The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. r3s

r3s Member

Sweet, seems weird not to just have 1 device , oh well , more clutter.

2. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

This way you're not locked into a specific cable modem/router - you can either use the cheap & nasty shit your ISP supplies, or provide your own.

3. caspian

caspian Member

if you currently have Optus cable then you have Optus at least... do you have any other coax sockets that aren't just FTA TV?

do you have a Foxtel dish on the roof?

it doesn't need a coax input, the NBN cable modem has that. you use ethernet to connect the modem to your router.

NBN provide a layer 2 service, which is presented to you via an ethernet port. you (or your ISP) can't supply your own modem, because it's a managed NTD and part of the NBN network. NBN can't supply a router to you because that's a layer 3 device. I've still got the shovel from when we buried the body of the last person who suggested intruding into that space.

banshee likes this.
  4. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Communist community broadband, Australia says no!

5. caspian

caspian Member

"To describe the NBN enshrining the notion of universal access to broadband as some kind of communist ideal was clearly out of step with the sentiment of the Australian public."

- Senator Catryna Bilyk, senate debate 13/8/19.

6. r3s

r3s Member

I think there was a foxtel port installed in the back room but was removed as it was dodgy AF and i have never had foxtel/telstra cable.
    Definately no dish
    Thanks for the info, i just didnt want to get stuck after i already have to take half a day off work for the 1-5pm install window bullshit :)

7. caspian

caspian Member

then you need the install appointment as at the very least you need a socket fitted. you may need a whole cable drop installed from the street.

just out of interest, why is a 1-5pm install window for work that may take several hours "bullshit", when they have no idea what work will be required on the day, but they're expected to get it finished without fail in that timeframe else the user goes into a fit of rage?

8. iinsom

iinsom Member

I assume the two blocks for install times are set regardless of the end user's arrangement (in my case, im on HFC, so the nbn guy literally has to come and plug his NTD in, plug in the coax, then the rj45 to my router and he's done?) Cause as you say, they might need the full 4 hours to install, as opposed to smaller simple jobs? (I kinda wish they'd just send me the NTD and i can do it myself, and i wouldnt have to take a half day off work, but i understand why)

9. caspian

caspian Member

you can get a self install NTD, they've been available for nearly 2 years now. https://innotel.com.au/blog/nbn-self-install-for-hfc-connections/ (random first hit in google)

I presume though that eligibility depends on the service class for the address indicating no work required to install cabling from the PCD to the premises, and possibly the end user confirming to their ISP that they do in fact have a formerly-Telstra wall socket BCO to connect to.

if this isn't the case, then installation could be anything from locating a socket hidden behind a cupboard that the user had forgotten even existed, to a multi-hour pain in the arse drilling through brickwork, along with the usual hassles of the end user complaining about stuff like whyyyy they can't have the socket installed on an internal wall that's flat out impossible or would require breaking strict HS&E rules to get to, or has no mains socket available nearby, or in the ceiling or some damn thing. or howling like they've just had a finger amputated because the tech needs to run a bit of conduit to get the cable to where the user absolutely insists to socket needs to go, despite there being a 5 metre air gap between where the lead-in terminates and the proposed BCO location.

even if there is an existing working socket, if the user has Foxtel or wants to retain their Telstra connection at the same time, the tech may need to install a second socket, or a splitter, along with checking the signal levels and attenuators fitted.

extensive and sometimes bitter experience led to the current appointment blocks, trust me the company isn't any more interested in wasting tech time than anyone else is.

10. r3s

r3s Member

The install window was for a start time i thought not that it will take that long, funnily enough i get a call at 10:00am saying he will be at my house in 15minutes.......... i'm like no, i will be home at 1pm as per my window and the time i am taking off work to do so, not sure what he did in those 3 hours.
    Guy was friendly and did his thing, but totally bloody IGNORED where i said to move the external box as it was just hanging off the wall from the previous owners, i only noticed after he left.
    I am sheeting underneath the verandah ceiling and had left the end open for the cable etc and i said to mount it on the brickwork above my power box, so instead of that he mounts the fucking thing on the support bearer so now if i sheet it runs into the bloody middle of the box all because its easier to drill into timber then put a couple of simple wall plugs into the brick.

11. r3s

r3s Member

Only pic i could find to show atm.

Bottom is where i asked for it to be mounted and he said he would , top is where he chose to mount it.

Attached Files:

12. caspian

caspian Member

if you have a problem with the install, ring up and raise a complaint.

13. mtma

mtma Member

So got the disconnection letter a little while back, and organised to get a service. Turns out I don't have the HFC overhead cable from the street installed (brownfields, old single dwelling). NBN call centre after some holding directed us to their site to find a cabler. Cabler says they don't install the overhead cable...

Anyway popped in a complaint, lets see where it goes.

14. money_killer

money_killer Member

Round 2 got bloke coming out tomorrow to install fw after turning the first bloke away

15. caspian

caspian Member

the installer should have passed the job back for a reschedule to a different team who can do the aerial network drop. I presume the premises database indicated that was intact and only internal work was required if someone without the capability to do the drop turned up. ask your ISP to follow up on the order.

whoever told you to find a cabler is an idiot, I have no idea why they attempt to action service queries instead of directing you to your ISP who has the ability to make the correct technical query. the contact centre's role is supposed to be for general queries and instances not related to a specific service (e.g. cable downed, pit lid missing etc). they're not technical people and the response indicates it!

16. mtma

mtma Member

Should be fixed now, on the call today the ISP found an order for someone completely different but with my address, then after some holding let me know there was some sort of back end issue that they've sorted out. I guess that must have led the previous conversation down the wrong script. Hopefully the process rolls smoothly from here...

17. money_killer

money_killer Member

Fixed Wireless install went well today, new bloke did good job how i wanted it. Now running tests on new service to see how it compares etc to my old adsl service seems similar atm.... bloke reckons could take a day or 2 to get quicker due to firmware updates etc..

18. caspian

caspian Member

the firmware was pushed before the installer left the site. it's done automatically at the time the WNTD is provisioned onto the network.

19. trevor68

trevor68 Member

So I thought I would show you why I am hesitant to begin the FTTN journey. This is our MDF

Click to view full size!

Then the signal has to survive another six telstra pits that are on average sunken about 6 inches under the ground, so that you have to search for them with a metal detector to make repairs.

20. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

At least you've got Krone...

IMG_5527.JPG

Internal wiring then travels ~60m to the next building to another IDF (where their PBX used to be, Krone and <10 years old at least), then back ~70m to our IDF.
    As the building/s are split across about 5 tenants, we're still awaiting permission to re-run internal cabling the ~20m direct to our IDF.

money_killer likes this.