1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Weird, ABB just mailed me the NCD, no NBN appointment. I'd give them a call and ask them. If you have a functional phone line and had ADSL already, there's no reason for an NBN appointment.

2. millen

millen Member

So, doing a bit more research... Popped my address into the ABB POI checker, and we come up as service class 32, so if I understand correctly, the NBN appointment for tomorrow will be them connecting it up properly in the pit outside...
    So that we then get to class 33, at which point I can plug in the NCD that hopefully the NBN tech will have.
    Cool.

Also, you guys with Ubiquiti USGs, is there any settings I need to put in there? Or the NCD handles it all on the other end?
    Just clear out my ADSL2 connection settings from the the USG it should be right to go?

Gibbon and jpw007 like this.
  3. pezzy

pezzy Member

the upload is what im most excited about. although im going with the 50/20, it will still theoretically be 10x faster.

i got an sms from them stating the expected date for the porting to be complete. it will be around 2 weeks after the technician/activation date.

lxboston likes this.
  4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

With ABB you just need to set your WAN to DHCP, and that's it.

Capturexx.PNG

pfrcom and millen like this.
  5. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

? VOIP solution to go with new NBN connection

Replacing analogue Telstra phone at one end of house, and cordless phone/answering machine at other end where router and NCD is also located

Started off thinking about replacing Telstra phone with wireless VOIP, but get impression that's not very reliable tech

Now wondering about DECT solution, with a DECT VOIP base station near and connected by ethernet to router, driving perhaps two DECT handsets

Am I getting warm here?

Advice/recommendations please

6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's staggering to me that people still want home phones, I've never had one since moving out of my mum's house over a decade ago.

Is it for the benefit of elderly family members or something?

7. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Some WFH jobs require a landline.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

wtf?

unless you're stuck in the 80's and need a fax machine what is a landline going to do a mobile cannot?

9. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

In our area, work - mobile performance is diabolical

10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I've had a mate who can't for the life of him get decent mobile reception in his home though i'm sure it's the exception to the norm in metro areas, but for whatever reason i've seen jobs advertised during the whole COVID where they specifically require a landline#....Perhaps routing calls to Landline is cheaper than sending it to a mobile?

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm in the opposite situation I see, better mobile coverage than NBN - so much so I use a non-NBN service - fixed wireless but not mobile.

12. bryn

bryn Member

that's what voice over wifi is for!

13. millsy

millsy Member

If it works, I've found it's pretty hit and miss

14. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

15. alexc

alexc Member

Such as? :)

call centre jobs maybe?

but wouldn’t that be a supplied voip phone or something?

I’m curious :)

Modern corporates literally have no desk phones - you get a mobile on day 1.

16. millen

millen Member

Just an update from Friday, Telstra/NBN tech came and tried to hook up the NTD, didn't work, so he wandered up the street, connected up the line, came back, and away it connected. easy.

Got my USG all right and it's been working pretty well, last night it dropped out a couple of times, and had to wait a minute or two for it to reconnect, but it has been solid so far tonight.
    Tech said my port was capable of 109Mbps apparently... I'm only on a 50/20 plan, so seems to be maxing it out, as speed test shows below.

Happy so far.

Attached Files:

17. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Feel free to research yourself for a variety of office based jobs, including customer service, accounting, tax etc.

Plenty of multi-nationals don't waste the extra needless money on a mobile that a user is going to break and isn't needed for office based staff. Even with the prevalence of Skype et al, a phsyical phone is still the most reliable system for calling other offices inc those based overseas.

It also means you don't need additional licencing costs for deviced management services (I can't for the life of me recall their name right now) unless staff choose to BYOD if they're in a suitable role. Corporate isn't in the business of wasting money and sure they're making do with mobiles for now due to COVID.

18. romp

romp Member

I'm currently on a 50mbps NBN plan and recently a micronode was deployed a few hundreds metres away and my sync speed increased from 30mbps to 60mbps. I'm curious though - as I'm on a 50mbps plan, does the RSP limit my sync to 60mbps (as it's close to 50mbps) or is this the best sync speed I will receive? Curious if it's worth upgrading to 100mbps or not. SQ tools tell me I can get 90 - 100mbps.

19. romp

romp Member

Call centre jobs - not necessarily. I'm aware of two big call centres running work from home using remote number functions - the system calls the users phone (mobile or I guess you could use your landline), you answer it and then it connects the call. I know of another using softphones which is exactly the same arrangement as the normal work office.

20. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Most modems indicate what you are syned at and the max possible:

Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate (kbps) 22600 60104
    Max Rate (kbps) 54239 128098

romp likes this.