. that was achieved through multiple billions of dollars of nodes installed closer to premises to shorten line length and improve performance, supplemented by multiple billions more of transmission uplinks, aggregation layers, and control systems.

it's 837% better than the previous technology, and what the government of the day directed be done, and discussion on the subject is an utterly useless waste of time.

2. samo

samo Member

Quick question, looking to sign up to AussieBB and curious if I can use my Telstra Gateway Max (Netgear C6300BD) as the router & wireless AP. Moving on from Telstra cable. My understanding is that a modem will be supplied by NBNCo after ordering my service.

Not interested in VoIP.

Cheers.

3. caspian

caspian Member

should work fine, it's just DHCP authentication for Aussie to my knowledge, and you are correct that a new modem will be supplied.

if you can, find the TR.069 authentication settings in the modem and change them so it's not still phoning home to Telstra's ACS.

4. BuD

BuD Member

i couldnt get my gateway max to work. everytime i plugged it in wan got disabled and HFC NTD( modem that will be supploed by nbn ) wouldnt see it

5. samo

samo Member

Thanks for that. Good to know.

6. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

The wait time for installs in some areas is ridiculous. I moved to a new place on the 30th of March. I informed my ISP on the 19th of march that I would be moving and was given an install date of 5th of May. Ive managed to get it moved to the 29th of April but its still a pretty big wait.

7. caspian

caspian Member

the install timeframes are publicly available in table 1.1 of this document: https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/da...chedule-nbnEthernetProductModule-20190328.pdf

your ISP has selected an outside SLA appointment time and has thus waived the SLA. they have perfectly clear instructions that have existed for literally years to contact NBN for an accelerated appointment time inside SLA if one if not offered by the the system. apparently they have not done that.

additionally, this time of year always sucks for lead times... there are three national public holidays in the next fortnight, which impact the business day count.

8. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Hey Caspian, how fixed are the NEBS FTTN profiles? e.g. can they be added to with new values like uncapped upload /download, whilst my 50mb down is great and mostly adequate, my upload is fundamentally capped, my max down according to the RSP is 60, although I'm mostly after increased upload.

Do you think we'll ever see an uncapped up/down for sub 100/40 customers on FTTN as a midway option between 50/20 and 100/40 or will NBN hold out for FTTDP?

9. caspian

caspian Member

I had a much longer reply typed, but it was a long winded way of saying - I don't think so. there's too much hardwiring in behind the speed tiers to change it without significant demand (and potential profit) to justify the cost in the short to medium term.

FTTC is somewhat of a hybrid where the DSL link is allowed to run at up to max 100/40 speed and speed tier control is (largely) implemented elsewhere, had that been done from the outset with FTTN then there might have been more scope to go to an uncapped product construct. unfortunately both were modelled off the original FTTP vision that allowed people to pick the service they wanted to pay for, in the expectation that everyone could have every choice open to them.

I expect that the current speed tier model will eventually evolve as demand for different speeds and UL/DL bandwidth combinations improves, and the network improves to support accessing them, but I also expect that FTTN will being actively phased out by the time that happens. in the meantime I'd be looking to initiatives like carrier supported bonding to open up bandwidth.

kbekus likes this.
  10. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

Thanks for the info. I called Telstra and let them know and they just kept repeating that the earliest date that NBNCO can give them is the 29th so I guess I'm waiting till then.

11. caspian

caspian Member

question... why are you going with Telstra?

12. BuD

BuD Member

I plus 1 this question :)
    Way better providers out there at a lower cost to as a bonus

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

So I've decided I can't cope with another year on 4/1 ADSL, and have grabbed an Optus 4G home modem\router and a month-to-month $80/500GB plan. Seems OK so far, speeds over the last week have mostly been over 40/20 where I live.

Not 100% sure 500GB/month will be enough for our house, but it probably will be. I'll let it go for a month or so and then cancel our ADSL.

14. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Seeing a lot of telstra techs out remediating pits in st lucia at the moment, which makes the jan-march forecast start to actually sound like it might happen :)

15. roger895

roger895 Member

I am on the same, except I came from <20mbit FTTN. My speed fluctuates between 50-120mbit and only $10 more per month than FTTN.
    I was sad to lose static IP and decent latency, but I don't game, mostly just streaming.

Might be moving house soon, would love to try and find out the FTTN speed there. Caspian, there may be a PM coming your way. :p

16. Uranux

Uranux Member

My NBN connection was supposed to have been activated today. I lost my ADSL2 connection however when I connected up my VDSL modem it still syncs via ADSL instead of VDSL so it appears the NBN tech didn't switch it over properly. There's an appointment for them to go back to the node on Monday so hopefully they get it right then.

17. insular

insular Member

argh two weeks to install. i don't mean to complain but. two weeks, really? for a new area that's just been activated?

18. BuD

BuD Member

This is common with the people they use for the node, just barely trained. Honestly I don't know how they still have jobs

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  19. caspian

caspian Member

or just bad cable records inherited from Telstra. the tech can do their job 100% correctly and still come unstuck if those are wrong.

- pay contractors peanuts
    - trust Telstra's records
    - don't test to premises every time
    - get crap result

management:

[​IMG]

banshee and TheWedgie like this.
  20. BuD

BuD Member

What you list is true but I also know from first hand experience they often wire the node just wrong way around