1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. bucket23

bucket23 Member

so what specially about the condition will affect in relation to the lengths of fttc that nbn have deployed?

2. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Nothing, FTTC is not copper. Clearly the critical part will be the condition of the existing telecom deployed copper. The length and condition of each lead in will vary wildly, that is what happens when you try to reuse an already ageing network.

I suppose NBN could just replace the leadins, they did buy a crapload of copper after all. :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  3. bucket23

bucket23 Member

How will the existing condition of the copper impact the lengths that nbn will be deploying for FTTC for g.fast? What type of conditions are these and what type of impact will they have?

How does the condition vary? The length won't be an issue as there are predefined length limits used.

4. trevor68

trevor68 Member

just like humans, the condition varies from age my friend ;-)

5. caspian

caspian Member

could have fooled me!

the G.fast solution is designed around the maximum lead-in length. that aside, and to further point out of the fallacy of the "FTTC is not copper" statement, performance will be entirely dependent on the transmission capabilities of the copper between the upstream transceiver and the CPE modem - G.fast is just another flavour of DSL. it works a little different, but so does every form of DSL we've ever had in the country.

predefined maximums, yes - very deliberately designed to support precisely this.

6. Audionut

Audionut Member

So those who have less then say 50m of copper will get g.fast, but those who have in-excess of 50m will not have g.fast available, despite still being able to obtain a higher speed then would otherwise?

7. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Yes, but how does that affect g.fast in the lengths that nbn have deployed for fttc. I suspect you don't actually know as you haven't answered my question at all, just like the other person with their doom and gloom predictions with nothing to back it up.

8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

All your posts have been leading and coming from a 12 year old account with bugger all posts. For someone who was asking such vague questions and also claiming people said things they did not, you suddenly seem to know much more on the subject it seems.

Now I never said shit about FTTN... yet you posted this;
    That is the case here... but g.fast can operate on lines as long as 500m, much of he copper is too old here as Telstra stopped upgrading it assuming it was end of life for cooper in the network. Clearly aiming it short runs is the idea here and was never in dispute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast

Turns out NBN Co have purchased more copper than ever, which has been posted in this thread many times before... do you think they purchased it for fun?

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/06/nbn-co-copper-wire-broadband/

The last part of the copper from the curb and mostly inside many homes and buildings is old and rooted...

I then asked you to refer back to this post, where I stated things in more detail and provided a number of links, including a telco consultant;
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18661006/

Yet you continued on with posting like the posts never occurred...

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/06/nbn-goes-back-to-the-future-with-copper-rollout/
    So what is your game?

JSmith

9. tuRtlez

tuRtlez Member

anyone currently with Superloop? I am looking at signing up and happy to help OCAU member with referral bonus

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    TheWedgie and JSmithDTV like this.
  10. Frinky

Frinky Member

Yep PM me

11. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Way to play the man and not the posts. I asked for specific information as to why the state of the copper was holding up the release of g.fast as you had previously stated it was the reason.
    i just don’t see it as being a valid reason.
    Fttc has a short copper length compared to fttn and I fail to see how the copper state will affect the rollout of g.fast.
    If you’ve got the info, then post it.

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah now your intention here is obvious.
    You need to read what is posted before you claim no info has been posted... others have also fielded your query, yet you seem not to grasp what they are trying to tell you.

JSmith

13. bucket23

bucket23 Member

You’re right there about not grasping it. If possible, could you reply to this post with the specific information on why the condition of the copper is holding up the g.fast rollout for NBN, maybe even what type the condition actually is?

thanks

14. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Thank you all for agreeing and entirely validating what I said, especially the NBN employee.
    I was specifically asked about the fttc that was deployed by NBN and yes that is NOT the existing telecom copper lead in.

Good to see we are all in agreement

15. Audionut

Audionut Member

He did.

https://www.themandarin.com.au/127522-telstra-puts-a-bell-on-the-broadband-cat-and-spays-nbn-co/
    Now, you could argue that Laurie Patton doesn't have all of the information and is incorrect, that is fine.

But clinging onto the pathetic argument you have going, arguing a point for the sake of arguing, without also giving any information yourself to inform the reader......

JSmithDTV likes this.
  16. trevor68

trevor68 Member

BTW if anybody here thinks that telstra laid most of the leadins in Australia, you are wholly unaware of the real age of the copper. Here's a hint, still plenty of equipment out there stamped PMG

17. caspian

caspian Member

I have no idea how you got that out of what I posted. to be very clear: every single FTTC service is designed with a maximum lead-in length such that it can support G.fast. 100%, without exception.

18. Audionut

Audionut Member

Yeah, on paper. What about in the real world where the tech arrives and finds copper stamped with PMG? Does that copper also support G.fast even though it's line length is less then the maximum lead-in length dictated by the NBN?

Telstra says it's copper, which is now NBN's copper sucks balls. We no sell 100 speeds plans anymore, thankyou for shopping at telstra.

19. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Presumably why everyone in our "lifestyle block" suburb now has FTTC except this poor bastard down the end of our street, who built right at the back of his building envelope, and has fixed wireless.

ooo.PNG

MrSnuffy likes this.
  20. bucket23

bucket23 Member

I read the whole article but I couldn't find where it stated the reason for the delay in deploying g.fast was because of the condition of the copper. The article states that the FTTC rollout has been hampered by issues related to g.fast but does not make any statement about it was because of the state of copper.

If it is there, could you please provide the sentence/paragraph?

Thanks.