1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Depends on what your time is worth to you I guess. Especially if you work from home time == money etc.

I often have to download VM's and setup random thigns requiring a heavy amount of downloading, my 50mb slows my work down so I'm trying to find other options. Same with 10mb up which is killing my workflow

And from a games perspective, the latest call of duty has a habit of spitting out 35gb updates in a hit, I'd love to not have to check for updates an hour before I start a game hey. Especially when my evenings are time constrained already.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    JSmithDTV likes this.
  2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Sorry mate, I'll need you dirty consumers to justify to me personally why your ENTERTAINMENT requires any more than 12mbit
    /s

JSmithDTV likes this.
  3. caspian

caspian Member

between the 50Mbps connection and 1000Mbps one there are existing 100, 250 and 500Mbps connections, all with the same or considerably more upload.

arguments using online gaming as a raison d'ĂȘtre are not going to elicit a sympathetic response from me, sorry.

4. millsy

millsy Member

My point is you're saying there's no 'valid' consumer reason for a single gigabit connection, but I put up some (for me) valid reasons. Your rebuttal is that online gaming is not a valid reason, missing the bigger point I was trying to make, which is:

For me not having to wait for stuff is important, my time is precious to me.​

What I read from your comment is that my reason is not valid when I could just be waiting 10/20x as long to get to the same point. I personally don't see how that's not a valid reason but such is the point of forums, having discussions :)

I used gaming as a common residential example, with the latest games doing updates in 30-90gb at a time. This is becoming the new norm. That's not to say it's the only valid use case, but it's certainly the more common one.

I'll be interested to see how Aussie's POI's go with CVC, I hope they provide some historical stats for comparison, I expect they will, seem to be a pretty great company :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Because I want one and I'm willing to pay for it? Surely that should be enough of a valid 'need' case.

Audionut and JSmithDTV like this.
  6. caspian

caspian Member

no, that's a want. and certainly not enough to structure a network build around for a tiny minority of users willing to pay for it, regardless of why.

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

No, if someone is willing to pay for it then that should be enough of a need, regardless of the perceived minority.

Its 2020, gimmie Gigabit or goto hell.

8. caspian

caspian Member

nope, wants are not needs.

willingness to pay for it is a different matter again. if people are willing to waste their money on stuff they don't need, I don't care - it's their money. but I do require that enough are willing to do so to make it commercially viable. that means enough people actually putting their hand into their pocket, not wishful perception. until that happens, see you in hell.

9. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

I think having a working broadband connection would be a "need".
    Having that connection at gigabit speed is a "want".

But I'm gonna revise Maslow's hierarchy and prepare some popcorn in case this turns into a psychology thread.

caspian likes this.
  10. leighr

leighr Member

Given the extremely low takeup of the technology switch (or whatever it is called), it would seem a lot of us may want it, but aren't willing to pay for it.

11. millsy

millsy Member

Are you referring to changing from FTTN to FTTP and similar?

12. leighr

leighr Member

Yep that's the one. I can turn my existing connection into a gigabit capable FTTP, but I don't want to pay for it.

13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

If only someone had proposed to do FTTP in the first place :(

Dilbery and CQGLHyperion like this.
  14. millsy

millsy Member

There's a big difference between don't want to and can't afford.

https://medium.com/@ants000/the-farce-of-nbns-technology-choice-program-94b05181fd19

It's pretty well documented by those who have paid how variable and high the pricing can go. I could afford up to about 5k but for my place it's going to be up to 18k which I just flat out cannot afford unfortunately.

15. Jazz

Jazz Member

I'm looking to break my telstra contract a few months early, and change to Aussie bb, the driving force is the availability of 100mbs plan on Aussie.

Is there a way to test my line before hand to see if it is suitable to upgrade from my current 50mbs plan?

16. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Can you up your plan with Telstra for a month?

17. millsy

millsy Member

Does your telstra router report line statistics? Should tell you your sync speed.

18. Jazz

Jazz Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm on FTTN, where telstra don't offer 100mbs.

The telstra smart moden I have has basic stats. I have an asus dsl-ac68 I replaced due to mediate chipset, it has better line stat's reporting. How do I interpret line speed? Haven't looked at that sort of thing since the billion 7800n was a thing.

TheWedgie likes this.
  19. MELso76

MELso76 Member

https://futurebroadband.com.au/sq/

What's the TC-4 speed?

20. leighr

leighr Member

If I needed it, I'd probably find a way to come up with the money. But it's a want, not a need, so I won't.

Yep, that would have been awesome, but we lost that fight in 2013. Can only spend so much time regretting past decisions.