1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Be cool if NBN offered such a mechanism down the track, make it a bit more practical for folks to do so (and you could write it off easier to tax :) )

2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

TPG tech came to check our lines finally, said everything from ours to the street is fine but something is seriously wrong from the street to the node, node is literally next door. He was seeing major errors with all the tests he ran, obviously he cant touch the NBN stuff, he's made his report and is getting sent to NBN.

Guess they either half assed the install in 2016 - 2017 when they did it or something's gone bad since then. Gonna keep en eye out for the NBN tech if and when they come to fix it, might ask about the FTTP upgrade as well although I'm doubtful we'll get it tbh.

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

The Scotch locks probably need replacing. :leet:

4. yoink

yoink Member

Ok, so we're now on the NBN - the phone cable fix cost as much as I'd feared, and we now struggle to hit 75mbps (on a Telstra 100/20 plan) - I've been closely monitoring speed tests, and so far we're looking at an average of 62mbps... Sigh.
    We're currently waiting for a 24 hour test to complete, so we can hopefully get closer to the speeds we were used to previously.

5. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I was thinking the duct tape and bubble gum came loose :lol:.

yoink likes this.
  6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I have a photo somewhere of a repair done to a cut phone line.
    The lines were direct buried in the ground (they're from the old PMG) days.
    They were cut by a backhoe.
    The fix was Scotch locks and a shopping bag.

7. yoink

yoink Member

Ok, wtf is a "NBN building network speed" ...?

Sounds like I may be limited to lower speeds, (almost half or what Cable provided), even though we just spent a fortune fixing the phone cable....
    This is super disappointing :upset:

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Standards meet window lol. That's pretty bad, suppose the scotch locks are meant to be some what water resistant but still, do the job properly :rolleyes:.

If your to far from the node or have a ton of people on the node your speed will be shit, the joys of copper and a half assed system.

9. yoink

yoink Member

Is there a node-map or something, so I can check how far away from the node I am? We have FTTC, if that matters...

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

you're 'node' will be at the end of your driveway or your neighbours. cable lengths for FTTC are kept very short.

11. yoink

yoink Member

Ok - yeah there's a comms pit just outside our building, that must be it.

12. schnappy

schnappy Member

I recently moved from a FTTP residence to HFC. I'll cut out most of the saga, my current situation is all solid green lights on the NTD but my WAN interface cannot get an a IP address with DHCP. I have open tickets/incidents with NBN Co and my RSP (Superloop) but now both seem to just ignore me after a week. I did all their 'isolation tests', tcpdump shows I am sending DHCP requests but getting nothing back. My service worked with the first NTD I had for a few hours but NBN had a configuration conflict that took days and a call out + escalation to resolve, but as part of their troubleshooting they replaced the NTD 3 or 4 times (The called out guy was furious the people on the end of the phone kept telling him to do this when he knew it was a config issue). Since that issue appears resolved I have my green lights but no DHCP. I suspect I now have a dud NTD

Is there anything else I can try? I've asked SLC if they will assign static IP address just to prove it's not them stuffing something up, but I've been here 2 weeks now without internet and I am running out of mobile data to get work done.

13. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Had a call from Internode, they apparently told NBN Co about the problem between the Node and the units and NBN Co said they sent out a tech to check the line and found no issues buuuuut Internode has still been seeing drop outs. Internode called NBN Co again while on the phone to us and explained they they were still seeing drop outs and that it's far worse when it's raining (which it has been all day). So I guess we'll wait and see if this gets fixed this week or not.

Internode and the TPG tech have been pretty good with all of this but NBN Co is clearly utterly useless, starting to wonder if the cables really are held together with Scotch locks or duct tape and bubble gum :rolleyes:.

alexc likes this.
  14. schnappy

schnappy Member

On hold for 45mins, spoke to a guy at SLC for a bit... I am on my own apparently.
    opnSense getting a WAN ip address of 0.0.0.0. Capturing packets I see DHCP request go out and nothing comes back.

When I boot Windows 10 on a laptop (tried two), connect directly to HFC NTD it appears to get a WAN IP address but the default gateway and DNS servers resolve to what is normally my router. As far as I know the NTD/SLC/NBN don't have that information, so OS is remembered it and I can't get rid of it.

Can anyone tell me when doing an 'ísolation test' what does the 'default gateway' say in Win 10?

15. caspian

caspian Member

the NTD is a bridge modem with no layer 3 functionality exposed to the user.

unplug the NIC, do an ipconfig /flushdns, disable and reenable your ethernet adapter and retry.

16. schnappy

schnappy Member

Done all that repeatedly, I already tried to tell them the NTD is buggered but they won't listen. Going to have to do some research and see where I can escalate it to.

17. caspian

caspian Member

your only avenue is via your RSP. you'll need to escalate internally with them if they are not raising the issue with NBN.

18. millsy

millsy Member

So just to bump this again, seeing if anybody on ocau has gone down this route :)

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

I think 'callan' has, but the answer is you have to go through the process yourself - each house is a different build out.

I'd look for a different house.

20. Martyn

Martyn Member

I'm within 1km of the nearest node, and on FTTN get the full 100/40. Just redid the quote on upgrading & it still came back with $ 49,953 inc. GST.

alexc likes this.