The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. neo2_tas

neo2_tas Member

NBN EE is a separate fibre run and a new NTD. In the sites I have normal FTTP NBN and NBN EE those services are delivered via the existing fibre run and NTD.

2. caspian

caspian Member

no, it's a business grade service NTD. there is a picture on page 9 of this document. it's roughly A4 sized in footprint.

EE is a direct ethernet fibre drop off the network, it's not shared GPON fibre. any sub-enterprise services will be delivered via whatever technology services the location.

normally not long, perhaps a few days.

what did they use to carve that bit out of the top of the conduit, a rabid beaver or something?

3. callan

callan Member

That looks suspiciously "pointy-nosed pliers" shaped.....

Callan

4. caspian

caspian Member

perhaps of interest to some people... the NBN A2A now allows a wider range of things your own tech can do, if you wish. see "Authorised activities Fibre Network" and "Authorised activities HFC Network" in this document.

5. power

power Member

this may interest a few people.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-to-revive-hfc-self-installation-option-532007

6. clonex

clonex Member

well my sync speeds were short lived, last week when it rained the synch speed dropped from 36000kbps to 31000, few days later 28 and now its at 23000.

got home an hour ago, two nbn dudes were up the road. streaming netflix and it stops, modems showing no connection.

drive up the road and apparently the nbn techs been trying to find a pit for 4hrs and something about a fault somewhere along a 90m long piece of copper.

we clearly need more rain

7. rireland

rireland Member

have moved to a fttc connection with the nbn ncd into a telstra smart modem. how do I access the line stats with this setup?

8. caspian

caspian Member

you cannot do so directly. the modem has no user accessible interface. your ISP has access to test tools if required.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  9. callan

callan Member

6 hour "unscheduled outage" on HFC today. Failover to wireless worked well enough, but Jeez these regular, continuing outages are getting on my tits. I simply don't believe this one was "unscheduled" - the line dropped at precisely 8:01AM - just a "CBF going through the hassle of scheduling this, just pull the pin and call it "unscheduled".No-one will know the difference, and even if they do they can't do anything about it....
    Time to crank the handle on getting moved to this shiny fiber glowing above the comms cabinet..

Callan

10. caspian

caspian Member

didn't we do this exercise a few pages back, and I established your ISP was most certainly notified, they just didn't trouble themselves to tell you?

11. callan

callan Member

Perhaps indeed - I do not know.. Last time there was at least some notice, if not the reason behind it. THIS time there was no notice - I only noticed when went to check the router failover status. My only "warning" was a message through my ISP's app (and an Email) an hour after it started, and 3 hours after it finished.
    Telstra ALSO listed it as an unscheduled outage (I checked on their status page), not just my ISP (and my stepdaughter, on NBN HFC through Telstra in a neighboring suburb was also affected), so I think the situation is more than a little different this time around.

Callan

12. caspian

caspian Member

if the customer wasn't notified of planned work before it began, by the contractually defined lead time, then it gets treated as an unplanned outage, yes. subsequently discovering planned work that just wasn't passed on doesn't alter that.

I agree the timing sounds like planned work by some entity.

13. callan

callan Member

I'm pretty sure it was. It's also likely the NBN was not warned about it, and could only react to it. I expect they'll be some follow-up: Foxtel won't have been best pleased, either: this outage affected several suburbs.....

Please understand I'm not sticking it to you OR the NBN - As I indicated I have had a satisfactory failover setup for some time - satisfactory enough that it was just a bit of latency that prompted me to check the failover status, only to discover that the NBN connection had dropped, as had Foxtel Cable.
    Consider it chafing at the stupid, short-sighted decision-making at parliamentary level that got us into this mess in the first place.

I'll have a chat with my "NBN customer representative" tomorrow and, as I said before crank the handle on getting this fresh-minted fiber connection provisioned..

I don't suppose it's possible to keep the HFC as a failover :D
    Actually no, scrap that - conventionally one should make your more reliable connection the failover.

Callan

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  14. caspian

caspian Member

I can't even find the unplanned outage notification to try and find out what wasn't advised as per process. if you want to send me your street name (don't need number) I can look further if you like.

15. callan

callan Member

Thanks - Sent.

Callan

16. caspian

caspian Member

thanks, appreciate it. I gave up looking for the ticket manually, the HFC team have their own terminology I'm not familiar with.

United Energy took down the power to the area under a planned outage they had listed on their own site but we had to knowledge of. the responsible team is doing a followup with the provider so see where the process failed.

17. callan

callan Member

Cool - thanks for the follow up. This didn't seem to have the tint of an NBN-caused outage to it.

Callan

18. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

NBN connection process ?

The NBN rollout site is still saying 'build commenced' but my existing ADSL provider Internode rang today and told me that supposedly we'll get NBN availability on 8 November ! Awesome ! If true.

Mine will be an HFC connection.

When it comes to ISP's I'll be choosing between Aussie BB, Superloop, and Future Broadband. I know all are good so will just come down to who is offering the best deal at the time.

I'm wondering what the actual process is though.
    We had someone come out and whack an NBN box on the outside wall in May 2018... setting me up with false expectations.

Anyway let's say I look at the various offerings once I'm advised of actual availability, and choose an ISP and sign up with them.

What do they actually do?

Do they run a cable from said box up through the roof space and down to my wall where the existing internet connection thing is?

If I supply the modem do I give that to them on the day or is the cabling the extent of what they do?

Just like an idea of the process please so I know what to expect.

19. caspian

caspian Member

they will run cable to a new wall socket inside and install the modem. you cannot supply the modem but what router you use is up to you and your ISP.

20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

that's what they did here recently.
    ...so instead of one modem/router combo ive had for umpteen years, it is now an nbn modem , plus the router from the ISP.

with a new coax. outlet from the wall ....fttn...(or to the curb..dunno)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019