1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes that's right, $50 each.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Quick question about AussieBB, you get email addresses with them yes?

3. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

I got AussieBB also, my status says awaiting installation. I got all the gear. Does that mean it’s time for me to plug everything in? I don’t want to lose the current internet as I’m working from home.

4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Best to give them a call and confirm. Their support is top notch :thumbup:

millen likes this.
  5. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Yes, <=5 of them

MR CHILLED likes this.
  6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

For those newcomers to ABB: Best to keep an eye out here for all ABB related chat

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/152

ABB Reps are always responsive and professional. Just like other service points: online account, emails, phone, etc. :thumbup:

7. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

I cut over to AussieBB FTTC yesterday

My status changed from Awaiting Installation later in the day after connecting the NCD

Had Internet access shortly after the NCD had its three blue lights lit up

Couldn't set up email addresses until status changed to Installed

8. pezzy

pezzy Member

connected yesterday and the current setup is the nbn connection box sitting around 10m cable length wise away from the router. in this scenario, is it better to have a longer cat6, shorter rj11 connection or shorter cat6, longer rj11? i ask this because i rather the later since a telephone cable is less bulky thus less chance of tripping over the wire hehe. this will be temporary as i will be moving the phone port closer to my router eventually.

9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Feel free to correct me but I think for this distance it is negligible so I would suggest going with the most convenient/safest option that works for your household.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks, handy to know. I don't think I'll use/need them in the end as using isp emails has kept me tied to bigpond for so long, so I've now decoupled myself entirely from them :p

Once I move to AussieBB I'll be completely shut of them once and for all.

11. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

I still do, but established an individual domain to provide ISP independence

Now I use email addresses like givenname@surname.id.au which forward to the ISP address

Side benefit is being able to have, for example, email addresses like medibank@surname.id.au, so if I ever got email not from Medibank to that address, I'd know who's selling contact lists (just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you)

For anyone interested in doing this, essential to use domain registrar who bundles email forwarding - I use Panthur

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Kosti likes this.
  12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Offtopic, but hey - I've been doing this for years, and it works great when dealing with the machines, but it freaks out the humans every time they need to confirm an email address...the number of times I've had to confirm to Amex that yes, my email address really is Ay-Em-Ee-Ex At ....

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice! I'd love to know who has passed on my details before also. I suspect a few big Australian companies but have no proof. I'll get into a more complex email setup sometime in the near future.

14. Hive

Hive Member

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, my new (installed about a week ago) FTTP connection consistently slightly overperforms, more like 109Mbit/s on a 100 plan.

17. Hive

Hive Member

TCP over provisioning

theSeekerr likes this.
  18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Day 2 of our FTTC connection.

Yesterday it took ages with issues then finally worked long enough to give me false hope. Upped it to 100/40 plan as ABB's portal showed something like 105/45 as sync speeds then not long after the NCD lost connection and has been flashing red since....So apparenlty issues powering the DPU. Fuck me. A tech's booked in for tomorrow afternoon.

Had about 45 minutes of bliss with the 50/40 getting real speeds of 47/22.

What a fucking whirlwind. Spent hours dicking around with it all too. God damn.

19. Hive

Hive Member

When it was installed did they eliminate all other phone outlets in the house or disconnect them? Assume you were ADSL prior did you get decent speeds?

20. romp

romp Member

Whilst it's good to rule it out, ADSL speeds achieved prior to NBN being connected may not have much relevance. I was syncing at 21-22mbps on ADSL2+ before connecting to the NBN. When NBN was deployed, that dropped to 8mbps. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Always a good idea for FTTN (and I assume FTTC is no different) to get additional phone sockets disconnected. My memory is a bit foggy but doing this bumped me up from syncing at 8mbps to 21mbps. Having a sympathetic RSP also then compelled NBN to attend at the pillar I was connected too and with some trouble shooting, that got me up to 36mbps. Then there was a slow slide down to 30mbps which is where it sat until a micronode and pillar was deployed only a few hundred metres away.