1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

that's not what I said.

how users on existing 100/x Mbps plans request a fibre service is one of the considerations being worked through, because there has to be a trigger - they're not going to proactively swap people over. there will also be factors like minimum service connection time to be taken into account, so it has to be an end-user initiated request.

exactly how it works will be published in due course, to support being able to actually make a request.

Caffeine likes this.
  2. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I have been with ABB since 2018. Last month they sent an email offered me a free upgrade to ultra fast speed for 6 months :lol::lol: I couldn't believe my Asus RT AC_68U can handle this speed. IMG_20210910_002123.jpg

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I’m on NBN HFC 100/20 and regularly get those speeds. I can use Teams no issues, google meet no issues, stream 4K no issues… but whenever I use Zoom, it says “low bandwidth” or “your internet connection is unstable”

this happens on both the program, or browser and happens on phones/iPads/laptops

anyone got any ideas why this would be the case?

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Your carrier throttling connections to zoom perhaps? Tried doing it through a VPN?

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

so after a bit of research (which I probably should have done first) turns out there’s a setting on my Google Wifi causing the issue.

Maybe caused by a recent update, but you can actually prioritise Zoom meetings. This seems to be the culprit as people mention turning this OFF, fixes it (I never turned this on)

will have a play and see if this fixes the issue

alexc likes this.
  6. callan

callan Member

A lot of that depends on both DNS and routing of your specific ISP. I can note that my gigabit FTTP connection through Aussie Broadband, with DNS provided through DoH via 1.1.1.1, and we have no Zoom performance issues whatsoever.

A quick diagnostic is to try connecting through a VPN. Might well fix your problem.

caspian likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

^^ this. Telstra are well known to restrict bandwidth on routes to certain data sources that cost them a lot of bandwidth - it's readily observable with Youtube when it happens. same as ISPs play funny buggers with proritised routing to the major speed test platforms, but as soon as you try and actually transfer any amount of data their transparent proxy can't cache, you see it.

start up a VPN so they can't tell what sort of traffic it is and they just have to route it fairly, and the problem vanishes. and I use Google and Cloudflare DNS.

alexc likes this.
  8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I’m using cloudflare dns already but I’ll try VPN too and see if that fixes the problem

9. alexc

alexc Member

Interesting!

I've observed this, but never conclusively tested or proved it! :)

I've often put down bandwidth issues to the capabilities of the endpoint server or CDN I'm retrieving data from!

Which could well be a bit of both of course :)

10. caspian

caspian Member

for the sake of testing I always select a local VPN endpoint. of course that's no guarantee that the ISP's route to the WWW actually ends up on the same CDN - not sure how to test this, and not sure if I really care TBH. might try some traces and see if they show anything of use.

[edit]

unfortunately my VPN's closest endpoint is now Sydanee, which adds an additional uncontrollable variable to my test. I can see that youtube.com resolves to a different IP with the VPN running, but the traceroute dies short of the remote host. ultimately I'm not sure if that proves anything above and beyond what I already know/suspect.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  11. al'Thor

al'Thor Member

I thought vpns were throttled because RSP don't want you to bypass the way they manage (or prioritize)different types of data.

12. caspian

caspian Member

dog forbid your ISP should actually just pass packets through without trying to play games.

13. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

14. alexc

alexc Member

Is that still restricted to certain areas?

There is a published list of scheduled Fibre area upgrades, and my postcode isnt on the list yet :)

So, can anyone order 250/50 and trigger this now?

15. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Nope, only in the areas mentioned, and not yet. Apparently NBN will notify the RSP when the facility is available, and then the RSP should notify their customers that it is an option.

alexc likes this.
  16. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

17. caspian

caspian Member

not sure why anyone would expect otherwise, it was always said there would be a minimum commitment period.

so pick an ISP where the terms of contract are guaranteed for yourself as much for them. or churn. the wording says disconnection, I don't see why NBN would care what RSP owns the service as long as the minimum speed tier is maintained.

18. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Looks like the entire FTTC footprint is eligible (as expected), so ... nice! 250/100 here I come (well, once I can order it) :D

19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

So had a zoom call yesterday. I tried it with that Google Wifi setting disabled (the Video Conferencing) and it was a lot better. Kids have a zoom class tomorrow, so I'll try it with the Google Video Conferencing enabled AND a VPN and see if that's any different..

alexc likes this.
  20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Kids currently on Zoom with Google Wifi setting ON, and VPN… no issues

alexc likes this.