The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

interesting report published by the ACMA today regarding typical NBN compatible modem performance.

https://acma.gov.au/theACMA/get-the-right-modem-for-peak-nbn-performance

the good bits are in the full report linked on this page. https://acma.gov.au/theACMA/nbn-wi-fi-modem-study

some of the numbers in table 2 are an eye opener. DSL sync speeds on a standardised line can vary considerably, and look at the variance on a line with real-world noise; the Billion BIPAC8900X tolerated some noise very well, but other modems like the Netcomm AC1600 NF18ACV showed a great deal of varation in tolerance which I suspect will be due to firmware version, whereas others just sucked... but was that due to a single sample with the firmware in use? I think that highlights the very significant role that firmware can play in performance, it's not all hardware.

the wifi performance claimed-vs-measured also shows where the engineering department vs the marketing department wrote the sales literature.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Doc-of-FC and AgB deano like this.
  2. bcann

bcann Member

I imagine for the most part (And feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) but there likely isn't a huge amount of different VDSL chipsets available from a wide variety of manufacturers, so once you know that the only real distinguisher between most of the "Brands" is the CPU Power itself to do things, and firmware, and electrical design.

3. caspian

caspian Member

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

so is an nbn connection box a modem or is it something else?

I look it up and foxtel says it's this: https://www.foxtel.com.au/support/phone/setting-up/nbn-connection-box.html

and it saying it has ethernet ports to connect PCs "directly" so why do I need a hub?

this is what the connection will be like.

[​IMG]

So my understanding is that the wifi-hub acts like a router and the connection box is the "modem".

feel free to state otherwise.

5. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Close enough for government work.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Cos where it says "Data ports" at the bottom it states that a PC can be directly connected. so I am guessing it's a modem.

[​IMG]

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

It will be easier to answer your question clearly if you stick to one technology - so far you've shown a picture of an HFC NTD and a FTTP NTD. It will be simpler if you stick to just one...

8. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

This. I don't know about the HFC NTD, but IIRC depending on your ISP (IPoE vs PPPoE) you can connect directly to the FTTP NTD's UNI-D ports without any additional setup.

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

the photo of the setup diagram in my earlier post has the tech i am stuck with: HFC.

the diagram shows the connection box going into the wan port of the hub so i am guessing there's nothing special about the termination aspect of it.

10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Fair enough. So yes, for most purposes the NTD is functionally a modem - it translates the signal on the wire into ethernet frames. It doesn't do any of the stuff a router does - authentication, NAT, DHCP, DNS caching, none of that.

If you only have a single device you want to connect to your NBN connection (no WiFi, just one single device with an ethernet port) then yes, you can do without a router, you just need to handle authentication yourself. With some providers this is dead easy - if they're just using IPoE, you grab an address with DHCP and you're done.

Looks like Foxtel isn't one of those providers - they're doing PPPoE, so you would need to configure a PPPoE "dial-up" connection in your OS. (Somehow between looking at your post and writing this one, my brain decided that Vodafone was Foxtel? Eh. Whatever)

Meanwhile in the real world the only people doing this are those building DIY routers, because most people need NAT to provision multiple devices internally.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i have a router that i want to use that isn't the ISP's hub thingy so good to know.

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Ah, right. Yeah, Vodafone aren't doing anyone any favours by calling a router with a built-in WiFi Access Point a "WiFi Hub". If you don't know what they're talking about, it's all gibberish indistinguishable from the real jargon. If you do know, you'd much rather they use the real jargon for clarity...

13. Zee

Zee Member

Without reaading through 3532 posts, is TPG HFC NBN like Telstra HFC, in that they use the same NBN gateway (which I know would be the case), and I can just keep using my Mikrotik router without the telco supplied POS? I was super happy to see it auto config when I tried it, now we are looking to switch from Telstra, and before pulling the trigger, want to be sure I don't need to make any changes.

Don't give a toss about the landline, though it does work with the Telstra POS router plugged into one of the LAN ports on the Mikrotik.

Z...

14. caspian

caspian Member

the NBN NTD is not a gateway - that's a router concept. as mentioned above, it's a modem only - it converts HFC into electrical ethernet, and presents an interface to you that leads into a layer 2 tunnel to your ISP. in effect, the NBN is analogous to a big managed switch.

quite a few ISPs now use DHCP authentication so with routers in IPoE mode it literally becomes plug and play, and your ISP won't know the difference unless they are trying to TR.069 manage their device. having thought about it, it's expected that the Telstra router works when connected as LAN client of the primary gateway router - it just wants an IP that gives it web access on its WAN interface, and it doesn't care that it's actually a local address. once the ATA and SIP client in the Telstra router has connectivity to their ACS and SIP server, it works fine - just through an additonal NAT layer.

Pugs and Zee like this.
  15. Zee

Zee Member

OK, so it is, actually, a modem (the black box, I mean). Good to know. I've heard it referred to as so many things by the NBN folk, I simply call it the black NBN box.

OK, so, in theory, I can churn with TPG and it'll pretty much just happen. I know it works for Aussie, and we may yet go with them... But I like having full control of my hardware.

Z...

Pugs likes this.
  16. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Those modem statistics published in that guide make me a sad panda, if only there was a way to avoid having to use DSL ;)

Interestingly the TP-Link W9970 isn't distinguished as either the V1 or V2 model.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  17. caspian

caspian Member

there is. vote in a government that doesn't want to use it.

Hive likes this.
  18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

So my fttn speeds of 84mbit slowed to 47mbit so I contacted ISP (launtel) and they said I been offline for 18 hours.. But I'm not. Seems Telstra has ported me over to them on a 50mbit plan lol.. My external IP is apparently Telstra anyway.

Mr contractor fucked up I guess. I never been with Telstra.

edit: yup provider confirmed some 'idiot' tech moved me over to Telstra and as a result some random person is going without net at all.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  19. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

None of this would happen ( I am sure Caspian will confirm, no jeed for jumpering pairs with fibre obviously. Not sure how fibre connections meet up with a selected ISP) if we had stuck with the 93% fibre rollout. You get what you voted for (not you per se, the general brainwashed public). MTM = Malcolm Turnbull's Mess. Thank god I am not on it.

money_killer likes this.
  20. trevor68

trevor68 Member

I don't understand the whole "you get what you voted for" thing, I voted labor, for the first time in my entire life, soley based on the NBN. Yet I still got MTM.