The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

It's easy if your copper is disconnected, e.g. fttp. The voip boxes which you can plug an analogue phone into can just be plugged into a phone port in your house and it will work. Will power all your analogue phones on your house wiring too.

A lot of the ISP supplied modems which do voip have these. If you need something separate to do it it's called an ATA.

Don't know if that will work with VDSL sorry. They don't disconnect copper when hooking up HFC, so unsure there too.

google-fu came up with something which is dependent on you knowing your house wiring:

http://blog.ausics.net/archives/123-NBN-With-Multiple-Phone-Outlets.html

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The copper will be disconnected from the Telstra box outside my house (grey box) but the copper inside my house will still be used, aka VOIP to the NBN modem aka FTTP. But I'm concerned about how my alarm system will behave with the VOIP side of the modem than the landline phones itself.

3. caspian

caspian Member

here is an example:

https://myrepublic.net/au/personal/subsequent-installation-charge/

I agree it's unclear generally, there's plenty of documentation around what's called the "new development" fee of $300 per premises (which does include scenarios like subdivisions, granny flat with a separate street address etc), but very little around the idea of getting a brand new line connected to a brownfield premises - either no line to the premises now, or getting a second line connected when the first is active. I can only advise how I have seen it dealt with, including the example of a work colleague who had a second FTTN line connected for bandwidth aggregation purposes.

4. caspian

caspian Member

as I mentioned earlier, some modems (which is what your alarm uses to communicate over a voice frequency POTS line) tolerate VoIP, some will not due to issues like the bandwidth limitations and much higher latency of a packet switched path. this has been an issue ever since the first naked DSL lines went it, and I think nature is trying to tell you something when every alarm supplier I can find says - go wireless. unreliability is not something you want in a critical application.

5. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Played musical routers today. Swapped in the TP-Link Archer VR1600v in for the Draytek Vigor 2830n. Upload speed is now ~18.88+/- Rather than half that with the Draytek.

Any ideas why a router would make that sort of difference? As far as I can see all the settings for login & VLAN ID are identical, both connect to the modem via ethernet at 100mbps. Yet the old router can only get half the upload speed. Download speeds are the same.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Chipset and firmware optimization differences.

7. banshee

banshee Member

I could see that if it was running VDSL, but it uses the ethernet uplink port at 100Mbps. If it was chipset optimisation, wouldn't that also affect all traffic over the network as well? The only difference is sending data to one port instead of another.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

nah the routing process, NATing, keeping NAT tables updated, etc. is different on the WAN port to everything else (which will generally just be switched, which is easily done in cheap hardware for a decade+).

cheap crappy router is cheap and crappy. (despite whatever the price you may have paid)

It could be short on CPU grunt, or memory for storing connection tables, and/or it's routing software may be poorly written.

9. money_killer

money_killer Member

hmmm not a good sign.

just recieved my FW modem,dsl works slower then my old modem, 4g doesnt work as a back up when i disconnect dsl. and when i plug the telstra modem lan 1 or wan into my linksys 1900 (expressvpn firmware) no internet connection... (which would service my existing network) dang it , was all working previolusy what ip etc and should the telstra modem be cant remember how i did it all last time. my linksys use 192.168.0

other then that service has been quick to be installed ariel going on monday... new tower new serivce i would be one of the first ones to serivce a small 500-750 ppl area

any ideas been trying to get this to work hours with multiply arrangements

cheers

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  10. im late

im late Member

So I had an existing adsl2+ connection for years with my ac68u.

Modem was flashed to latest bios several weeks ago.

Working fine.

Today Aussie broadband ported me over to fttn.

Got home to plug my modem into the phone cable.

No dsl light.

Factory reset, no dsl light, nothing.

I call Aussie, 52mins later they tell me they can loop back test to my node (around the corner from my house).

But i Get no dsl light.

They ask me to try another modem, I don’t have vdsl modems coming out of my arse....

So they logged a fault with nbn co

Shit happens, no internet till whenever

EDIT: yeah I know I have to rule out modem fault first.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  11. trevor68

trevor68 Member

So just to be really sure how much connecting a FTTN service is going to cost I had a chat to Belong. They say nothing! Do the NBN techs work for free? Recently had to transfer the father-in-laws phone to his new house, Telstra charged $89 for this, which required a Telstra tech and a NBN Tech to both visit on 2 different days each, the NBN techs can't be making any money at this rate! Anhyoo here is the chat log. Maybe I'm dreaming?

Me (6/15/2019, 9:58:40 AM): that is great, we currently have fixed wireless, so there is no cabled service connected to our house at the moment
    Guillermo Jr. (6/15/2019, 9:59:02 AM): But is there a phone port?
    Me (6/15/2019, 9:59:17 AM): yes, we used to have ADSL with Iiinet previously
    Me (6/15/2019, 9:59:28 AM): but we cancelled because the line was so bad
    Guillermo Jr. (6/15/2019, 9:59:33 AM): That is fine. Your house technology and service class will need an NBN technician for the activation.
    Guillermo Jr. (6/15/2019, 9:59:57 AM): A Technician is required to connect copper cable in a pit out the front of your address into the home.
    Me (6/15/2019, 10:00:04 AM): yes someone will need to connect a pair for us
    Me (6/15/2019, 10:00:21 AM): exactly, so my question becomes is there a charge for that?
    Guillermo Jr. (6/15/2019, 10:00:32 AM): That is correct. And that will be no charge, Trevor.
    Guillermo Jr. (6/15/2019, 10:01:02 AM): We will send you the modem within 2-5 business days and NBN technician will contact you to set up an appointment.
    Me (6/15/2019, 10:01:30 AM): ok thanks for the information, I will think about it for a bit, have a good day

12. money_killer

money_killer Member

SOLVED: changed telstra smart modem ip to 192.168.20.1 lan 1 to linksys 1900acs Internet port and all started working. hopefully no settings are doubled up eg nat or dchp or what ever. seems to work fine just turned off smart modem wifi. i was trying to make it a modem only but no luck so seems i will basically just have 2 networks. im a rookie with network stuff its all read and try and error with me

13. banshee

banshee Member

OK. I wouldn't call it a 'cheap crappy', but it is ~8 years or so old, and was reasonably good with useful features, at the time... Other than upload speed and no 5GHz wifi, it's much better than the VR1600v, who's wifi (2.4 or 5 GHz) can't make it 6m to the kids bedroom for a consistent connection.

14. Copie

Copie Member

It doesnt cost anything, its paid for by NBN. You only pay for the router if required. And fuck belong, AussieBB all the way.

15. caspian

caspian Member

install cost is currently free unless you are connecting a new premises for the first time. the government subsidises the cost of the connection against future revenue.

16. r3s

r3s Member

So i have been told by Optus that my cable internet will be getting disconnected shortly so i have been forced to go to the NBN , i signed up with exetel and have just been sent out the modem and it looks like an ADSL modem, is this right?
    I was thinknig it would be a similar HFC connection like my current optus cable but there is no connection on the modem for that?

17. r3s

r3s Member

When i punch my address in i get this

Planned technology
    nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)*

18. caspian

caspian Member

not sure what you mean by no connection? it's a HFC modem, probably very similar to what you have now from Optus. it has a coax connector that faces the network and an ethernet connector for your router. there's no twisted-pair connection like a DSL modem would use.

what Exetel have sent you is probably their router, if you don't have an NBN HFC modem yet then you should check how that is being provided. they have the option of requesting NBN to sent a self-install kit you connect yourself, or having a tech come onsite to do it. you may have to have to latter, if you only have Optus cable (and not former Telstra cable too) then they need to install a new cable run and socket.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  19. r3s

r3s Member

I honestly don't know what i have at home regarding telstra/optus cables in.
    I think the previous owners used to have foxtel as well so i think i have both but am using Optus cable currently.
    This is what i have been sent https://www.exetel.com.au/files/modems/ZTE_ZXHN_H268A_Brochure_Exetel.pdf
    And it has no coaxial input so i am hoping something else is installed tomorrow when they connect me that takes the cable then i run a lead to this router?

20. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Yes, see the above video. NBN will install their box, and you connect your modem to that via ethernet. In the case of HFC, you need to use the WAN port as you don't need the xDSL modem component of the device Exetel has sent you.

Here's a pretty picture:
    [​IMG]