The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

Ask you to troubleshoot, and then log a ticket with NBN.

It cost them money to log the ticket with NBN, only if it turns out to be your issue (and not NBNs) ... which is why even if you say "oh but all the neighbours are down" they'll probbaly ask you some troubleshooting .... unless they can see a reported outage already from NBN.

As said, if it is up from you... then NBN are likely already aware.

sanjay likes this.
  2. leighr

leighr Member

You can check to see if NBN has any outages listed for your location here: https://www.nbnco.com.au/support/network-status

3. sanjay

sanjay Member

4. caspian

caspian Member

I had a similar discussion this morning with another Belong user. same observation as I always make - cheap ISPs are great while they're working. the premium you pay for a good ISP is for the assistance you get when it's not.

there is no charge for an NBN tech to attend as long as the fault impacting the service is found to be within the NBN network. that means Belong need to test and troubleshoot the service using the tools provided to determine this is the case.

sanjay - if you want to PM me your service details I will take a quick look, but I'm taking a POETS day in about 30 mins so be quick.

tobes and sanjay like this.
  5. sanjay

sanjay Member

PMed you caspian!

i tend to agree re pay peanuts get monkeys, but at $55 for their basic 50/20 service (soft capped at 38/20) it was too good to ignore. this is the first problem ive ever had with them - if they don't sort it out, i'll be churning.

6. caspian

caspian Member

what do you mean by soft capped? Belong restrict your download speed?

7. caspian

caspian Member

your line has a badly deteriorated joint in it. may have been exacerbated by the interesting weather overnight or could just be coincidence, but at the moment it's effectively one wire open circuit, so it's only working via inductive coupling to the adjacent lines in the cable sheath. needs a physical fix. I've put it on a high target noise margin profile for the moment so it's online but it's slow and I can't guarantee it will be stable. if Belong can raise a ticket the fault will be very evident and a field service tech will come out and fix it.

jpw007, callan and sanjay like this.
  8. sanjay

sanjay Member

thanks so much for looking into it caspian - gives me some ammo in case Belong decide to be difficult.

yeah the old $55 plan was a 50/20 service with a soft cap at 38 down (but still 20 up). sometimes Belong would "forget" to put the cap on and i got the full 50 :D

the $55 plan isnt available anymore so if i churned to someone else i'd just bite the bullet and pay for a 100/20 service. the missus works from home full time via a pretty cludgey VPN so we'll probably benefit from the extra speed.

9. caspian

caspian Member

OK. wait until the line is fixed and see what the attainable rate is, or ping me. 50/20 should be no problem, you might make it to something like the ABB 70/20 though.

sanjay likes this.
  10. sanjay

sanjay Member

Cheers. I remember the line used to sync at 96/38 or so before sharting itself like it has done, so it should be worth going to 100/20?

Been on the phone to belong for a while now, jumping through various hoops re hooking up the old modem, standing on my head etc.

Edit - and just been told they've reset the port and to contact them again tomorrow if it's still not fixed (which it won't be). :tired:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  11. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Friday afternoon tick 'n' flick :tongue:

alexc likes this.
  12. sanjay

sanjay Member

Only barely after lunch in whatever subcontinental call centre I was connected to :lol:

Gibbon likes this.
  13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Ha, yeah, good point :D

14. caspian

caspian Member

guarantee you that. I reset it once and reconfigured it manually three times myself trying to find something that might at least kinda-sorta work while they fix the line.

15. sanjay

sanjay Member

its the extra info ive gotten from you caspian that is making me so infuriated with them! i am gritting my teeth and being patient and friendly with them though (spoken to three different people from Belong by now).

do i need to insist that they raise a support ticket with NBN Co? i still worry they are going to try and tell me "its connected on our end, its a problem with your internal wiring" that, according to whirlpool at least, they are fond of doing. :(

did see on the news today stories of lots of houses still without power and many without roofs (let alone those who have had trees fall on cars etc) - so i definitely appreciate having busted NBN is not the end of the world. plus, the sim card in my Smart Modem seems to be giving me a solid 20 down/5 up (so, thanks to whoever sold this modem to me on gumtree and whos probably still paying for their service, assuming thats how the telstra 4G backup sims work).

16. caspian

caspian Member

to be fair, I have no expectation that your provider's support team diagnose the exact cause of the issue like I did. that's not reasonable and frankly not required.

all they need to do is identify that the service is not working to standard - too slow, unacceptably stable, dead in the water etc - and raise a ticket with NBN. diagnosing why that's the case and taking the appropriate corrective action is NBN's problem and responsbility, and fair enough too. the customer isn't expected to diagnose the cause of a service fault - just reasonably substantiate that one exists to justify the escalation.

to business-nerd out, the service break-fix process is a reactive one, and relies on the RSP raising the issue with NBN so the mechanism is initiated. your service is currently running like congealing lukewarm crap because I put it on a very conservative line profile to get it to sync up enough to get the diagnostics I did, that poor performance alone should trigger their response for you. "ooh let's reset the port" in response to that is rubbish. if they're going to try a port reset (fair enough) then all it takes is 2 minutes for the line to resync and a restest to confirm the same condition exists. it shouldn't be up to you as the end user to have to chase them again - they should have invested the lousy 2 minutes in determining that while talking to you, and raising the issue with NBN.

I'd suggest just making sure you're directly connected to the first socket in the premises with a short, known good line cord, and everything else unplugged from every other socket in the premises if they exist. if the service doesn't work under those circumstances, insist on an escalation. yes, there are circumstances where internal wiring past that configuration can impact the performance of a service, but it's very unlikely indeed that it magically developed a fault on you. the reality is that most DSL faults are outside the house, for the simple reason that most of the copper line is.

cling to that modem. Telstra/Belong seem to be very slow to deactivate old devices no longer in use with an active account. I have a colleague who still uses the 4G backup on his something like a year after he cancelled the associated account. they still send out complaining SMS messages but blocking the number fixes that.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    TheWedgie and sanjay like this.
  17. sanjay

sanjay Member

so just as an update to all of this, a very helpful NBN guy came along today, and we worked out that actually, the "first" port in my house wasn't any of the three ports that i had previously been using for the last 3 years of living here, but was actually some almost inaccessible port behind our hot water system under the stairs. worked out that that port was getting a noisy signal and there was a break in the line from there to the other ports (he reckons that some residual current might have come through the line after the lightning on thursday night and sizzled the barely-there connection to the first port and broke the line further up the wire somewhere). he rewired and put a new socket end on that port and we put the modem there, working fine now (and seems to get just as good wifi reception down there as it did when it was on the middle floor, so alls well that ends well i guess).

thanks muchly again caspian for your investigative work beforehand :D

romp likes this.
  18. caspian

caspian Member

nw. I'll put your line back onto normal profile tomorrow so it gets full performance.

romp likes this.
  19. rireland

rireland Member

any further development with the fttp upgrades?

Gibbon and alexc like this.
  20. alexc

alexc Member

Not NBN, but Telstra home 5G is now available for more people!

Seems to have come out of the beta phase!

Data Caps are 1TB, with shaping down to ~25Mbps down.

Given my FTTN couldn't get 25Mps down, this could be OK.

A new Telstra 5G tower went up near me, and a friend got 800Mbps down on his iPhone 13!

I'm super close to the tower, so fingers crossed!

I'm doing about 3TB in data a month, so will add this to my load balanced 4G setup with the Optus LTE and the 2.2Tb of data I get from them!