1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Thoughts on My Republic? Their $99/month 1000/50 seems tempting, but Whirlpool is filled with horror stories, sprinkled with some positive ones. Anyone had any experience with them?

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

One of my sites i look after has pegs in the MDF.
    It was the first time i'd ever seen a building that used them, although i'm sure there are still plenty of them out there.

[​IMG]

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

you get what you pay for. the only way to be cheap is to reduce the service (be that CVC and/or support).

4. caspian

caspian Member

heaps. they are no worse than IDC as long as they are soldered, it's just laziness not too. main reason I'm not a fan is if you accidentally found the drive pair for a small pair gain system it would give you quite a shock. harder to get IDC wrong but then you are relying on the tech having the right terminating tool and not butchering it with a screwdriver or similar.

looktall likes this.
  5. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

We still have a small amount of linkmount on the MDF at my work. Most of it was converted to krone blocks or just removed when the old gear was decommed.

One of the first jobs I had as an apprentice was to help remove a heap of it as the new "digital" exchange has finished being installed, so we had to pull off the old jumpers that ran to the old exchange. Pulling the links was the first part, but if that phone was ringing at the time..... sore elbow.

I was pulled up once when running a jumper the linkmount without soldering it. Never made that mistake again.

6. alexc

alexc Member

I've confirmed with ABB, that NBN are still planning Remediation in my area on 14th of July.

We were told 18 months ago they would!

So I'm super pleased thats we are still on the schedule for something! :)

I was worried that when they 'upgraded' the copper back in Jan that the thicker copper was all we'd get for now.

However ABB cant tell me what NBN are planning, so i was wondering caspian is there a way to know what's planned?

FTTP? FTTC? A micro node closer to me?

Fingers crossed it's FTTP! :)

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

cue Oprah "satellite for you, satellite for you, and satellite for you!" gif

Pugs likes this.
  8. caspian

caspian Member

that is not out of the question. :Paranoid:

alexc - I would have to know the details of your service to start.

alexc likes this.
  9. alexc

alexc Member

DM sent! :)

10. caspian

caspian Member

I love Mondays.

corolla.jpg

sammy_b0i, romp, McRutch and 4 others like this.
  11. krappo

krappo Member

Been with them since day 1, 100/40 plan and all smooth sailing, not even a hiccup along the way :)

the_antipop likes this.
  12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Ah bit of duct tape, maybe some liquid nails, she'll be right m8 :thumbup:.

alexc likes this.
  13. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Many years ago I managed a fault for a large Pair Gain System (RCM for those who may remember) up in the far reaches of northern NT.

It had been backed into and knocked over much like the above.

Nevermind, locals used a backhoe to stand it back up, couple of tack welds to hold it in place and it continued on, I believe for a number of months until it could officially be repaired.

alexc likes this.
  14. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Bush mechanics ain't nothing to fuck with.

3Toed and alexc like this.
  15. caspian

caspian Member

this one had a Corolla applied briskly. amazingly, it was largely still working. the NOC originally sent a tech to check for possible vandalism due to door-open alarms.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    alexc, yoink and TheWedgie like this.
  16. neRok

neRok Member

So stoked right now, because they're upgrading my street to fiber this very second! Worker knocked on my door about trimming a bush back to get to a pit, said my neighbour already got the fiber, and so I should be able to get onto it soon too. Said there was a joint across the road, which I presume is a good thing.

Edit: Just phoned my provider AusBB, but it sounds like the ready date in NBN system is not until mid July, so I have to wait :upset:

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    macktheknife, fredhoon, Pugs and 2 others like this.
  17. caspian

caspian Member

if they are pulling fibre then the go-live date is some distance off. are you in the list of sites already announced?

18. neRok

neRok Member

Nope. I had conceded that I was stuck with my shitty 25mbps FTTN (now on stability profile full time) for at least another year, so this came as a great surprise. Maybe they cherry picked my corner of the world because it is so bad. My line length is over 1300m because my street connects to a pillar that is ~700m south-east of me, and then runs ~700m west to a node. So even the closest house to that pillar still has a long line length. The house behind me (I'm on a corner block) connects to the node and is not even 600m line length.

19. caspian

caspian Member

possibly, or it could just be further fibre build-out of the 2 million premises to be covered. if so there will be no further announcements until after the federal election and caretaker period has ended.

20. caspian

caspian Member

HFC network should be 100% gigabit enabled by 1 July.

fredhoon, millsy and jpw007 like this.