The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

have you heard of this thing called democracy at all? short summary is that the collective decision of everyone is what happens, you get to contribute to the collective but the outcome may not be reflective of your personal point of view.

2. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

This^^^^^^

3. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

And 33Mbit down / 36Mbit up on Saturday night.... Should have stayed on Telstra cable.

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I'm in Canberra we are a Labor town. It's rich baby boomers in other states that doomed us all.

5. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Okay so.

New house, FTTP
    Looking at plans
    Want to pay $59ish
    Doesn't have to be super fast
    Exetel NBN50?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers

6. Zee

Zee Member

OK, so, flatmate got a bit over excited. We are swapping from Telstra HFC to TPG HFC, except, flatmate, who has the net under her name, because her house, called Telstra and got it cut off before the swap...

Called them yesterday and they reckon it's going to take NBN Co 5 days to tell them that we already have the cables into the house, and an active service, at which point, another 24-48hrs to actually get connected... I have routers etc in place (I don't use the telco junk), so it's all ready to go!

So, with our 4g data limits nearing redline in about a day... Is there any way to speed this up? Another 5 days is going to cost a fortune in excess charges...

Z...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  7. bcann

bcann Member

Is that even realistically an option anymore. Labour have basically said they will do nothing and unless there is an NBN Party i haven't heard about who else is there?

8. caspian

caspian Member

quite possibly no, it's no longer an option that Joe Average has access too. a bit like the "encryption bill" - if both major parties back it then you're reduced to wasting your vote on the Monster Raving Looney Party as a protest.

in this case - it may once have been an option, but that ship has sailed.

9. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Its for my parents and they still use the old cordless phones / handsets. They do use their mobile for facetime / whatsapp video calling etc, but there are a lot of people they contact that can only be contacted via the normal phone line connections and not via smart phone / app based calling.

The cordless base stations are quite old, so they probably need the adaptor to connect to VOIP, So for FTTC the NBN provides the modem that also has the VOIP port in it right? so i dont need to buy a specific router as well do i?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  10. caspian

caspian Member

say that one aloud - there are numbers that can only be called from a landline (and a simulated one at that), but not from a mobile.

if they can use the mobile for facetime/whatsapp there is nothing whatsoever stopping them placing a PSTN voice call using the same device.

no, it's a modem. it presents an ethernet port terminating a layer 2 VLAN to the user. if you want to use a layer 3 functionality like VoIP you need to provide the hardware that can bring up a layer 3 session, plus the ATA to provide the VoIP functionality.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  11. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

That 'adapter' is your router, provided by your ISP or yourself. Most recent routers provided by ISP's will have at least one VOIP port.

For FTTC, the NBN Connection Box provides one ethernet port, which plugs into your router's WAN port.

12. callan

callan Member

Back in the days of "telephone seats" and before the age of digital cordless phones I would agree that the landline phone was limited, inflexible, outmoded and, frankly delightfully quaint. But in defence of the pseudo-landline phone with multiple cordless handsets there are some things in it's favour.
    1: you can run your own answering machine.
    2: multiple people can "conference" with others in the house with ease.
    3: Cordless phones can have headsets, and they are a godsend: on hold with someone you can toss the cordless phone in your pocket, wander about your business with both hands free and with absolute clarity and privacy. Also nothing beats the voice quality (at either end) like a wired headset.
    4: You KNOW WHERE THE FUCKING PHONE IS when it rings - it's on the charging station on your desk, or on the side table in the living room, or wherever. I've missed countless calls on my mobile simply because I couldn't find the bloody thing in 30 seconds.

For now Chez Callan has a VoIP "landline"number. AussieBB's VoIP is barely fit for purpose, but one of these days I'll move it to something credible. It is, however barely justifying it's 33 cents per diem, and probably will do for a while.

Callan

13. caspian

caspian Member

1 - messagebank. it's free, I can access it anywhere, and it's one less piece of equipment I need to buy, cable in, and sacrifice yet another power point to.
    2 - seriously - yell out. or maybe call their mobile? how big is the house?
    3 - bluetooth or corded handsfree for the mobile. or put it on speaker.
    4 - I see you have not met my wife. if I was to bet money on where our cordless handpiece is, on the charger would be the LAST place on the face of the earth I would nominate. I would suggest it was up a left handed rhino's arse in lower Botswana before it was actually back on the fucking charger.

yes, I still have a "landline", because it comes free with my fibre connection, and we had the phone, so what the hell. I already told my wife that when we eventually move to NBN I absolutely will not be bothering with spending time or money on a VoIP connection we have no need for.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

my mates FTTN line got tested as 135mbit capable as 100m from node, but then once ISP capped to 50mbit he gets 42mbit. Is this an 8mbit loss from node to him? seems bit much..

So is the 135mbit max speed they determine mean he would likely only get around 127mbit if they left it uncapped?

15. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

There's a few possible factors - how are you getting/testing the 135/42mbit? Modem results, speedtest?

Could just be shit cabling, internal or external. Could be shit CVC from the ISP. Could be theoretical max based on an arbitrary calculation of cable distance and type (think the old ADSL SQ style) rather than an actual measurement from Node or Modem.

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

The 135 was ISP saying that's max speed. But I guess that could be theoretical. The 42mbit was speed test.

But I get 84mbit on my FTTN on 100mbit plan but when capped to 50mbit I get 47mbit. Where the 3mbit go? is that loss from node to me in copper? and when on 100mbit I am getting around 87mbit at the node?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. caspian

caspian Member

SQ speeds are theoretical only, there's no actual test involved. until you can actually sync a modem up you won't know for sure.

NBN speed tiers are layer 2 speeds by government direction. throughput will be lower, 3% less than product speed is effectively perfect.

was that 84/87Mbps a layer 1 sync speed or a layer 3 throughput speed?

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

No idea.. just what my speedtest.net result came back with every time (or thereabouts)

Whats the difference between layer 1 sync speed or layer 3 throughput?

19. caspian

caspian Member

that's layer 3 speed. layer 1 is connectivity speed.

20. alexc

alexc Member

Interesting.

I swapped my decent Fritzbox 7490 for the Internode Technicolor TG789vac v2, and I did see an increase in sync speeds.

I'm wondering if I can get more. The NBN tech reckons he got 35Mpbs down on his testing device. But I can only sync at 3.74 Mbps / 22.85 Mbps.

Apparently I'm 1400m from the node, and no, I dont have a bridge tap thing :)

So, erm... theres a lot of data on that report: https://acma.gov.au/-/media/Consume...ormance-testing_outcomes-report-pdf.pdf?la=en

Any ideas based on my stats which modem would be best?

Maybe the Billion 8900X, as it gets 73% on a noisy line?

https://imgur.com/yUq8S4i

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019