The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Hmm maybe I screwed up somewhere... Thanks!

2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

ASUS make great home routers. I used to use an RT-AC86U and it was flawless. I now use a Unifi Dream Machine (Base, not pro). The ASUS had better wifi distance coverage, though now i'm in a bigger house i run 2x Unifi NanoHD AP's off the UDM and my phone gets 866MBps which is damn solid.

I'd recommend the ASUS for overall convenience for most users and if i didnt need some of the UDM's features i'd still be on it. I also used Merlin firmware which was great. My old ones a little worse for wear (daughter pulled one of the antennas off...but cable was still connected so it slots back on) otherwise i'd offer you mine for dirt cheap. They're around $200 new atm

3. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I've never had NBN. But doing a little research on the NBN website FTTN and FTTbuilding are the main two scenarios where you need a actual modem. But in other cases such as FFTC (which is what optus says we can get) you only need a router as NBN co installs your gateway for you?

Have I got that right? I will wait until we are actually connected to avoid purchasing the wrong unit however.
    Seems like a really solid unit. Was also looking at the Netgear RAX40 as its in the same price category.

4. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

Yup thats correct in terms of supplying your own modem. If you have FTTC then you can just get something like the tplink deco m5 https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/583225

5. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Thats pretty cool. Much simpler. I guess the question would be is. Do I go for a multi unit mesh or a single expensive router? A mesh system I was looking at was these Linksy units. Anyone have experience with Google Nest?

I do already have my RE650 for extending wifi and it does a fine job. So perhaps a new mesh setup isnt the most cost effective.

I wonder how much a telcom sparky would charge to install a ethernet port in my office. I'm only in a rental so I dont want to invest too much. But if my goal is to have as little latency and maximum stability I would like to avoid wifi on my main PC. For everything else its not a problem.

Either that or I try powerline...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Unless you have a very large house with the AP stuck at one end of it or multiple floors the usefulness of mesh is dubious.

SSJ4 likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

correct. modem required only for FTTB/N. for everything else NBN supplies an NTD with an ethernet connection port.

SSJ4 likes this.
  8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

FTTC as stated you only need a router. The NTD supplied by NBN is the modem.

I haven't seen that Netgear but Wifi6 is a positive (generally i haven't had the best experiences with Netgear however which is why i now stick with ASUS). Depending on your use case, mesh is a bit shitty unless you have a dedicated ethernet backhaul as otherwise it's just a 5Ghz signal connection each iirc, so it's wireless to wireless which is never as good as wired to the AP's. That being said a quality single router will cast a damn decent length signal for most people.

EDIT: More antennas = better yeah? :lol:

https://www.amazon.com.au/ASUS-Wi-F...+TUF-AX3000&qid=1606182849&s=computers&sr=1-1

My old one had 6 antennas i think lol

9. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Ok I did some investigating.

I have 3 RJ ports in my house. I assumed they were phone line. But here they are.

Main bedroom: Closest to front of the house. Telstra terminal box is right outside the window. So safe to assume this is the first access point.
    [​IMG]
    Second Bedroom: Neighbours the main bedroom.
    [​IMG]
    Loungeroom: It's a unit so still very close to the front of the house. But its in a corner which spares a wall with only the garage and outside.

[​IMG]

The real pain in my rear is that my office is the only room without a port. Hmmmm might have to convince the wife to let me swap with our baby lol. But I dont think there is enough room in the office for our baby stuff...

Anyway.

Phone line cables are white insulated and 4 wires correct? So these are definitely cat cables. Just not terminating to the RJ connector as one. So is it safe to assume that I could simply have a NBN tech crimp the wires into the terminal (or do I need new terminals?) and that would provide data to the port?

The big question is how the cables are run. I would guess Telstra box>Mainbedroom> 2nd bedroom > lounge.

But no real way of knowing until someone tests them. Am I on the right track here?

(MODS: If I am taking over this thread too much I will start one LMK)

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Just punch them down yourself, I doubt the NBN tech will be keen to do it.

Main drama will be connecting them up at the other end.

SSJ4 likes this.
  11. caspian

caspian Member

the cabling can be any colour - someone has used network cabling in your instance. it works well well but any pair would work, they have just used blue/white in your case. the line is only 2 wires (one pair). what you're seeing is the line coming into the first socket, then a second cable daisy-chaining to the second socket, and then finally to the third which is the end of the line.

the NBN tech isn't going to touch that as there's existing cabling adequate to purpose - if the line is known to be intact all the way back to the local pillar, then quite likely they won't even come to your house.

what you would ideally do is disconnect the cabling past the port where the modem gets plugged in, to maximise DSL performance. it's not the NBN tech's responsibility to do that as it's your privately owned cabling past the first socket in the premises, although if they do have to come to the house they might if you ask nicely and make the job quick for them. a coffee might help too.

SSJ4 likes this.
  12. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Awesome.

I guess I will need to decide on a setup. I doubt my wife would go for me swapping the office with the babies room. So thats out.

So it means I need a way to deliver fast, reliable and low latency connection to the office.

Option 1: Pay for someone to install a plug in the office. Then buy a decent router. Use my RE650 wifi extender (which has a dual mode ethernet port) to cover deadspots in the house.

Option 2: Buy a decent router. And buy some power line adapters. Using on of them in my office to get access to the network. And another perhaps in the babys room to give max wifi strength to the monitor which is would grab from the port in the wall.

Looks like either way the RE650 was a poor purchase. *edit actually no. The powerline adapters I was looking at dont do wifi. So I can still use the RE650. *phew

Yeh that was kind of my plan. "Morning mate, would you like a coffee?" give him the coffee. Offer him $50 cash to wire up the existing ports.

If it works it works. Otherwise I could just do it myself as Mesaoz suggested.

13. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

useless NBN twats... 8 weeks and still no quote.

14. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, how dare they take a few weeks in the middle of a significant technological restructure to provide you with a quote you'll probably complain is too expensive and won't pay. even thought the work going on is actually making your quote cheaper. bastards, right?!?

well, to my understanding the regulations prohibit people without the necessary certifications from performing wiring.

it would be a terrible shame if you accidentally pulled a bit too hard on the cable leading away from the socket you want the modem on and it popped out of the connector. because you couldn't legally put it back by yourself. :leet:

15. callan

callan Member

Now now Caspian!.
    8 weeks is pretty piss poor when waiting for a quote TBH. I do understand your cynicism over TC upgrades: the account manager lass I initially dealt with at the NBN with was similarly dubious when I asked for a Technology Choice upgrade, kept ringing back and saying "you realise this will not be a trivial cost" - and I genuinely think she nearly fell off her chair when she gave me the 5 figure quote and I quietly replied "that sounds good, please proceed - tell me what I need to do to move this forward". I remain well pleased with the upgrade, and would do so again, given the same circumstance.

In my case it was well worth it, and for others like c4dderly it may well be the same. Being dismissive frankly helps no-one. I do agree though that cabling is not for the unqualified. Took a long time for me to come to that conclusion (and I've wired whole office buildings for data, before certification was required) but back then I did 10 things I wasn't qualified for before breakfast :D
    It's easy to get a little pompous, though :)

CQGLHyperion likes this.
  16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Shit here was me thinking this is of no concern to a customers customer and NBN is efficient as... interesting to suggest that NBN Co. can't handle a restructure project while continuing to provide a timely site quote. Surely this is a matter of reasonable efficiency?

I'm sure many businesses would love to be in such a monopolistic position.

JSmith

17. caspian

caspian Member

not when the government just announced a 2 million premises FTTN to FTTP technology flip and all work on quotes went on hold for about a month while the repercussions were figured out.

maybe people shouldn't behave like fools in the first place then?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  18. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

So I remembered I have a Old TPlink Archer D7 a little dated I used it in like 2016 for ADSL. But has specs in the right places like AC wifi and gigabit ethernet. Apparently with a firmware update it will work great with FFTC.

I think I will try it out and if it's no good then I will upgrade then. But its been sitting in its box for a few years now getting no use. Best to at least try it as money is a bit tight atm.

Going to wait for the aussie BB black friday sale and jump onto a plan then.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  19. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Cat5 is used for phone lines as well as any cat3 phone cable. Blue white is the standard pair used for single phone lines. Pins 4 and 5 are used.

Typical electrician install you have there. Daisy chain the cables. And those sockets are actually phone sockets and not proper cat5 sockets. You can see how the numbers are doubled up. 4 and 5 are used by both cables so the daisy chain works without double terminating.

You would have to replace the sockets with cat5 jacks and re-terminate the cable properly. You could install a double jack and then terminate both cables, but the first cable in the chain will only ever be the phone / fttn NBN connection.

20. arytel

arytel Member

I got this working with HFC the other week, had a D7 AC1750. The main thing to check is the adjustments of the settings, no real information around except a post of Whirlpool.