The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I think their site is just playing up, my June 2019 estimate for fail to the node also now says * (new node already installed)

Try the map instead mine says June 2019 on there.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. caspian

caspian Member

Quadbox - I don't know sorry, I don't have anything to do with that side of the business. there seems to be a number of databases that different systems pull their info from and I have seen them misaligned before.

I know the local residents of my estate got very excited in their facebook group recently when it showed we are getting NBN towards the end of the year. I think a fair chunk of them don't believe me when I checked and told them there is no way on earth it's happening, it is clearly a database entry error.

3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah fair enough. Not to worry, will resume patiently (ahem) waiting :p

At least my pit is like less than five metres as the fox runs from the junction box on the side of the house lol.

4. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    My wife, (who lives ~1km away since we separated ~8 years ago), told me on Sunday that she also got the emails on Friday the 24th about the install being done, & to ensure there was someone there on the scheduled date.

Only problem was that the time & date for the install she got on the emails, was Friday, 24th of May at 730pm. The emails were sent at 8pm... (Yes they were home. No, no one showed up before the emails were sent.)

5. kaine88

kaine88 Member

NBN Co to trial its first FTTN upgrade paths from June
    Hopefully a sign of some relief for those people on long copper loops...

6. caspian

caspian Member

it doesn't change much for long line services other than broaden the existing option of installing a micronode to FTTC. the company will have multiple options to choose from when addressing issues of services performing below mandated minimum, and an end-user paid change can access the same.

the whole program of work enables general changes of access tech when required for whatever reason, which is quite difficult now.

7. banshee

banshee Member

So, a couple of guys showed up this morning & started working out the front next door. They're just here to replace another collapsed FRC pit. Interesting thing is, there is fibre in that one, (and curled up excess length), but it seems to have been run to (or from) there, towards the end of the street, but not towards the main road & exchange connections. So the small pit my line connect is still has none, with further up the street, they do. (But it's not connected yet.)

8. caspian

caspian Member

fibre does not automatically follow copper cable paths towards an exchange. obviously it uses the same ducts, but fibre nodes are often located in streetside cabinets the same as FTTN nodes are.

9. banshee

banshee Member

Good point, but to clarify; the top of the street is the only access to all the houses down this way, (treat it as a "No Through Road" with only bushland behind it), and the only direct ducts to the main road & exchange pillar go straight down the street.

I suppose they could be connecting by going the long way right around the block, though, like drawing a P by going up from the bottom then halfway cutting around the loop & back down the top half of the straight bit. The copper just runs straight down at the moment.

They're out there now vacuuming out more soil from where the pit was to ensure they get all the asbestos out. (Well I'm guessing from the age & state, that it was an original fibro concrete pit.)

10. caspian

caspian Member

suggestion: stop obsessing about it.

11. banshee

banshee Member

Easier said than done. :D I have 3 kids here & constant complaints & arguing because almost everything they use bandwidth for tries to use all of it. So poor ADSL bandwidth divided by 3 or 4.

When things are designed to use 2-4Mbps each to work properly and can only get <1Mbps, nothing works well. Added to the frustration of being told it would be RFS over a year ago...

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

Worry about it isn't going to make anything go faster. Just send you grey earlier.

banshee and caspian like this.
  13. DNX

DNX Member

Looks like Telstra bundles are increasing by $10pm.
    Lots of people on bundles just got emails advising them of the increase from 1st July.

14. caspian

caspian Member

15. Kow

Kow Member

I got the RTC e-mail followed by there is a problem with your connection, nbn needs to fix to Install date all in a few hours.

16. banshee

banshee Member

Too late! It's already started.

17. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

David Teoh disagrees with Andy's point of view on the matter as does Phillip Britt ;)

18. caspian

caspian Member

David would disagree because his organisation grew up needing to compete and they understand that natively, as opposed to Telstra who couldn't describe the concepts of competition or efficiency with a dictionary in front of them. all Andy understands is how to cut customer service costs while coasting on the legacy of customers who haven't yet woken up to the fact there are far better choices out there.

Phil would disagree because his organisation visibly prioritises doing what they do properly, delivering a premium service, and charging a fair price for doing so - they're not in the glass-of-water-and-four-straws market.

19. banshee

banshee Member

Looks like my theory of them running the fibre the long way around the street & terminating it in the new pit was right!

nbn tech showed up on time. (~1400 for a time block of 1300-1700) Hooked up line trace tool, went to the small pit out the front & found my lead in. Checked his records & found the new copper that was run to the upgraded pit 10m up the street & spliced them up. Hooked up nbn modem to power up the hardware in the pit, (is that a DPU or an NTD? DPU I think...), got synch & comms. I entered all the details in my modem & it connected up ok.

Before leaving he confirmed my line was set for 50/20 but was good for 100/40. Actual speed I was getting was ~27/- on speedtest. After speaking to Internode to verify I had everything right, I rebooted the router & modem & the speedtest then said 47.5/42.15. Wait, what!? I think that will change to the standard speeds once the provisioning is properly registered.*

So despite all my doubts, it is installed & working perfectly, on time, first visit, and with no real problems. Only a month later than it was originally forecast, before they got all our hopes up by moving the date forward a year & slowly pushing it back month by month.

*edit: Running it again while watching the speedtest & the data flow monitor in the router, (which updates at 10s intervals), I get download for Speedtest ~46-48Mbps, router says 46,000+kbps. Upload says, this time, ~37Mbps, router says 8,166kbps. I suspect a bug in the Speddtest upload calculations somewhere...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  20. Wuffles

Wuffles Member

So I'm a bit up and down about my experience today. NBN tech was great and turned up on time. I've been on fixed wireless for a couplea years because ASDL sucked massively, but the wireless service has been pretty bad in the last 5-6 months - down from 30mbps at it's best to 9-10 atm. Apparently I'm the first to move to the NBN in the suburb as it only became available this month.

I noticed a node being stood up ~200m from my place and the pit is about ~300-350m away. The future broadband site (https://futurebroadband.com.au/sq/ showed(s) an estimate of around 84mbps down so was quietly hopeful of living a reasonably good FTTN dream. The NBN tech had to muck around on poles due to the copper having been cut due to not being used for a while (and noticed some illegal TransACT usage of Telstra lines?) and once done, the "DELT" showed as a touch over 1200m.

Currently tests are showing as around 39mbps which is slightly better than when the fixed wireless was in good shape and much better than currently, but I was hoping for at least 60mbps+.

Is there any way to tell which node I'm connecting to? The current distances from our place and the node/pit don't really add up. I asked the NBN tech who said to talk to my provider who said it was not something they could provide as it was "buried in documentation". Not sure why the futurebroadband estimate is so far removed from reality as it's been pretty consistent with some friends experiences in other parts of Canberra. When wiring things up back to the pit, the NBN tech also said he wanted to avoid climbing more poles to get the job done so not sure if that's added a bunch of copper looping around the place rather than shortest distance possible.