The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. mareke

mareke Member

They could have found that the lead in was faulty. I once rang Telstra to complain about my phone and internet and they sent someone out who found that the lead in cable from the pit to the townhouse block had something called 'battery'. A contractor was sent out to replace it and he reported that it had been done and presumably he was paid. I then complained that there had been no improvement so a second tech was sent out and she found that the contractor had not replaced the cable and instead connected a couple of spare wires from the lead in cable to my townhouse. The lying bastard was dishonest and thought he'd get away with it. When the lead in cable from the pit to the building was changed the problem was fixed.

2. caspian

caspian Member

I don't think the network construction crew would be testing coax drops, especially not when in use. it's possible they say physical damage and decided to do a parallel run though. I don't know what their processes are.

in your case, using the second pair in the existing leadin is a perfectly acceptable solution. nobody would replace the cable unless all available pairs had been exhausted. he should have tested the second pair to determine it was OK but who knows what the issue was.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was expecting 'further action' by tomorrow, and pissed at the wait. Just to be sure, since I've heard nothing, I called Optarse and asked.

Now 'further action' is STILL required, and they are telling me at least another month... but of course I had to ring THEM to discover this little, unimportant detail.

I think I might move to Korea....

4. Embercide

Embercide Member

Well I received my new telstra modem (with 'air') in the mail yesterday, there's no F type connector only RJ45's. So now it makes sense why an NBN tech has to attend and run a new cable - they'll install another NTU and run cat5 from there to inside the house.

5. caspian

caspian Member

the NTU is the modem. it uses an f-type coax connector. the NBN tech won't be doing anything other than making sure the modem is online, any ethernet cabling to the ISP supplied router is your issue.

still unclear why they needed a new cable, all they should have had to do is come inside and replace the Telstra modem with the NBN one.

6. Embercide

Embercide Member

I'll have an answer for you sometime on Wednesday between the hours of 0800 and 1300 :lol:

7. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Model number?

8. Embercide

Embercide Member

DJN2130 - Telstra Gateway Frontier

9. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Still scratchin my head at what may have been ordered. Looks like it's the new xdsl modem/router ?

10. Sleepyz7z

Sleepyz7z Member

what they don't specify in the features is it also has 1x WAN ethernet port so it basically acts as the gateway when plugged into the Arris modem

11. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

If that right then sounds like all NBN, (Telstra), customers get one of these.

Does the job for all technologies even if it's just acts as a standalone router for those on HFC. Can only guess that it's to get Telstra Air out there to the masses?

12. Embercide

Embercide Member

They can GAGF, i'm acting as a hotspot for everyone else. I planned on using my Asus RT-AC68U router anyway :thumbup:

13. caspian

caspian Member

the TG799vac they have been issuing for ages can do the same thing. no idea if it's Air capable or not though.

14. petercr

petercr Member

Just put through a transfer request this morning with Internode - had a question so I rang up & the helpful person at the other end helped me finish it and then ran an SQ test for me and said I should get somewhere around 70-90Mbps. Change-over date scheduled for next Monday as it's just an FTTN cut-over... <fingers crossed>

15. Copie

Copie Member

Why on earth would you go with internode/iinet/tpg, they are making a real mess of NBN connections currently.

16. petercr

petercr Member

Because I've been with Internode for the past 12yrs+ and have not had any issues with them. I'm happy with the level and quality of service they offer.

Price also meets what I'm prepared to pay...

EDIT: and given that it's an FTTN service, there shouldn't be much for them to make a mess of...

17. Copie

Copie Member

The internode of the past vs what its become in the last 12 months are two very different beasts.

18. petercr

petercr Member

Haven't noticed any difference in service and with the couple of phone conversations I've had this week, I haven't noticed any real difference there (wait-times might be a bit longer than 5yrs ago but with call-back that's fine).

19. Embercide

Embercide Member

The TPGs and Internodes of the NBN world all smell oversubscribed to me. I can't see them buying the same amount of bandwidth per customer that Telstra would for the prices they're charging.

Still not as bad as dodo though

20. power

power Member

Oh yeah Telstra would never do that.

Good thing we gauge internet on smell though.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...VbGSu0TlRDcAdBREg&sig2=NQl_GjrcxrC5ZqhZELQSDA

Last edited: May 27, 2017