The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

sure, just order a second connection via your prospective service provider. the existing service being in use will trigger a new service install procedure.

2. archie

archie Member

any rough idea on approx costs for this new install?

3. caspian

caspian Member

I think it's $300 for any brand new connection.

4. archie

archie Member

thanks, i'll recover that in a month :D

5. 8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

We are currently on fixed wireless and speeds go to poo-poo in the evening (was 3/8 a couple of nights ago....)
    I am assuming this is due to congestion.
    Is there any way to lookup if a tower is congested?
    Is there any chance changing ISP's would help (currently with Telstra)?

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Anybody here on NBN and own a B2B alarm system in there house? Should I make a new thread for such topic as I need assistance.

7. caspian

caspian Member

contact your ISP.

not with with the congestion, no.

8. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Ask away, I think keeping fairly simple questions in here is a better idea.

9. 8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Thanks for the reply. However I despise having to speak with Telstra lol

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Thanks, so I will be getting NBN soon but one thing holding me back atm is my B2B alarm which calls my mobile when the alarm is triggered.

Now I've spoken with the company that installed the alarm systems in my estate, it's around $270 for the 3G GSM module which the landline telephone cable from the alarm box will plug into, $120 for call out fee and obviously a SIM card with credit that I have purchase myself (lasts up to 1 year, top again for the following year or when credit has exhausted).

Any recommendations for a DIY approach? I want to save cost and overhead by doing it myself.

Since the NBN connection is basically a VOIP service for my home phone which I'll be porting my Telstra number to TPG and the existing alarm and landline is analogue based, anyway of avoiding the GSM route and installing a analogue to digital modulator and connecting it directly to my future NBN router?

11. caspian

caspian Member

that is why I specifically said changing ISP would not help with the congestion. it will help with other things, like obtaining competent support.

12. caspian

caspian Member

if you want to experiment, the alarm may well dial out OK via VoIP. some modems will tolerate VoIP, others will not. that said, I just looked at the first 10 alarm providers that came up in a quick google search - ALL recommend a change to a wireless system - and that's from some well recognised actors in the industry that have been dealing with this issue since the first naked DSL line went in.

it would probably be easier to just change the alarm out for an IP based one if you really want to avoid the wireless route, plus it gives you the option to add in things like cloud based video recording and home automation features.

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

$700-1200.

14. caspian

caspian Member

which is no doubt why the simpler wireless add-on module is the preferred option.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I'll find a shortcut to a cost free solution. In event that I don't, any recommendations to a GSM module?

16. Wuffles

Wuffles Member

I had a pretty similar ADSL experience when we moved to our place in Chisholm. I was with Signal Co for years until recently. TBH Signal Co has been terrible for the past few months, I went from ~30mbps down to only 9-10 with frequent lows of 3-4. I just moved to FTTN and despite a pretty long cable length, sync at 42/9. Not a single dropout. Signal Co had their chance but have really deteriorated, plus have been totally non-responsive to tickets or to the whirlpool thread.

17. caspian

caspian Member

I would very much be going with the one my alarm provider recommends, to ensure correct operability.

18. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Yeah, I'm just worried my FTTN experience will be worse, our MDF and 6 sunken telstra pits are in terrible shape. Also we have no "Service" currently besides the Wireless with TSC, so I am very concerned about getting charged $300 to pair it up, but even reading the T&C's for the new providers it is not clear whether we will be charged a connection fee or not. Some mention it "may" be charged for "new developments" whatever that means.

19. caspian

caspian Member

if you don't have an intact line to the premises the fee applies to connect one.

20. trevor68

trevor68 Member

I figured as much, it would be great if any of these providers mention it though!