1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Does anybody know if you can order NBN enterprise ethernet and convert it to residential after the contract is up? Presumably it's "technically" the same equipment, but unsure if that'd practically work.

2. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

A friend of mine is going through getting EE setup at his place ($450 a month or so) and they have *assured* him that the infrastructure is separate from and not compatible with FTTP.

3. millsy

millsy Member

I'd believe it - I've heard that the COS might impact as well.

4. caspian

caspian Member

they are correct. the fibre path may run through the same cable as other fibres carrying GPON signal, but apart from that they are are entirely separate until they reach the ethernet aggregation network core.

bottom line: if you get EE installed they have to build a new fibre path to your premises, irrespective of a current FTTP connection. and no, an EE connection cannot be turned into a FTTP connection later.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    millsy and alexc like this.
  5. mareke

mareke Member

I'm having a new driveway slab installed to replace the concrete strips leading to my carport. The concreter had to remove the slab over the council owned footpath as part of installing a new driveway all the way from the road to my carport. Under the slab he found the top of a white PVC pipe. We thought it might carry cables from the NBN pit a couple of metres away so the tradesman lifted the cover to the pit to check this. It turned out that the PVC pipe was a dummy pipe there in case anyone wanted to feed cables under the slab in the future.

Being curious I took some photos of what was inside the pit. There were two black cables coming out of a hole on one side that went to the black canister in the photo and then back out to a hole on the opposite side of the pit to service houses further down the street. The two thinner cables going into the holes marked in blue are obviously telephone lines for my place and the place next door. The green cable is presumably a fibre optic cable to enable a future upgrade.

My neighbourhood has fibre to the node and I'm lucky to be extremely close to the node and pillar so my internet is as good as it gets for fibre to the node. I'm curious as to what the black canister is. Am I correct in guessing that it's a DPU to allow for a future upgrade to fibre to the curb?

upload_2021-9-29_16-3-56.jpeg

upload_2021-9-29_15-49-17.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  6. caspian

caspian Member

7. mareke

mareke Member

Thanks for that. Seems a bit odd-an aerial joint lying in a pit. Might be a relic from when the suburb had poles. The fibre optical cable was installed about a week ago. After being so wrong about the canister I won't speculate about whether there's an upgrade from fibre to the node to something better planned for my suburb (Woodbine NSW) in the near future.

8. caspian

caspian Member

the only difference between an aerial joint and non-aerial is the bracket on the side of the base. more likely that's what stock was in the back of the truck at the time it was required.

with no discernible tag on the fibre it could be many things. it looks similar in size to 144F or maybe 288F which could be a new distribution spur. without knowing the location of the pit to identify the cable, no way of telling.

9. caspian

caspian Member

anyone with an FTTN or FTTB connection would do well to ensure their modems are SOS/ROC enabled. it will take another couple of months for the whole network to be enabled, but it will be completed before end of year.

the capability improves connection stability through additional resilience to burst noise considerably, extensive testing shows it is well worth having. and at some point in the future, it will become a mandatory requirement to report connection stability issues.

unfortunately I've yet to see a modem where this can be conveniently enabled in the GUI, it's usually burned into a firmware version, so check with your modem vendor.

alexc, jpw007 and callan like this.
  10. alexc

alexc Member

Is there any more info around on this yet?

i tried the Google, but nothing useful came up. A few Whirlpool links about modems from earlier this year etc...

I'm wondering if it would could make my abandoned FTTN useable?

Would it improve long line length connections? ~1400m

I'd consider rehooking it up if there was a chance of it being stable again!

11. caspian

caspian Member

full information on it has been communicated to every RSP out there. it is a stability enhancement capability but like all technology, it's engineering and not magic. whether it is effective on a given line depends on the nature of what defect affects that line. you would have to try and see. trying means getting your line enabled, and having a compatible modem.

alexc likes this.
  12. tobes

tobes Member

Anyone know anything about more.com.au its a new provider that CommBank is flogging at me with some decent discounts.

13. callan

callan Member

A quick dig around found THIS.

As a general rule I shy away from resold services from unrelated companies like this - they can be patchy. I've had good experience with AldiMobile, but that's about it. I also PARTICULARLY stay away from anything Commbank.
    Declaration: I have a significant Commbank shareholding.

14. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Hi guys,

Just a bit of Thursday night musing ..... I'm currently on FTTC, and will most likely change up to FTTP once the free upgrade scheme kicks in (probably to a 250/100 business plan).

I'm just curious - the FTTP connection box, to my understanding, has 4 x UNI-D ethernet outputs. Does it only support up to 1Gbps per service/port?
    If so, what happens if/when there's demand for something faster than 1Gbps? (given 1Gbps is already available, I presume some people will want it at some stage)

Bit of background on why I was wondering - I have a friend in Switzerland on a 10Gbps/10Gbps home internet connection (for, I believe, €50/month ...) but I believe it's fibre right to the router??
    (and yes, I know Australia != Switzerland).

https://fiber.salt.ch/en/home/internet

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  15. callan

callan Member

1Gbit in total. If you have a 1Gbit service, you cannot have a service hooked in on another port.
    I believe this is an NBN-enforced limit.

Gibbon likes this.
  16. caspian

caspian Member

yes it is enforced by NBN provisioning systems, but as a result of the hardware limitations of the NTD, and in turn the bandwidth limits of GPON technology. you can have up to 4 services with an aggregate bandwidth of ≤ 1Gbps. if additional aggregate bandwidth is required, a second NTD would need to be installed.

not familiar with that carrier but they would have to be running a later PON technology such as NGPON, NGPON2, XGPON or XGSPON to achieve those speeds. even then you run the risk of PON congestion selling services that fast.

Gibbon likes this.
  17. sanjay

sanjay Member

I suspect I am about to be in for a world of pain, but be good to get some perspective from the OCAU hive mind on what to do here.

I'm on FTTN, with Belong, and all of the copper wiring from the node to my house is underground (early 2000s development, no overhead wires). Node is probably 50 metres from my house.

Last night the VDSL connection dropped and its remained down as of this morning (when the power went out, lel).

I've never had it dropped for this long before, in fact since being connected to NBN in Jan 2020, it has been rock solid and has only ever dropped out a handful of times (and even then, only for a short period).

Have raised a support ticket with Belong but my googling seems to suggest they are useless and will insist that it is an internal wiring issue and won't send an NBN tech out (presumably because it costs them money).

(As an aside, I use a Technicolour Telstra Smart Modem that, when I bought it, had a SIM in it. The mobile 4G backup has been working since the main VDSL connection went out. That isn't meant to work on Belong, is it??)

Any suggestions on how I play this?

18. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

Wait for your ISP to respond, do what they say... etc. If it is an issue that is beyond your property, then NBN are likely already aware of the issue.

19. sanjay

sanjay Member

yep done all of that, just pre-empting what Belong are likely to do (but i guess it is likely that if it's a problem at the node, all my neighbours are having issues too).

20. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

XGSPON. No minimum speed .... shared between up to 64 other users.

On NBN, you're guaranteed to get your 1gbps (ISP withstanding).