The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

Cheers Mack!

macktheknife likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

macktheknife likes this.
  3. davros123

davros123 Member

4. digamma

digamma Member

I think I'm about to dump Optus. I'm moving to a new part of the estate (just built a new house) and want to relocate the connection. The street we are moving to is only an extension of an existing street, of at least 5 years. I can stand on the footpath and see the new house, it is that close. And I know nbn fibre is there as I watched them running it! Optus is telling me the area is unserviceable according to their system, despite the guys in the optus shop saying its a load of hooey and they just need to force the change through. Online support says nope, no way, can't be done. Aussie will sign me up quite happily, even after realising it is a new connection. The new place is about 10 houses into the new, extended part of the existing street, and if I use one of those addresses, the relocation would proceed as expected. The online help guy has obviously had enough of me and has palmed me off to the retention team. I hate changing isp. It's such a pain in the ass.

5. Blinky

Blinky Member

Why are you guys with the likes of Optus, media packages?

I tried Optus for my mobile a little while back and the speed was horrible and I live in the city these days! Sure they gave me a plan with heaps of data, but the speed was so bad I just couldn’t use it.

6. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

7. digamma

digamma Member

Why am I with Optus? Gather 'round and I shall share with you the following tale: It was a cold and rainy day in 20-something and I was frustrated with TPG (and thankful for) their attempts to fix my 60 year old phone line after it rained and the footpath pit filled up every time. We didn't have the nbn running past yet and so, were limited to another adsl provider (which would have been frustrating, like nailing diarrhea to a wall) or jumping to Optus cable. They, coincidentally, had an offer I couldn't refuse, running at the time. It was a ploy to suck consumers in and lock them to a contract, knowing that the nbn was coming soon-ish. Well, I was happy to play their game, getting a good cable bundle deal that included fetch tv and all the channels plus a speed boost, as a bonus.

And life was happy then. Faster internet, reliable and entertaining for the kids and me! And so it came to pass that we had to move out of the city to a regional city and a newish rental property. The best part was now I was no longer on a shared medium and had my very own little shard of glass to bombard with light. But alas, the owner fell upon hard times and we were forced to move again. A nearby rental saved us from the doom of fttn and we settled in, not 5 doors down the same street and remained firm participants of the www on our own little slice of glassy heaven.

The tale does not finish there! The owner of this domicile has also fallen on hard, covidian times and is selling. Once again, we were forced to flee our little castle, but this time, it was to be a joyful move into our very own palace. The joyful move will take place this very weekend, no less, but it does come with a mix of tidings. Once again, I had to brace myself for the battle of relocating a service only to have my victory snatched away by the jaws of a lazy isp whose wanton ways and slippery tongue have spread malicious half-truths about the state of their services. A flippant "Sorry, we don't service that area" was parsed as I was thrust from the warm, comforting bosom of safe service, out into the coldness of Customer Retention.

With their in ability to comprehend that they would service me, on the same bundle of fibre, if I were but a mere 5 doors down, they apologised in their bored and officious tones and gave me the company line "There's nothing I can do." And thus, we arrive at my present conundrum: with whom shall I select to carry my mediocre amounts of gaming data and netflix-and-chill-ing?

3Toed, fredhoon, gav1ski and 4 others like this.
  8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Quality post.

If AussieBroadband service your area then give them a crack. They're great.

Apparently $100 discount for referer and referee per chilled's post above, so if you want a referral code then let me know and we can both benefit. (No contracts so you can just cop the discount and leave after a month if no good, dunno if that would affect any referal by me but tbh i couldn't really care less. I've referred them quite a few times now and never bothered with codes to get the discount lol)

Honestly, i've been really happy with them for home service. Used them via both HFC and FTTC. Great both times.

9. caspian

caspian Member

it's dead, Jim.

Gibbon likes this.
  10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Wow, fascinating. Entirely dead? as in they arent even going to bother on the third of premises that have a g.fast capable (nokia?) dpu?

Gibbon likes this.
  11. Blinky

Blinky Member

It's $100 for you and $50 for the new customer.

12. Blinky

Blinky Member

As mentioned above, if you can get AussieBB, definitely try them out. They have no commitment month to month NBN plans and unlike Superloop, will charge you pro-rata should you need to leave halfway through a month. It doesn't get any better than that.

How about this, if you sign up with AussieBB using that referral link thing (I'll have to find my link), I'll reverse it! - you can have the $100 and I'll take the $50 :thumbup::)

TheWedgie likes this.
  13. digamma

digamma Member

I'm good just having the $50, but thanks anyway. Send me your referral link and I'll pull the trigger tonite. (God bless working night shift).

fredhoon, Blinky and TheWedgie like this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

no. not happening at all.

Gibbon likes this.
  15. leighr

leighr Member

When is overbuilding of the FTTC footprint expected to start?

16. caspian

caspian Member

I have no doubt it will be seized upon by the cesspool crowd as soon as any dates are published. until then I can't say, sorry.

leighr likes this.
  17. darknebula

darknebula Member

So wait... FTTC is getting overbuilt? So the existing fibre can’t be upgraded and re-used?

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

The My-Aussie app says the referral code is 1617398 cheers!

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I read that approx 50% of DPU's not capable of Gigabit, so really they will only be upgrading those FTTC that are not already capable...The others prob just adding FTTP?

caspian - You're only in the FTTN/C/P side of things correct? So no knowledge about what they'll be doing with HFC places?

20. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Only capable of gigabit (as FTTC) if G.Fast is enabled, which it seems won't be the case now.
    Sounds to me like it's a fibre lead in, but I don't know how far back the fibre would have to go. Same as if a FTTC connection was upgraded to FTTP via the technology choice program I guess, which for me was going to be around $3k, so probably not far :)