The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Embercide

Embercide Member

2. power

power Member

What fairness is that, oversubscribe your budget offering deliberately?

3. Embercide

Embercide Member

[​IMG]

Putting my business hat on, why would anyone pay $15 more for Telstra if Belong was just as fast?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  4. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

Show me a residential isp that doesn't oversubscribe and i will show you a politician who doesn't lie.

5. mareke

mareke Member

I've been with TPG for many years for ADSL2 and have never had a problem but I basically just do web browsing. I was thinking of trying Dodo if I move to my investment property which has NBN but I'll think twice about it after seeing your post. Dodo has stands in shopping centres and a guy I spoke to at one made it sound like a good alternative to TPG but he wasn't exactly unbiased and gets a commission for each customer he signs up. Dodo was bought by M2 Telecom I believe.

6. caspian

caspian Member

well, if people are going to buy on the basis of price over all else, the provider has to cut their costs in line with what they can see it for.

as Embercide said - there has to be some sort of quality differential or they are just going to cannibalise their own premium brand. that's what irritates me most about TPG buying iiNet/Internode - I'm afraid they are not going to maintain the premium offering for those who want it.

that said, TPG have quite surprised me of late. I can't comment on the quality of their customer service etc, but their network offering seems to be improving so credit where credit is due.

7. Ck21

Ck21 Member

well their email service (internode) has degraded to shit since the tpg takeover.

their spam filters dont work, and manual settings are reset account wide if your filters cause even the slightest bit of extra work for the email server. (i had spam filter turned up to 9 for each mailbox, and 1 mailbox had about 43 strict vanish rules for spam that made it pass the generic spam filter, which gets reset to default every 2nd day).

So now that FTTN has been activated in my area, im not only looking for a different, premium ISP, but looking into getting my own domain/hosted email service on top.

Been a loyal internode customer since 2006, will be jumping ship ASAP

8. petercr

petercr Member

Slightly puzzled...

Yesterday, I get a generic email from NBNCo (probably as a result of recently clicking on a 'tell me when I can get it' link) that 'sorry, the NBN is not currently available in your area...'

As per previous posts, got onto Internode on Saturday and ordered my transfer over to NBN. They did an SQ test so I'm assuming they can see that it is available to order(RFS date was last Friday)...

I'm in Narangba on 4NRB-02.

EDIT: Internode have confirmed switch-over for sometime between 7am and 2pm next Monday so lets see what happens... maybe they know more than NBNCo's emails?

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Kinda NBN related but just recontracted with Bigpond on the 500gig plan for $69, (including speed boost), per month.
    Thought that was pretty good value for Bigpond.
    NBN is supposedly coming through our area early next year so guessing they're trying to lock in the uncontracted customers?

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Had a guy turn up yesterday checking out the pit beside my front wall. He wanted to test the line from my pit to the pits that have been remediated on the road. Woot !!

However.. it seems nobody has actually tested these lines.. the ones they installed new pits to connect to.. before discovering that the lines go into the house.. and nowhere from the pit. They have fuck all to do with the remediated pits on the road, they originate and terminate at the house.

So now, he has to arrange to have a line installed from the pit on the road to the pit at my house.. via my concrete driveway, there is no unexposed dirt that belongs to me between my house and the road....

Apparently they cut 500x500 access holes into the driveway every 10m or so, and bore from one to the next under the concrete. Thats about 7 holes. When they are finished, they concrete the access holes back over.

Korea is looking better every day.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmm, not overly. Currently I'm getting 500Gig, speed boost, cable 100MB/s, plus landline, for $79.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Today I have a bunch of people with backhoes and stuff digging up the pits on the footpath that they just removed and replaced a few weeks ago...

No wonder the fucking NBN is costing so much to build. I can't help feeling that it would have been cheaper to leave the entire old network to rot and simply start from scratch, using the good gear. The man and equipment hours already spent in just getting my connection happening (nobody else on the entire street has signed up for NBN, I've doorknocked. Average age of residents in this street is about 97 I think...) are incredible.. and they are digging it up again !!

I've always thought it was bizarre that telcos are the worst communicators of all. They can't even talk to each other properly, let alone their customers.

Click to view full size!

13. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

So was talking to tpg that i have been a happy customer with for 3 years and the said that it would take 2-30 days for the NBN connection to be installed when we move on friday and they will email once they have a date. Got an email 2 hours later with a date of 2 MONTHS AWAY "MOTHER FUCKERS..."

So pissed right now.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Only two months? If they live up to their word.. REJOICE !!!!

15. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

yea, so tpg lied to you :p
    they just get the first avaialble appointment offered by nbn..

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Got a leafdrop from iprimus yesterday.....they've even given me a date for NBN at my place.....25/8/2017. Lets see how accurate that is.

17. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I doubt it's a prank :lol: A prank no ne gets? lol

I suggest you stake out the area and swoop in for covert NBN analysis when the workmen arrive ;)

19. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I dunno, some of the people here on OCAU are bastards, I wouldn't put it past them :D

I have been keeping an eye out, if anyone shows up, I will jump on them and ask. There's quite a few of them, mostly the same length, but there's one that has about four meters sticking out of the ground. Why? Dunno.

20. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

could be any kind of civil works in honesty..