1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Hive

Hive Member

The NCD powers the DPU in the street. Maybe flaky wiring? The power to the DPU isn't huge but might have been enough to damage it if it was already subpar.

My guess is just that

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You just can't please anyone :D

Well my NBN journey will start Aug 3, my install date : )

3. Hive

Hive Member

Your life will change forever from this date onwards, for the better or most likely for the worse.

Go to your doctor and ask for a prescription of Valium.

raincloudx likes this.
  4. caspian

caspian Member

or Bunnings and get a bag of cement.

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Yeah i figure similar but the guy pulled some of the wiring through and replaced the socket and it's all perfect now so maybe more likely the port? (Could a build up of dust caused it to fry?)

Haven't tested the bedroom port (to see if that's now working too) since he fixed this one but honestly i never will as there's no point. It would confirm if it was purely internal or something else.

Funny thing though is we have a pit right outside our house however our DPU allocation was a port down the road lol.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I most definitely believe you.

raincloudx likes this.
  7. millen

millen Member

Yeah our FTTK connection was the same. In a pit a couple of houses up, tech checked the pit right out front first, but yeah ended up walking up the street to get it sorted.
    I guess cos the DPU power 4 houses each they chuck em roughly in the middle.

Ours has been pretty good since we got hooked up week and a bit ago, does seem to drop out completely every now and again though, not sure if it's NBN end or something in my setup causing it... Bit everything stops for a minute or so. Then it resumes as normal...

8. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

So I’m connect to Aussie bb. Did their speed test 100mb down 20 up. Looks great . Started to dl a game off steam and peak is 13mb/s

is this “normal” for fttc?

9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

13 MB/s is 104 Mb/s, so yes...

zed_kid likes this.
  10. leighr

leighr Member

Speedtest measures in megabits/sec, Steam measures in megabytes/sec. 100/8 = 12.5, so 13megabytes per second is pretty much spot on what you're paying for.

Edit: Or what he said above.

zed_kid likes this.
  11. cvidler

cvidler Member

you confusing your metrics?

100Mbps = ~13MB/s

12. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

Yes I am haha. I didn’t even know they were different metrics. Thank you

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The amount of text messages and emails I'm getting from NBNCo and my provider for the installation next monday is just off the charts. Every single day for the last week I've had multiple texts and emails.

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Just wanted to plug Aussie Broadband. With their help over my recent issues they did everything they could and booked in the NBN contractor who was out within 24 hours. Then i got a follow up call and subsequent credits regarding the downtime. Super easy to deal with for issues so it makes me have faith in them.

I was on unlimited cable with telstra before which never let me see my usage so it's also cool to be able to see how much i'm using despite being on unlimited with ABB also...So far i've had 5 or so days of service and have used 750GB. I plan on setting up Backblaze soon enough too since i now have decent upload so that'll go up again lol.

ChinoPD, pfrcom and connico like this.
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looking like my modem from AussieBB won't arrive in time for the NBN install Monday, assume that won't matter much as plug in away I go when it does arrive?

16. connico

connico Member

Exactly or just reset your old router and plug that in instead. Assuming you have one that is

MR CHILLED likes this.
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I'll just keep the old Telstra router sitting there just in case it doesn't arrive today.

18. connico

connico Member

Why did you get the AussieBB router anyways? I'd get a mesh router for the fastest possible wireless speeds :p

ChinoPD likes this.
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No particular reason, didn't do any research, but I've recently networked the home so not much reliance on wifi now :p

connico likes this.
  20. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

+1

In addition, their communication and quality of service is top notch. They have a comprehensible easy to read outage pages and will send you numerous courtesy emails for outages that may affect your area. If there was a service provider that intercepts client enquiries in terms of unexpected outages, Aussie Broadband are the only ones that I have found to do it. Ie. I've had unexpected outages and I am literally picking up to call them to only receive a txt message and email to advise of the issue and ETA. Over the phone, the guys are local, very polite, and mostly knowledgeable (I might get a new person who is being trained but have always been clear and professional).

If their service is available anywhere else for half the price, I'd still be happy knowingly paying for twice the price, for Aussie Broadbands services. Not to mention the stability of their services also, and the quality of service (speed, downtime, and speed to my EU seedbox)

11/10 :thumbup:

jpw007 likes this.