The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. chip

chip Member

Yeah that was my plain-english reading of the SC23 definition. I queried it with Aussie BB and their response was that it's a policy from NBN...which I can't find anywhere on any public facing documents.

2. caspian

caspian Member

if that was indeed the case, there would be no point in having an SC23; everything would be SC22 pro-install.

3. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

If NBN are looking to extend the FTTC trial program, I'm certain my DA would provide valuable information into the remainder of NBNs migration strategy ;)

4. chip

chip Member

For shits and giggles, I spoke to to another ISP today, got the same story from their 2nd level staff about SC23 still needing a tech appointment "in your area".

Edit: it seems that Self Install Kits won't be an option until Q4, 2019, according to the NBN roadmap.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hmmm... my NBN modem has an RJ45 port. is this an HFC thing?

6. chip

chip Member

NBN FTTC, FTTP, and HFC modems (aka NTDs) all have RJ45 ports to connect your router to.

edit: The HFC NTD uses an RG6 co-ax cable with F type connectors to connect to the actual NBN cable coming in from the street.

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hmmm... the DSL port on the modem looks like a phone line jack. defs not an ethernet port.

8. callan

callan Member

Put in a Technology Choice application... I'm on HFC, and whilst the performance has generally been good, reliability sucks. The problems are infrastructure related (Foxtel drops at the same time, and Telstra invariably reports general outages in several postcodes at the same time), and I'm seeing upload congestion creeping up like a slow-rising flood.

The quote will prove interesting: I believe the FTTP technology is not compatible with the fibre back end of HFC, so I fear it''ll be a scary distance, and this may well make the whole thing uneconomic. NBN have contacted me and confirmed my site IS eligible so I've paid me moneys and will see what transpires. I'm under no illusions as to the sort of costs involved, but we'll see if it move into "ludicrous speed"territory.

We'll see what happens, and report back.

Callan

9. caspian

caspian Member

no you can't tap into the fibre that feeds the HFC node - it's carrier ethernet signal, not the GPON you need. they'll design a fibre path back to the nearest fibre access node for you.

if you do go down the path of a build you'd probably be nicely in time to take advantage of the proposed new speed tiers.... ;) can't say much else but I think people will like them.

10. chip

chip Member

Is this a reference to anything in particular on the current roadmap?

11. caspian

caspian Member

no, looks like new item.

12. iinsom

iinsom Member

So got my nbn connected last night (HFC)

Turns out it wasnt a simple plug and play. The tech came out and changed every connector from street to inside the house, and had to put in a booster. He was there for an hour and a half, and actually knew his stuff. Was a good change from T$ where theyd send any idiot out to plug in a box and consider it done.

End result is 98/38. Pretty good all things considered.

13. chip

chip Member

Out of interest, do you know what NBN service your location was before the installation?

14. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Oooooooh. Pity you cant say too much :(

I hope there is something above 250/100 at a *reasonable price. *(what is reasonable to me is probably different to others...... residential service, though).

Can you elaborate at all on expected availability???

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  15. iinsom

iinsom Member

You mean, like on the ausbb poi checker?

It was a service 23, wall plugs installed but no NTD.

chip likes this.
  16. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

I just switched over from Bigpond cable to Telstra HFC NBN. Just a few days after the area went live. Regarding speed, the bigpond cable prior was 114/5. Now getting 95/36. The ping according to speed test might have dropped by 1-2mS

Q1.) Is there an installation price increase changing from a Service 23 to Service 22? IE relocate wall plate.
    Q2.) Why does Telstra send each customer a new "smart modem" which is merely a router with a 4G backup without even asking if its required. My existing BYO router worked after being plugged in for about 15 seconds.

17. caspian

caspian Member

(1) check with your ISP. the closest I can come is the "nbn Professional Installation - HFC" from page 10 of https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/da...List-nbn-Ethernet-Product-Module-20190626.pdf

(2) they are cheap enough that it's loss costly overall for Telstra to just send one than spend the time developing systems and processes and pricing for a BYO option, and the more people use their standard hardware, the less hassles it causes their support agents.

18. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Hi Guys,

My parents have finally got access to NBN which is FTTC in their area. I have been looking at several different ISPs and only realised today that a lot of them dont actually provide telephony / phone connections. My parents definitely need to port their no. over and need to use a portable / handset phone. They are using their mobiles more / smart phones and even use it for facetime and whatsapp calling etc but still make and receive quite a few calls through the landline.

Seems to get quite complicated with NBN when you take into account phones it looks like. As its voip and some provide a voip modem / router with their plans or can be purchased with their plans and others dont seem to have any phone support at all. I notice some people were saying if you want to carry your no. with you then its better to get your own voip account rather than using the ones that are provided by some NBN ISPs as sometimes if you are porting / changing ISPs, you can have issues if phones are involved.

I saw a couple mention Mynetfone etc to use as the phone connection now. I dont have much experience at all with VOIP and how to do much of this but also is it easy to use / maintain once set up? as my parents arent very IT friendly.

Hence why i was going to just go with a ISP that also did phones.

19. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

You've pretty much answered your own question - just go with an ISP that provides the VOIP service (with their ported in number) and the hardware. Will save an enormous amount of screwing around IMO - unless you're choosing CheapoMcIncompetentISP to start with, how often are you planning on having to change ISP?

It's been a while, but I don't recall setting up a third party VOIP account being any harder than plugging in server name, account and password into the router, and plugging in a handset.

Another consideration you'll have is what hardware - if your cordless phone's base station can plug into the VOIP port on the ISP supplied router, that's easy.

20. caspian

caspian Member

can I also just make the observation that from the end user's point of view, there is close to no difference at all between FTTN and naked DSL, which we've had for what - 15 years now? this isn't a new problem.

if you want simplicity, pick an ISP that does data+voice and use their hardware. yes, that will restrict your choice of providers.

better yet, stop clinging to the obsolete landline. VoIP isn't a landline, it's a simulation of one, so clinging to it means even more that the person doesn't actually need the functionality, it's that they won't let go of the illusion of the idea. bank books, rotary dial, printed newspapers, any expectation of a pension, VHS tapes, white wall tyres, landlines - they're gone, let them go.

Hive likes this.