The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

I am talking about speed tiers.

2. Nerb

Nerb Member

When choosing an isp (for a fttc connection), can I ask them about their cvc allocation? Is the sales person expected to know? And what is a good number?
    My area comes online in January, and I'd like to stick with my current isp (internode) but seems everyone likes abb around here. Is the best comparrison for likely performance the cvc's?

3. shift

shift Member

And yet another ready for service date passes, and pushed back another month.

2 years of straight up lies now.

4. caspian

caspian Member

Ok, your revised RFS date is Dec 31 2049. anything faster than that will be underpromising and overdelivering. happy now?

5. caspian

caspian Member

it is one factor and on recent history a major factor. that said, the latest pricing changes to cross-POI CVC pooling should eliminate any remaining reason for this to be an issue at all.

however, issues beyond the RSP's network like peering bandwidth, international routing etc will still be differential factors between providers.

6. shift

shift Member

Still useless for basing business decisions on.

If I had known two years ago that it wasn't really a few months away, we would have paid for third party fibre.

But no, because NBN has to pad its figures so it looks like they're actually doing something with the HFC mess we get "Planned for Novermber 2017... no wait, we meant Janurary 2018, opps sorry that was meant to be March, oh no we really meant May, oh well August for sure... sorry November, well really January 2019, oh that was meant to be April, or perhaps June... or September, November, December"
    And now bumped to January 2020...

How do I get a date that's actually based in reality?

7. caspian

caspian Member

things change, shit sometimes happens. the world isn't carved into stone.

as I just illustrated, if given a date that can't possibly be wrong, you don't like it. if given a date that was correct at the time of issuance, but then had to be changed because circumstances changed, you don't like it. can't win, so no point trying.

8. shift

shift Member

I can accept there are good reasons for the first estimate to be wrong, and second... but by the time they've had nearly a dozen goes at it they should have figured it out.

The fact that you treat this level of stuffing around as a normal experience and not an outlier, just shows how completely munted the entire project is.

flu!d likes this.
  9. caspian

caspian Member

like I said, strive for accuracy and people complain. give an answer that can't possibly be wrong and people complain.

this is why people stop listening and just get on with it, and deal with any issues as they arise.