1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

reason 14,937 not to use Telstra when you have a choice.

the_antipop likes this.
  2. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I'm just glad they accepted a no lock in contract. Give them a whirl (already on them for my cable), if they drop to 20mbit upload, or are just generally shit, I'm packing up and moving to Aussie BB.

3. leighr

leighr Member

I thought you'd be higher by now.

4. caspian

caspian Member

I broke my 16 bit limit and had to start recycling.

leighr likes this.
  5. Martyn

Martyn Member

When we first moved in, we had a tech come out from Telstra to install a central splitter on account of having several landline phones & the modem upstairs.

I've just put in an order for FTTN which (at this stage) has been confirmed for late May.

Do I need to look at having the central splitter removed, or should it be fine to leave as is, without it affecting performance? Reading online, I think I can leave it in place, but looking for someone to confirm who has first hand experience.

Edit : current ADSL2+ speeds are 20/0.8, even in peak hour. I'm guessing that based on this, I should get well in excess of 50/20 on FTTN, so have ordered 100/40.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  6. caspian

caspian Member

I've had variable experiences with central filters. theoretically a central filter is a low-pass device that prevents DSL signal from being sent to the wiring legs without a modem connected so it should just work automagically, but practice has shown that the quality of design and construction plays a large part in operation.

best to try it first as is and see how you go before spending money. worst case, just have the splitter bypassed and have the incoming line connected directly through to the socket with the modem as a minimal fix.

7. Martyn

Martyn Member

8. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

So I called Telstra on Friday morning about my NBN, where I signed up to be changed over from cable to NBN. Should I have received some communication from Telstra on Friday outlining those changes? I've received no communication...

The operator did mention that an NBN tech wasn't available until about the 6th of April, so maybe close to that date?

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

were you given an order number? https://www.telstra.com.au/support/account-payment/track-update-online-order

Also, Telstra staff were sent the below;

10. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

No I wasn't. Hopefully that comes through soon. I posted the same question on Whirlpool and someone in my same situation (switching from Cable to NBN HFC) said it took Telstra 3-5 days to email him after the initial phone call to get switched over.

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

pm me your username (the @bigpond.com), i'll look into it

the_antipop likes this.
  12. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Wonder how the NBN is holding up.

Would love to see some capacity and utilisation numbers if they could be made available. :)

13. Recharge

Recharge Member

with PM suggesting media companies self limit data speeds.. yea, it's not.
    funny that, GG Liberal party, you "cheaper and just as good build" is doing fucking great.

14. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

See that's why I'd like to see numbers from NBN.

With increased usage, the most likely bottle neck is RSP CVC. And the way to overcome that is for RSP's to purchase more from NBN, but that comes at a cost which needs to be passed on to consumers. Not an ideal position for anyone.

My guess is that the actual NBN network is still performing with spare capacity.

15. caspian

caspian Member

unfortunately I cannot mention numbers, but put it this way - even the increased business hours traffic is well below what happens every night and weekend day even pre the current circumstances. the outside-business-hours netflix and youtube data binge is considerably more than WFH generates.

the most traffic we have ever moved was actually driven by the launch of COD2 and we're well short of that.

if people burn more data, the ISP orders more CVC, simple. personally I'm saving about $165 a month in commuting fees alone which would buy far more data than anyone would use working from home.

(as a point of comparison, ABB will sell anyone a 100Mbps plan with unlimited data for $99. and my $165 saving is extra above what people would already be paying anyway.)

I'm sure the usual anti-NBN doomsayers will claim it's a potential crisis, though - haters gonna hate.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    TheWedgie, callan and sir_bazz like this.
  16. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Thanks man.

Enough information there to confirm what I thought.

17. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

So,
    I’m changing over from Telstra cable to Telstra HFC NBN. I’ve already got the smart modem 2, so Telstra have sent out the nbn connection box.
    I was just wondering if I switched out my cable connection box for the new nbn one (when it arrives), will it work out of the gate, or do I have to wait for the nbn tech to come next week?

Speaking of the nbn tech coming - apparently nbn co have “rejected my order”? Are they not processing new connections/sending out technicians in this pandemic?

caspian - you might be able to assist?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  18. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

19. callan

callan Member

A change like that would make me a happy panda!

vladtepes likes this.
  20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

as i advised in PM, i've escalated your issue. It's nothing to do with corona (your order rejection) but at least Telstra, they've prioritized some connections over others in terms of sending out techs (eg; new connections over transfers, medical priority customers, etc etc)

vladtepes and the_antipop like this.