The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. petercr

petercr Member

It's the same DA area shown on Finder, www.nationalmap.gov.au and the NBN site so maybe they're all wrong?

Edit: and we have a Telstra pit on the footpath near our side fence.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. caspian

caspian Member

OK, you're definitely not connected to the node you mentioned above.

physical line length is about 550m, but you have a bridge tap inside your house that makes it look longer and is also costing you about 13Mbps in attainable speed. the coexistence settings of the node also need to be factored in, that depresses your speed about 10-11Mbps for the settings that site has.

the modem you are using does not have a very good DSL chipset in it, that is also costing you some speed. get a Broadcom based modem.

if you optimise everything you have access to you might make it up to 50Mbps or so, but the 100Mbps profile you are paying for is a waste of money.

3. petercr

petercr Member

Not surprised about the bridge tap. The house has about 3 or 4 unused phone points, might get a cabler in to wire the one point direct.

I might have got have got the node ID wrong but are you suggesting that we might not be on the node that supposedly covers our DA? Next-nearest node is on Homeworld Dr near the Young Rd intersection...

4. caspian

caspian Member

you can't be connected to the wrong node. it is physically impossible. every phone line leads to one pillar only. every pillar is tied to one node only. you have the correct location for the node, and it's inside the ADA boundary, just had the ADA number incorrect.

the line is a couple of hundred metres longer than geography suggests, throw in the other effects mentioned and the current performance is well within expectation.

I can't see a ticket from your ISP yet, but to be honest I don't expect one if they follow the rules, and even if they do log one it will be rejected - there's nothing wrong.

5. petercr

petercr Member

Spoke with internode tonight and mentioned the comments you've made. As a result, we've dropped my speed down to 50/20 so as to not waste money. They've also said they'll send me out a TG-789 which apparently has a Broadcom chipset to see if /how much of a difference that makes compared to my FB 7390...

6. caspian

caspian Member

I can see the order has completed, you're on 50/20 now.

the next biggest thing you can do is get that internal wiring sorted out.

7. chrissara

chrissara Member

Hi Caspian,

Are you able to see if Andergrove in Mackay (Qld) is about to be switched on? It seems all work has been done in the area (it was slated for a June 2017 date but got pushed back to July 2017)?

8. caspian

caspian Member

all of the data comes from the same source, if the latest update is July then that's what it is.

9. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

Submitted my application last Friday and have an install date for this Friday fro HFC, Will be interesting to see how it all goes.

10. Embercide

Embercide Member

You're not on the northside by chance are you?
    The fuckers didn't show up to my appointment last week and are rescheduled for this Friday for HFC also.

11. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

Eight Mile Plains, Also had NBN call to confirm the appointment.

12. Embercide

Embercide Member

That means sweet f' all, so did I :lol:

My original installation window was between 0800-1200.
    I called at 1100 to check it was still going ahead, get put on hold while they talk to the tech and find out he was running late on the current install but would most definitely be there to do the install today.

Called again at 1400, get put on hold again for 20mins and find out he cancelled.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Good luck having anyone turn up to an appointment at all, let alone on time. My initial 'contract' which I signed up for many months ago now is still not active (after they called me and said NBN is available, do you want it? and I said fuck yeah!).

The last I heard, they planned on digging up my concrete driveway sometime this month, as the pit outside my house goes nowhere but inside the house (whoever built the house 30 years ago had a pit installed, with I assume Foxtel/similar wiring into the house but not to the road, but nobody actually checked to see if the wiring went anywhere before they started remediating the pits on the road!!!!)

Today, there is an NBN van running cable from a pit 3 doors down the road into a pit in their driveway.

I get that my house has its own individual issues, but these issues should have been established on the first visit, not month by month. FFS they were planning to connect to a line that doesn't even exist..

the NBN guy was stunned that nobody had even tested the wiring in my pit to discover it goes nowhere. Every month, I get advised of another months delay (after I contact THEM because they couldn't be fucked telling me they aren't coming as promised).

Not happy Jan.

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Take anything NBNco say with a grain of salt. Generally speaking they are full of shit when they make timing/contract promises and consistently fail to deliver.

I understand that their job is a complex one riddled with inconsistencies and unknowns, but they do themselves no favours when they employ people of little competence and experience.

They seem to simply ballpark roll-outs, get started into construction, realise everything they planned on using is fucked then throw their hands in the air advising your connection is going to be postponed a further 6 months while they go and do the inspections, assessment and planning they should have conducted in the first place. If they bothered to do this in the first instance they will probably find half the infrastructure they were relying on using is not fit for use and would be cheaper just to reinstate new infrastructure in its place from the beginning instead of attempting half arsed band-aid fixes only resulting in further maintenance and repair costs.

Too long have they been getting away with such a presumptuous "she be right" attitude.

Believe you will be connected when you are actually connected, and then be disappointed that your internet connection went to the shit

15. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

I still havn't been notified by any of the ISP's telling me NBN is even available so I should be well ahead of the rush for our area, Guess I will find out tomorrow....

16. Embercide

Embercide Member

Keep me updated in this thread when they arrive.
    We'll see who (if either) of us get cut over first ;)

17. Copie

Copie Member

I wouldn't be relying on RSPs to tell you when the area is active

18. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

Had NBN capability officially in my area recently, mailbox filled by 3 different ISPs with offers to switch over to NBN, including a call from one of them (my current provider, TPG). They didn't mention the 18 month deadline at all, but instead phrased it to sound like it was a routine upgrade that had to be done soon, and all I had to do with book in a technician appointment.

While on the phone, I asked them if there was any discount for being a 9.5 year long loyal customer, and there wasn't, except for the waiving of the set-up fee, if I committed to a 12 or 18 month contract. If I just wanted month by month (no contract), it was $99 set up fee, that she was willing to discount because of my customer status. No thanks.

I then informed them that their offered plans were worse than my current ADSL 2+ plan/speeds that I was obtaining. Not to mention I would have to rewire my cabling as the only place the modem could enter was where the current HFC Foxtel cabling was and also be subject to NBN installation woes. I would be reducing my speed from a current 14mbps sync speed to a 12mbps promised speed, for the exact same cost, it does not make any economic sense at all. If they had offered the 25/5 mbps plan at the same price, I'd probably take it.

I'm going to leave it as late as possible to switch over, by 15-18 month's time, maybe the network and congestion issues are better, or maybe technology has improved. I heard rumblings of DOCSIS 3.1 being rolled out in 2018 sometime. The other people nearby who have changed to HFC NBN have been reporting a mixture of OK speeds and horrendous sub-ADSL speeds depending on the time. What a mess.

EDIT: Ah found it - http://www2.nbnco.com.au/corporate-...bn-hits-1Gbps-on-first-DOCSIS-3_1-trials.html (06/06/2017)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  19. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

After another delay being announced for my area, I gave up and went with Hyperwave and currently have a (relatively) fast 25/5.

20. caspian

caspian Member

of course they did. they're only going to provide you with the details of the option they want you to take.

what woes are these? you have an existing cable drop. the install consists of swapping your existing modem to the NBN one.

as always, totally dependent on how much CVC the access seeker wants to purchase.