1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

2. caspian

caspian Member

HFC I think.

3. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

4. callan

callan Member

Can always tell HFC from fibre: HFC has a nasty inbuilt latency. (our speedtest latency dropped from 9-11ms down to 1-2ms when we tech changed from HFC to fibre)

Callan

5. caspian

caspian Member

an additional 8-9ms of latency is nasty?

a couple of hundred ms would not be desirable, but most users wouldn't even notice 8-9ms.

sir_bazz and vladtepes like this.
  6. callan

callan Member

Just a bit with gaming. I do concede, though I am being needlessly precious , particularly when I am still happy playing WoW on a US server at 160ms...(although my healing spells do suffer).
    Vlad's 50fold increase in throughput is kinda more a big deal!

Callan

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    vladtepes likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

I will admit I am stunningly uninterested in latency for gaming - it's not on my radar.

perhaps of interest - the PTS says that RTD is no different for HFC than FTTP - I know it's only TC-1 in the below table, but that's because TC-2 for HFC doesn't launch until May (I suspect DOCSIS 3.1 rollout needs to be completed to augment bandwidth to support the product). functionally I expect the technologies to continue to behave the same. the only difference between TC-2 and TC-4 is that CVC booking rates are left within the control of the RSP for the latter, there is no technical reason TC-4 FD would be any different to TC-1 or TC-2.

section 7.1 of https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/da...-product-technical-specification-20191217.pdf

8. bryn

bryn Member

Hey caspian, in an hfc install in a commercial mdu, is nbn responsibke fir cabling into the premises?

the installer has said they cant run the cable from the riser into the premises and that “we” have to arrange it, which sounds... odd

9. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I have HFC in an apartment complex and NBNCo did the lead-in

10. caspian

caspian Member

I'm not a HFC expert, but my understanding is that NBN is responsible all the way to the wall socket. it's not twisted pair phone cabling so the same rules do not apply as would for FTTB.

11. bryn

bryn Member

that's pretty much what I thought, thanks

12. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

What's the tale with (estimated) ready for service dates in FTTC areas? Is that pretty much a case of somebody turns the whole area on, and anyone who's already got a functioning copper lead in will most likely be able to order from then, or do most properties take a while longer to have service available for order?

Our area (4TWO-64) has an estimated RFS of 24th april, and given how torturous video conferencing over adsl is it'd Sure Be Nice (TM)

14. leighr

leighr Member

My personal experience (no statistically valid) was that I ordered from my ISP (ABB) a few weeks before the go live date and they booked a tech for the day of go live, or the day after, can't remember exactly. Existing lead in used, up and running within a couple of hours of the tech arriving.

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

some ISP's are stopping transition orders (Telstra is one of them) until further notice

16. caspian

caspian Member

I can't comment on the percentage of premises that require additional work (and it would be a network average that means nothing to an individual instance anyway), but certainly the considerable majority of premises can order a service from day one.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  17. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

18. Rass

Rass Member

So, bit of a question for those in tech roles at ISPs or NBN ... what information is available to the ISPs in regards to congestion and utilisation? A friend of mine is having issues with FTTC and really high latency (750ms).... he was speaking to a tech at his ISP who said he couldn't see any issues. I'm wondering if the tech would have information just about the local ISPs backhaul, the point to point connection or anything like that.

19. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Latency on my FTTC connection is 5-7ms through Belong/Telstra.

Who's the RSP?

Before blaming the RSP though, the first thing is to rule out local issues. Is your friend checking on wired or wireless connection? Have they tried a different router? Are there other phone points in the house? (If so, these need to be disconnected...)

20. Rass

Rass Member

TPG. Everything else disconnected, using wired.
    No idea if they have access to another router.