The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. pepsimax

pepsimax Member

I got the node earlier in the week that my NBN (fttc) is available. Curious question will a Netgear d7000 modem router be fine? Or should I look at an upgrade.

2. ajb

ajb Member

NBN Question which has me somewhat confused.

My sister in law built a new house in an area where they had internet provided by Optus Cable (HFC). Now that they have moved back in the NBN connection looks like it is due in June 2020 and it is classed as a "Service Class 20"

She has organised to be connected to Telstra and they have come and installed the Network Termination Device outside and that seems to connect to a data cable port (via cat 6 cable) in the garage which is not terminated (maybe that is for future NBN connection use?) There is a phone connection port in the same garage so I am assuming they will be using an ADSL2 connection until not converts to NBN?

I thought the Network Termination Devices where for NBN connections but I might be mistaken, does anybody have any idea?

3. caspian

caspian Member

in NBN parlance, the NTD is the modem. for HFC, anything outside is just a plastic box for joining the internal cable to the external one, and maybe installing a booster amp or attenuator.

Telstra won't be installing anything to accommodate a future NBN install, they will do what they need to to get their connection working.

difficult to say based on your description, but no HFC connection uses twisted pair copper, be it CAT5 or lesser, so an ADSL connection sounds possible. photos would help. it's also quite possible for there to be an external cable jointing box to be fitted outside, but again it's just a box unless it actually says the letters NTD on it, which carries a special connotation.

4. ajb

ajb Member

Thanks, picture of the outside box. All I can see is that CAT5 cable runs to a placeholder in the wall. Since there is no NBN connection in the street I am assuming it it going to be an ADSL2 connection using that phone port which is already installed. Telstra have sent the modem and a Telstra Cable adaptor connection kit which there is no connection for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. caspian

caspian Member

this is going to be a make-some-popcorn one. that's a copper NTD (which should be fitted if a central filter or overvoltage protector is present), the CAT 5 cable can only carry data or ADSL, but they've sent you a cable install kit. unless this is just the normal Telstra application of Hanlon's Razor, I can only theorise that:

(1) they're going to supply ADSL and they've given you the wrong kit, plus used an NTD housing unnecessarily
    or
    (b) they're going to drag HFC in from the street, in which case the copper NTD has been used inappropriately, and I have NFI what purpose the run of CAT5 serves.

the latter is a possibility, I can see a draw string in the lower conduit and if you're NBN SC20 it means you're in an area currently served by Telstra HFC which will one day become NBN HFC, but it does sound like the classic Telstra confusion over what's going on.

have they given you an install appointment date and time?

6. ajb

ajb Member

Next Friday but I am not sure what he is coming to do. I was not there when the NTD box was installed but he said it was good to connect when they left :). I did not think they would connect up the HFC cable again and they would provide the service via ADSL. If they use the HFC cable they will need to run RG6 cable I assume to some point into the house. Very confusing...

Can that Cat5 cable have an RJ45 connector and connect to the DSL line on the Telstra Modem?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. caspian

caspian Member

sure, but then I don't see why anyone needs to come back out if the line has already been run through from the street and the internal twisted pair cabling is already done. or why they'd send you a cable router kit. or why they'd fit an NTD housing when one isn't warranted.

sit back and wait until Friday I suppose.

8. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Apparently the max speed of 50mbit connection is 47.6mbit not because of loss etc, but because NBN uses base 2 on their end not base 10?

Can anyone confirm?

9. caspian

caspian Member

base is a coax network concept not applicable to DSL.

as I said above, 50Mbps is a layer 2 speed. you will not be able to achieve 50Mbps layer 3 throughput across that due to transmission overheads.

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

"We weren't sure what to do so we installed everything" :lol:

11. caspian

caspian Member

this sprang immediately to mind:

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why. With Telstra, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and no one knows why.

Perko, 1dongchen and TheWedgie like this.
  12. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

13. caspian

caspian Member

nope, I don't do HFC. I can hit the people who do with a nerf ball from here, though.

14. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hahahahahahaha. Do it! With video please :lol:

I had read that Docsis 3.1 was always on the horizon and was able to achieve those speeds. Great to see it acknowledged.

On that basis, the cost of higher speed plans for HFC and Fibre will need to drop significantly.

Cheers :D

15. caspian

caspian Member

why would there be any expectation of a price drop? the cost of delivering a gigabit service on either technology has not changed for the introduction of DOCSIS 3.1.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  16. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

why?

the price will remain artificially inflated, the NBN has to turn a profit after all:
    [​IMG]

17. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Sorry, I should rephrase that.

At the current pricing models, take up of high speed tiers is restricted for the everyday family due to the cost. As mentioned above, this is due to the expected return of profit to the NBN.

I currently pay for a plan 250/100 + 1200Mb data at $205 per month.

Not many can afford that. I would expect a 1Gbps connection would be orders of cost higher (here). If priced too high, then uptake will be low. That being the case, why spend the money now on upgrading to docsis 3.1 for a percentage of NBN customers on HFC.

If NBN Co. had rolled out the 93% fibre, then with little to no additional expenditure needed, 1000/1000 plans we easily be more achievable with less additional cost (purchase the HFC network from Telstra and Optus at $billions).

Our closest Neighbour (NZ) and Chorus are offering 950/500 on a 12 month contract $59.99 with unlimited data

[​IMG]

NBN Co. its new owner and or the current government will need to review the pricing structure to encourage take up of high speed plans for both HFC and FTTP. I appreciate the counter argument, that if you want it, you will pay. Yes some will, but only to a point.

Cheers

caspian I have also sent you a PM. Not sure if you got it?

18. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

From memory Docsis 3.1 is required to enable TC-2 services on HFC.

Price dimensioning will come into play more and more as the years roll on, however some would argue the margin of an ISP is greater under the old model.

Keep in perspective, your water or electricity connection is a similar utility price to what NBN is charging, until most people need 100+ Mbps, the baseline throughout won't rise. We're starting to see a strong push to 50mb/s universal access, this may grow to 100 within 5 years to stay relevant otherwise the NBN becomes a white elephant.

19. leighr

leighr Member

And the members of this forum are probably going to have a higher perceived need than the general population and can't be extrapolated out to general community expectations.

20. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Hey Caspian, are you able to find out what the hold up is in regards to my place going RFS - most of my street is now purple, with just the top dozen or so houses and aparments stating June 2020 date? Let me know what details to PM you if you can check :)