The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Perko

Perko Member

Not even that, it's more like "25Mbps attainable at least at some time through the day", that's why fixed wireless is a congested dog, because it doesn't have to not be.

2. callan

callan Member

I believe I discovered the reason for the outage (which ran from 8:00AM to 2:45PM) , and the cause was not the NBN - rather they were the victim. Seems a series of power poles nearby were replaced today, and whilst our street has all underground wiring those nearby are not - and HFC cables were strung across those replaced, and were disconnected for the duration, for safety.

Callan

3. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Part of me always wonders how much angst would be averted if outage notifications like these actually included the reason why, especially if it's due to a third party.

Sure some people would still be annoyed/angry, but at least it would be directed at the right company.

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

caspian have you got any contacts to get a network outage investigated? I need to get some blockages cleared from a pipe as its causing an intermittent loss of service

5. caspian

caspian Member

send me the details if you like, and I will see if I can find anything.

I finally managed to run down the exact planned outage in question, here is the copy-and-paste text of what was sent to the providers with affected services:

6. callan

callan Member

Hmm - most annoying that this wasn't passed through. Thanks for digging that up, Caspian.

Got the invoice for the Technology Choice thinggy late yesterday - better get on to paying that this arvo :)

Callan

7. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

WTF, you have to pay 11grand?

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

And if you're lucky you might get 50mbit during peak times

Hive likes this.
  9. Hive

Hive Member

"Don't worry 5G will solve everything"

Welcome to the land of bandaids.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

The price of getting away from the Libs "Mediocre Technology Mandated" version of nbn.

Comical, considering it wouldn't have cost anywhere near that amount per house if they'd done the job properly in the first place.

That depends how much you want to pay for a service provider. If 11k is a viable option, so may be paying for a business grade service with low/no contention.

11. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

I figured that may be the case but didn't want to slag off the ISP without knowing :lol:

12. caspian

caspian Member

the outage notification information got improved as a customer experience improvement thing a few months ago. next week I have to go to a meeting on why our latest direct user experience scores suck. this will be my feedback.

callan and TheWedgie like this.
  13. callan

callan Member

Well FWIW the people I've been dealing with over the Technology Choice matter have been most approachable and helpful.

Callan

14. callan

callan Member

That's cheap, considering that we're in the middle of a large HFC area, and fibre would likely have needed to be drawn from outside. My unfounded suspicion is that there may be some either from a nearby tech. transfer, or perhaps already servicing the (now defunct) road testing authority a short distance away. I'll probably never know (and it truly doesn't matter). I'd budgeted 15-20k but was really expecting an hilariously high figure that I couldn't possibly entertain.

Callan.

15. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

This might be a stupid question, but is it usual to see NBN working in the street/surrounding streets/suburb for the last few weeks, yet the NBNco website still saying NBN isn't arriving until April-June 2020?

16. bryn

bryn Member

Yes, backhaul or audit works will start a long time before go live

the_antipop likes this.
  17. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

fuckin' ey. the install drama has ended!

[​IMG]

18. 6thgear

6thgear Member

Swapped over to NBN last week. FTTN connection, getting 46mpbs from 6pm-12am. Over double what we got previously so pretty happy with it

19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Welp, that was short lived. Connection is unstable.

20. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Hey caspian I know you usually can't comment on future state publicly, however do you foresee support for a 17a to 35b upgrade on the horizon as a smoother evolutionary path to G.Fast?

I'm not certain if its a firmware upgrade on the existing silicone or a whole module swap.