1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. alexc

alexc Member

Is that still restricted to certain areas?

There is a published list of scheduled Fibre area upgrades, and my postcode isnt on the list yet :)

So, can anyone order 250/50 and trigger this now?

2. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Nope, only in the areas mentioned, and not yet. Apparently NBN will notify the RSP when the facility is available, and then the RSP should notify their customers that it is an option.

alexc likes this.
  3. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

4. caspian

caspian Member

not sure why anyone would expect otherwise, it was always said there would be a minimum commitment period.

so pick an ISP where the terms of contract are guaranteed for yourself as much for them. or churn. the wording says disconnection, I don't see why NBN would care what RSP owns the service as long as the minimum speed tier is maintained.

5. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Looks like the entire FTTC footprint is eligible (as expected), so ... nice! 250/100 here I come (well, once I can order it) :D

6. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

So had a zoom call yesterday. I tried it with that Google Wifi setting disabled (the Video Conferencing) and it was a lot better. Kids have a zoom class tomorrow, so I'll try it with the Google Video Conferencing enabled AND a VPN and see if that's any different..

alexc likes this.
  7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Kids currently on Zoom with Google Wifi setting ON, and VPNā€¦ no issues

alexc likes this.
  8. millsy

millsy Member

Does anybody know if you can order NBN enterprise ethernet and convert it to residential after the contract is up? Presumably it's "technically" the same equipment, but unsure if that'd practically work.

9. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

A friend of mine is going through getting EE setup at his place ($450 a month or so) and they have *assured* him that the infrastructure is separate from and not compatible with FTTP.

10. millsy

millsy Member

I'd believe it - I've heard that the COS might impact as well.

11. caspian

caspian Member

they are correct. the fibre path may run through the same cable as other fibres carrying GPON signal, but apart from they are are entirely separate until they reach the ethernet aggregation network core.