1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

if Superloop have an open ticket with NBN then that's all any RSP can really do. also service level faults work on business day SLAs, unless you have an enhanced SLA.

if you want, ping me the address and I will look at the ticket.

DiGiTaL MoNkEY, alexc and micsway123 like this.
  2. caspian

caspian Member

your ISP only actually raised the ticket with NBN at 2:21pm this afternoon. unfortunately it looks like a physical fix required. there's a tech scheduled to attend tomorrow between 8-12am.

if you reported to your ISP on Friday, the question to ask is why it took them three days to actually make NBN aware there was an issue.

micsway123 likes this.
  3. micsway123

micsway123 Member

Painful but grateful, hopefully it can be fixed with one visit. Cheers!

4. caspian

caspian Member

the tech onsited at 8:02am, I just saw the link come up briefly so he must be looking at the path from the street into the house. was running quite poorly, suggests a basic copper fault.

5. caspian

caspian Member

and the tech has offsited as of 8:37am, link up at full speed. copper issue in pit resolved.

callan, micsway123 and Martyn like this.
  6. micsway123

micsway123 Member

and like magic it's fixed, thanks! interesting that the main fault was the device in the pit which was replaced yesterday for my neighbour's fault (number 6) however did not consider checking the other houses connected to that device, bit of a waste they didn't do them all at once?

7. caspian

caspian Member

yes the fault was introduced during the previous work, but service techs have no way of testing services other than the one they are assigned to work on (quite deliberately).

micsway123 likes this.
  8. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

switching from aussiebroadband back to iinet was literally the best decision ive made in the last 2 years. no more random cut outs, no more excuses of "outages" when there literally is not any, etc etc. huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

9. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

The 6 months I was with ABB they gave me the shits with constant 'outages' as well. Been with TPG and haven't had one since.

RamboKazoo likes this.
  10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

wait, aussie has now gone to the dogs?

supasaiyan likes this.
  11. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Has been fine for me for many years - the only outage was last week when a large proportion of the town was under water and everyone was out - including mobiles.

12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I wouldn't say "gone to the dogs", and almost all the time my connection was great. But I had more outages in 6 months on ABB than I had in several years with Belong (who I only left because they stubbornly refused to offer speeds over 100/40). Their referral bonuses were useful as I managed to get a couple of people connected to them and save us both some cash but the discount ran out and $115 with TPG is far more attractive than $150 with ABB.

13. callan

callan Member

Not here (FTTP, Nunawading). The only outages we've had here in the past few months have been the weekly 2:00AM Saturday AM 2 minute outage (My router, it reboots weekly at that time), and a coupla minutes 2 weeks ago on Monday night. Other than that, it's doing a damn sight better than our power.

14. alexc

alexc Member

Initially, NBN Co said that 10,000 FTTN premises would be involved in the trial, but this was later revised down to 500 FTTN premises, and an additional 25 FTTC premises.

NBN Co has upgraded just 20 premises from copper connections to full fibre as part of a trial, filling less than five percent of the available places.

What I find most egregious about this is that they enjoy all the headlines and accolades when they announce 10K premises are getting FTTP, and then they actually only update 20.

Argh... what is there to say that hasn't already been said!

15. caspian

caspian Member

it's a trial, and one that is still underway. and if that's all that needs to be done to gain any learnings, then why do more than is required? trials are about learning what you need to know, not providing services.

it was also tabled in Senate Estimates last night that ~50K premises will go live for orders in March. would you rather that date be pushed back just to run trials for no other purpose than to inflate the trial numbers? personally I'd rather the trials be as minimal as are required to achieve success and any additional resources go into bringing the production launch as far forward as can be done.

you might also note the comment from the article that only seven out of 200 RSPs agreed to participate in the trials, which in my experience is typical - nobody ever wants to spend any time on any work, they just expect it to appear on a silver platter. that's not how it works, and the need for RSPs to participate in the end-to-end upgrade order progress is essential - they need to initiate the process! not much NBN can do if they won't participate, other than work with what's available, is there?

if you pick random bits out of an article that in turn focused on bits of a >1hr presentation, you don't get a balanced view of what actually happened.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    ashcollector likes this.
  16. yoink

yoink Member

So quick question: We're currently on Telstra Cable, which has been completely fine for the past almost 10 years.
    We are now due to get the NBN, we have FTTC coming into our unit block, however the phone wires that go from the basement to our unit have been deemed unsuitable ("internal shortfall"?), and we have been quoted a silly amount to run a new wire internally in the building, which seems really lame, especially since the cable line is RIGHT next to it.

Do we have any options, other than copping the (absolutely silly) amount for running a new wire?

Here's a picture of what's happening in the cupboard in the basement:

the-situation-and-a-spider.jpg

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Have to agree with caspian here. I would assume NBNCo originally had in principle participation by most RSP's initially until many RSP's realised the work involved and as such a significant number opted out of the trial. Possibly also effected by lack of interest by consumers registering their interest. It is a significant drop in trial numbers from the original and even revised figures but I would think the 50 odd they have will probably be enough to satisfy trial objectives. Not all is lost here.

18. caspian

caspian Member

the short answer is no - if the twisted pair cabling is below the required standard, then it needs to be replaced. the premises cabling is past the MDF which means it's privately owned, so the work is chargeable.

the only other option I can think of is to have the premises rewired back to the MDF privately, but you'd have to get your own quotes for that to be done.

how much was the estimate, how many individual premises involved, and what sort of line lengths involved? any additional considerations that would drive up cost like limited access to the spaces the cabling runs through?

19. yoink

yoink Member

Fair enough.

Yeah we got a private quote

All units in the building will need to be involved through the strata - the quote was for enough that I'm considering getting StarLink instead :)

I also got a quote for FTTP upgrade, it was $7.9k, which is more than the phone wire fix...

20. caspian

caspian Member

I agree it's kind of disappointing to see such a low participation rate. I see the behaviour all the time, though - across all groups and levels.

me: we'd like to participate in a trial. it will lead to a production capability, this is your chance to have staff attend, become expert in the space so they can train your other staff, have input into requirements, tools and procedures etc.
    other person: hell no, that would cost time and money, and we're focused five minutes into the future. we expect it all just to be done for us and delivered on a platter.
    me: OK, I feel that's a poor decision but it's your funeral. I will do my level best to deliver what I think you need, but don't blame me if anything is missing. I don't know your business.

/5 minutes after capability launch...

other person: REEEE! our staff aren't trained! we don't know how this works! we need process updates, training, and tools developed!
    me: sorry, this is one is a "talk to the hand" moment. you now need to manage all of that in your own time, and raise your own funding for anything that needs it. the project is done.

what's important to remember too is that the physical install process doesn't need to be tested. NBN has already done multiple hundreds of thousands of copper-brownfields-to-fibre installs in years past, and nothing has changed in that regard. all that's new in N to P flip is the on-demand install ordering process, which is why Stephen Rue mentioned BRT in the Senate estimates meeting. what was tested was systems and processes, and you only need that to be seen to work as far as is necessary to verify it does work - it's not like there are a lot of different scenarios that have been added, it's an incremental change on top of a SC1 new fibre service order now. only the increment needs to be tested.