The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

Stirling
    From when the cabinets were installed to when it was available here, it was still at least 4-5 months

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Complaining on whingepool sometimes gets the CVC upgraded. Sometimes.

3. caspian

caspian Member

it might, but on on the basis of public embarrassment. there isn't an ISP out there that doesn't let their CVC congest on the basis of a business decision, with full visibility of the fact.

4. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I originally switched to the biz plans from residential telstra to escape congestion on ADSL2, since then I really can't complain with the stability of the connection and have certainly had no congestion issues.

This is exactly why I'll probably stick with a telstra small business plan when I order FTTN next week (local node supposedly goes RFS tomorrow). If I were to switch to residential, I've read that every company is covered by the first 6 month setting in period, where speeds are all over the place and congestion can be expected to a degree. This said, I highly doubt they'll underprovision too much for a customer with an SLA but of course, I could be entirely wrong.

I've also got a feeling that they'll be likely to screw me around less in getting it connected up but on the plus side, if I end up disconnected for a week or something then I'll get a few months free access after a bitch and moan :rolleyes:

The REAL question here though, is can I arrange a free speed boost when I recontract? I reckon I can :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  5. DNX

DNX Member

Just got the NBN FTTN here in Moonah, Hobart, TAS and managed to get the Foxtel from Telstra Entertainment pack (1000GB) with free 100/40 superboost and free dish installation for $99 p/m.

Currently connecting @ 84.9mb down and 34mb up.

But was more or less told that as more people connect to NBN in area there may be a drop in speeds:(

6. caspian

caspian Member

it's nothing to do with the number of people connected to the NBN. it's directly related to how well your ISP chooses to resource the CVC that carries your connection.

if your NBN service congests during peak periods, it is with the total knowledge and visibility of your ISP, and they are allowing it to do so as a business choice.

7. DNX

DNX Member

Sorry didn't mean during congestion, meant as an overall connection speed.

8. caspian

caspian Member

your layer 1 connection speed will not alter regardless of how many people are connected to the network.

your effective throughput speed, which is what you care about, is congestion dependent.

9. DNX

DNX Member

Then Telstra are explaining it wrong as they are stating that until the current lines for phone/ADSL are changed over (turned off) fully in 18mths then the current speeds may reduce the more people that change over to NBN FTTN.

10. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Yeah, that's a load of horse shit.

11. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Caspian,

With the spattering of technologies that underpin todays NBN along with my scheduled availability for Jan-Jun 2019, taking into consideration that most of Canberra is poles for telco / power.

Do you think I'll eventually be serviced by FTTN or do you think theres a chance it might go back to PON technology?

Cheers,

N.B. not that I mind, sure beats sub 800kbps upload, fucking atm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  12. caspian

caspian Member

at best that's a factoid mixed with a serve of misunderstanding.

the best I can distill out of it that is truth is that until the last of the legacy services are migrated to the NBN network, some services *may* experience lower sync speeds as a result of the DSLAM settings require to deconflict the NBN services with the legacy services.

however, at any stage, if throughput is less than sync speed can support, that's CVC congestion.

13. caspian

caspian Member

@Doc-of-FC -

if you have copper lines now and don't have access to Telstra HFC, then it's very likely you will get FTTN. aerial phone lines aren't a consideration in that one way or the other.

it's very unlikely (although not impossible) that a brownfields area would receive a GPON overbuild in the forseeable future. if FTTN is deemed not feasible then the next solution in the list is FTTC.

14. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

I appreciate the attenuation graph, transparency is great.

Any idea why TC-3, commercial grade NTD and fibre access diversity is slated 19+, surely this is something that already exists as a product, as the fibre network was / is ring diverse?

sorry for the derail.

15. caspian

caspian Member

just demand vs the product timeline. there's only so much bandwidth to develop products and capabilities, and that has to be matched against the demand and revenue stream.

it also doesn't help when the goalposts keep changing, or more accurately, the game keeps getting modified to different rules, different goals, played on a different field. MTM put about a 2 year speed bump in a lot of other development.

16. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

I need a home network upgrade, can you point me to my nearest AAS that I can jimmy open please?

In all seriousness with a contended network, isn't the NBN building a buffer bloat network of the future?

- What constitutes a network backhaul upgrade?

If it's just a matter of swapping transceivers on the DSLAM, why not 10g from the get go or are we talking management module swap over type level of work?

Now that I've officially derailed this thread, back to the OP, NBN is very far away :(

17. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

until all legacy services are off a FTTN node, NBN can't enable vectoring. AFAIK, vectoring will result in much greater speeds and stability due to the ability of the technology to reduce noise/crosstalk. What sort of speeds that translates to over distance, nfi.

18. caspian

caspian Member

incorrect. vectoring is active from day one. what we need to do is some DSL transmission tricks to avoid interfering with the legacy DSL too much.

19. caspian

caspian Member

sure, it will be in your local Telstra exchange. good luck connecting to it though, you can no more connect directly to an AAS than you can to a 500kv power line.

no, why would it be? that's only the case if network capacity is not maintained in line with demand, and this isn't Telstra again.

could be anything from increasing a subrate limited leased backhaul plus changing the egress rate limiters at both ends, to swapping optical transceivers and patching onto a larger DWDM path.

you don't provision 10G out of the box because it costs money to have that capacity sitting there unused. even if you own the fibre, line cards still cost money, for instance a 12-port 10G card might cost $50k, whereas a 48-port 1G card is only $12k. then you need to pay for the optics themselves... potentially several thousand each (times both ends) versus a few hundred for 1G units.

then you get into transmission capacity. 40G DWDM channels can host 4x 10G links or 40x 1G links. if you consume every subchannel on the card you're paying for more, at both ends, plus new subracks to hold them, plus the power cards and subcontroller cards, and maybe additional rack and power space. if you're not using all of the bandwidth, you're just wasting money.

AAS aggregators are designed to split dual-homed 10G circuits down to 1G circuits. if you do 10G from day one, you don't need the AAS boxes. you *do* though now need a lot more 10G ports on the core aggregation network, which means chassis, line cards, optics and racks to hold everything. that alone would cost multiple hundreds of millions of dollars.

if you need to upgrade, you upgrade, but that's on the basis of demand, which means you've got revenue coming in to pay for it. paying for something you don't need now, won't for years, and may never is a loser all around.

please take this last bit as intended. I'm speaking plainly as a compliment to you.

ultimately, it's a failing of geeks that they vastly overestimate the amount of bandwidth required. they base their expectations of the "average user" on themselves, and as a result they are always way, way out of range. so was I when I learned the business.

your average geek thinks that upgrading from 16 to 32G of RAM is a good move, because it's only $100 or whatever more, and they'll need it eventually, and they don't have to open up the case again etc.

networking professionals don't think like that. they think they've got several thousand sites in their network, and building them at all 10G from the outset would cost an additional $200m or whatever, and they've got to write a business case to their management justifying the cost of hardware that usage predictions show won't be needed for years. for that matter, a certain proportion of the gear will fail and need to be replaced, or be obsolete and end-of-support by the vendor, before it ever shows a revenue stream. that's not going to happen.

so the networking professional designs and proposes a network that meets needs now, with an upgrade path into the future. whirlpool posters, who don't have the experience to think beyond a video card upgrade, don't understand this.

20. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

How close? -8 days. Still waiting for nbnco to update their website though so I can actually put a fucking order through...