1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

It is self install, at least with Aussie. Plug the NCD into the phone line, plug router into NCD.

2. caspian

caspian Member

Telstra gave great support. their outsourced rubbish through Teletech and their ilk, not so much.

when Telstra allowed Teletech to offshore the contract to the Philippines for a cost saving, that was the nail in that coffin. once management start down the path of believing it's OK to deliver shit as long as it's cheap, there is rarely any return.

3. caspian

caspian Member

I helped design that kit. I'd like to believe someone would have to work really, really hard to screw it up. but the number of people I have spoken to over the years who have managed to get USB-B plugs into ethernet sockets has resigned me to the fact that a certain failure rate is unavoidable.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Gibbon likes this.
  4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

If it's a case of your network rack placement then i'd definitely just get the cabler to do a new rj11 near it and run that to the incoming phone line on the premises. It's prob going to be your cheapest and easiest option.

I doubt the existing cables in your place need replacing but the convenience of having ALL the network stuff together is far better option than just using the existing port and running ethernet cables imo (technically if in the wall you need someone to do it anyway iirc

5. alexc

alexc Member

And apparently according to ABB, it still doesn’t apply to co-existence.

So I’m still farked. I could be in coexistence for years to come.

Guess I’ll have to hope 5G gets to me :-/

6. pezzy

pezzy Member

just signed up with abb with phone. i want to keep using my current landline phone. i just need to connect it to a voip adapter like the Grandstream HT801 correct?

7. mareke

mareke Member

The modem that TPG supplied when I signed with them for fibre to the node was configured for voip. When I signed up with TPG I included voip paying only for calls I made. I plugged my existing digital phone into the assigned place on the back of the modem and I was able to make & receive calls using voip. I wasn't able to keep my old number due to moving house but had I stayed at my previous place I could have kept my existing number. I didn't need to do anything except plug the phone cable into the back of the modem. I still tend to use my mobile though out of habit despite voip calls being much cheaper.

8. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yep - either the modem/router if it has a VoIP port, or an ATA like that HT801.
    I use my own router with ABB FTTC (Ubiquiti USG Pro 4), and it doesn't have VoIP, so I dug out an old Cisco SPA112 that does the job.

ABB will give you the info you need to configure your own ATA if you go that way.

9. pezzy

pezzy Member

thanks guys. im also using a usg. good to know im looking at the right direction :thumbup:.

Gibbon likes this.
  10. AngelMoo

AngelMoo Member

I've been anti-NBN for ages but finally got it connected and today at least, I love them. Installation was easy, internet worked right away, phone line a couple hours later and so far speedtest gives me 47-54 down, 18-19 up... that beats my recent 2-8 down, 1-2 up with frequent drop outs. The guy had to come in to look at the phone ports but put on a mask when I asked him to.

11. caspian

caspian Member

I've been quiet lately but this one is important. extract from the latest internal NBN H&E bulletin, issued late today:

• Field workers required to enter a customer premise (SDU or MDU) anywhere in Victoria must wear an appropriately rated face mask (n95 or P2) and eye protection.
    • Prior to entering a customer premise an explanation must be provided to the customer explaining that for everyone’s safety, they need to ensure they have instructed all occupants to maintain a social distance of 1.5 metres and that all pets must be secured.
    • All other COVID-19 precautions, including social distancing and good hygiene practices still apply.
    • Field workers who do not have the necessary Personal Hygiene Equipment (PHE) to comply with nbn COVID-19 Safe Operating Procedures must stop work and contact their team leader.
    • Any worker that does not feel safe should hand the ticket back or leave the premises and contact their team leader.

/resume.

AngelMoo likes this.
  12. millen

millen Member

Hmm. I've signed up with AussieBB and am getting FTTC... But I have an appointment with NBN tech on Friday... I kind of assumed they'd just mail out the NCD to me as well...
    Because as above, was wondering how an appointment was going to work considering the Covid situation here in Vjc... Would prefer not to have randoms entering my house...

I also have a USG, so hopefully it goes smoothly...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Usually tech isn't doing much in your house iirc, they just connect your line at the junction box (or whatever it's called), and they'll plug the modem in for you to test but realistically they just need to do the outside stuff and you install box yourself (plug and play) so they can just wait around outside instead if need be. The reason they get them to plug the modem in is to ensure it's working since it's the first connection for that place where as others with a pre-existing and previously connected phone line just get mailed the box.

14. millen

millen Member

Ah ok fair enough.

Will see how it goes I guess.
    Have existing phone line for ADSL2, but first time NBN hook up... They did all of our street, but missed our house for some reason, so we've just been waiting 6 months for them to hook our copper to the fibre. Haha

jpw007 likes this.
  15. jpw007

jpw007 Member

What a cock up, that's hilarious! (Not for you, of course!!)

Since you're on ADSL2 then all they should have had to do was post you the NCD i believe...had they don't things correctly lol

millen likes this.
  16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

The year was 2020, ADSL2+ was still a thing and an onion on the belt was the fashion of the time.

jpw007, JSmithDTV and Hive like this.
  17. cvidler

cvidler Member

2020 pronouced "dickity dickity" because the kaiser....

JSmithDTV likes this.
  18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

It was also the style. ;)

[​IMG]

JSmith

19. lxboston

lxboston Member

Well, I got connected to Aussie Broadband FTTC this morning. Very quick and easy and they installed a new phone socket to replace the broken one. Unfortunately it couldn't be moved, but that's not the end of the world.

Getting the full 100/40 ! So nice upload upgrade from cable.

millen likes this.
  20. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

After getting SMS yesterday morning "Your NBN service is ready", received NCD this afternoon, so connected it up, mandatory 20 minutes later DSL still not lit on NCD

Worked through "Connection not working?" checklist in paper setup guide - still no DSL

Phoned Aussie BB - it's because VOIP port not yet complete :sick:

FSCK, that's an hour of my life down the gurgler

But at least I didn't have to deal with a moribund crowd like Telstra to get the answer :tongue:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020