The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

I don't doubt there are some errors, but since the tech has to obtain a provenance test demonstrating successful service activation before they can clear the job off, that would involve them making the same mistake twice in a row - once to run the jumper, and again to run the test. possible, yes. if someone can't distinguish between a main pair and a distribution pair then what the hell are they doing in my pillar.

this is where testing to the premises every time would eliminate error.

supasaiyan likes this.
  2. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    I just wish I had a realistic idea of when the FTTC will be installed. nbn site still says "Available from April 2019", but the pull-throughs are still in the conduit instead of any cable. Has there been some issue that has caused problems & slowed down roll out of the FTTC?

3. caspian

caspian Member

no. "from April" means sometime from April onwards, if they had to give a concrete date then all they could do is give the worst case possible and then people would complain when it got delivered faster than that.

probably more like September in your case, at this stage, with no guarantees.

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

mine says "available from apr-june 2019".

EDIT: Also, it's HFC and I am not sure how stable it is.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  5. insular

insular Member

best modem router for FTTN? need voip ports. strong wifi is a must as well. cost no real objection but reasonable would be better. prefer something that actually gets updates.

so far looked at tp-link one (they're slack with FW updates), the Asus one, and those big expensive spidey looking ones (no voip in those though?)

overlooked the netcomm one ABB provides just because.

6. darknebula

darknebula Member

Just to highlight the difference in providers. I signed up for FTTC about 5.5 almost 6 weeks ago with Superloop and have been connected for almost a month, would have been sooner but we had to reschedule the tech visit twice.

My neighbour who signed up with Optus almost 5 weeks ago and does not require a tech visit still can't get a straight answer out of Optus as to when he will receive his modem and router.

7. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    I noted that it specified from over a year ago, & understand progressive rollouts for each area. That's what I've been suspecting, ever since it said, "Available from April 2018", and kept getting pushed back. I just wish I had some idea why no work has been done here since they ran the pull-throughs over a year ago, & they keep pushing it back.

8. caspian

caspian Member

but you don't know that no work has been done. the bit you can see may not appear to have progressed, but you can't assume that is the determining factor for the entire project.

9. caspian

caspian Member

my poor node. :(

TheWedgie likes this.
  10. leighr

leighr Member

Lucky you've got a few more to console yourself with.

What's the replacement time after a node is hit by (up to) 15 tonne moving at speed?

11. caspian

caspian Member

they've done it in less than 24 hours including reinstatement of the plinth, if no damage to local power assets we need to engage the supplier for.

we have grab-and-go knockdown kits with all of the required items prestaged at spares depots.

TheWedgie and leighr like this.
  12. Uranux

Uranux Member

A different NBN tech came by yesterday to fix the issue. Stopped by the house first to confirm the problem and then went to the pillar for about 10mins, came back and confirmed that it was working. Asked him what the issue was and he said "human error". Figures.

BuD likes this.
  13. clonex

clonex Member

14. kbekus

kbekus Member

15. caspian

caspian Member

clonex likes this.
  16. bryn

bryn Member

Fritzbox 7590 from gowifi nz

17. caspian

caspian Member

not if it uses the same AVM modem chipset as their other models I am familiar with. far better to select something with a Broadcom chipset, and bridge into a separate router if need be for features. the DSL performance improvement can be quite significant.

18. bryn

bryn Member

it doesn't use the same chipset- still. not Broadcom, but vdsl2 performance is better than the 7390 & 7490. you. Ould of course put a Broadcom modem in front of it bridged if required

19. caspian

caspian Member

just got a chance to check, it's an Infineon. definitely better with a Broadcom modem in front, in which case you can run whatever router you like.

20. Bourke

Bourke Member

I have some general "how does it work " q?s

I looked up plans in my area and stuff and trying to figure out what I "need" vs "what is enough"
    90% gaming and 10% Streaming.

PLAN50 vs PLAN100 (general plan names)
    42mbit DL VS 80mbit DL ..........UP I don't know due to not being published

My guess is for gaming, that performance wise will be the same due PING to server, and I need atleast 2mbit UP to serve that need and reduce packet loss to a minimum, any more overhead is a asset/waste.
    I'm trying to find a fastest speed with low monthly DL limit (100gb is fine) and lowest monthly cost.
    AUSSIE has a plan but i'm jus checking about the low ping gaming thing.