The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

NBN Tech has been an gone (He was here at 8am for an 8-12 appointmnet)......what a surprise no connection. Basically they haven't connected the equipment at our townhouse complex to the rest of the world, Plugged in his little tested and got nothing.

2. Embercide

Embercide Member

Mine arrived at 0820, finished by 0840. I'm just glad they came this time.
    As i suspected they didn't have to run another cable from the street, it reused the existing bigpond cable. Don't know why Telstra argued with me when I ordered :lol:

3. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

With no mention nor hint of the lengthy 18 month deadline. No wonder so many unaware people are under the impression it's urgent and must be done immediately. Let alone why that 18 month deadline exists in the first place.

One doesn't need to look far to see that getting NBN technicians to stick to an accurate time frame is sketchy at best. Also keep in mind there is no value proposition to the NBN plan offered in my circumstance, using my valuable time for a net loss is not high on my priority list.

So far, the others have switched to Telstra NBN via HFC, FWIW.

4. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

It seems that from a quick google search of CVC pricing issues, the congestion involved in CVC allocation are a direct result of CVC pricing being too expensive for RSPs to provide the advertised speeds of NBN, all you have to do is a quick google referencing CVC pricing to see a plethora of articles claiming this exact issue.

It does seem however that as time passes, cvc costs will be reduced along with associated larger discounts for bigger cvc purchases by RPS's. But as it goes, early adopters get screwed, while NBNCo & RSP's get their money :thumbdn:

5. caspian

caspian Member

nope. not the outcome that suits them. you're probably under the impression that you're something other than a source of profit to them or something?

you've perhaps missed the discussion over the previous few pages where I have proved time and again that what the end user has heard from their ISP is very, very different to what the ISP was actually told by NBN.

fine, so don't for the moment if you're happy with your existing service.

thereby fairly solidly suggesting that that is an ISP not to use, yes?

there's a bunch of complaining about it, yes. doesn't make it accurate. if you read further you'll see that it's because the ISPs in question are trying to maintain current pricing for a far superior product. if so, more fool them.

the only "discounts" are the ones recently introduced (like in the last fortnight) for ISPs that improve their customers experience by providing a higher amount of average data. there are economies of scale, but every ISPs faces that challenge, and has forever too.

the bottom line is the industry needs to drag its thinking out of the last decade, just like the MPAA needs to drag its out of the last century. neither model works any more, they need to adapt.

6. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Node was due to go live today but just got this from my ISP.

"NBNCo has had a problem in establishing a connection to your home. We're waiting for them to fix this, so that we can start getting your service hooked up."

Zzzzz.

7. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Is this the NBNCo endorsed attitude for the general populous that are happy with their current connection speed and cost?

"Too bad, we've installed a better technology funded by your tax but it will cost more, and perform worse, because CVC pricing is up the shit and congestion is a real and apparent issue, but that is your ISP's problem, and they need to purchase more CVC so you can achieve the same comparable speed you had on your "outdated tech" on our 'new tech platform' and pay twice the price, because to reiterate, CVC prices are up the shit."

Everywhere you look, this is the case.

And ISP's were also able to provide better pricing on outdated tech that provides better performance, than NBN's offering (and lets be real, CVC pricing is a DIRECT NBN offering and must be wholly considered).

I would like to hear more about this model, because the general consensus from the outside is that it doesn't look too promising.

Edit: Hell, I dont even know why NBNCo are triallying DOCSIS 3.1 1gbps, its not like anyone will be able to afford it anyway

8. caspian

caspian Member

I have no idea, I don't speak for them. anything I say is my informed point of view.

complaints about technology in use are really, really tired. complain to the government, they dictated the choice. it has nothing whatsoever to do with NBN themselves.

CVC pricing is driven by cost. there's no money tree to shake, and I have no idea why people think that cost can somehow be made to just vanish. can you make your personal expenses go away by wishing really, really hard they would? what colour is the sky in that world?

yes, on a network that was in some cases old enough to vote and thus fully depreciated, and with a performance ceiling a fraction of what's now available, and an average actual performance of 11.1Mbps. but of course it's completely reasonable to compare that to a brand new network where even the slowest terrestrial connection technology averages 68Mbps.

I mean, it's totally reasonable to expect a Ferrari for the price of a Commodore, isn't it? they're both cars, they should be directly comparable? how dare Ferrari expect to be able to charge more for their product. :rolleyes:

9. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

So the pole pix that I posted on page 46, there's a trenching crew in the street during this week, and I asked them what they were running. One of the mugs said that it was broadband for TPG - not the NBN?!?! He said that he didn't know why TPG was running parallel infrastructure to the NBN - has anyone heard of this happening anywhere?

10. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

If we're using analogies, the government has bought us a Ferrari using our money and is then leasing it back to us at retail. Why are we paying retail when we already own the damn car?

11. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Mind you, leasing it back to us at $$ per horsepower so economically nonviable we get worse performance out of our "Ferrari" than our old 90 VN bombadore.

12. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    In a suprise move, installation in my area has been moved from 2019 to 2018 and switched from FTTN to FTTC. ( :D If it really happens.)

Given that I'm ~500m from the pillar and I use ADSL1 protocol because it is faster & more stable than ADSL2/2+, that is fantastic news. (Fantastic in the original sense, since it is very good, but might still just be a fantasy... :p )

13. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

nbn via fttn
    theyve told me the fnn it's on
    the premises has at least 30 pair comin in
    the licenced sparky jumpered it from the inbound pair to a patch port but no sync

we dont know if the mdf book is up to date, should we be able to get nbnco to come and tag it to the mdf?

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Yep. TPG do run their own fibre, we see them alot on DBYD's as 'Pipe Networks" for underground infrastructure.

Optus Uecomm, telstra, Opticomm also run their own dedicated fibre (along-side NBN)

15. caspian

caspian Member

yet again, take that up with the government. I don't speak for them and neither do NBN. the government decreed the NBN to be a wholesale provider only.

ah, so apparently you think you should pay less for your Ferrari just because you choose to drive it at less than the performance it is capable of?

yes, that's quite reasonable. NBN own the jumper and have a responsibility to terminate it correctly to the premises side of the building MDF.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  16. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

F'n sweet, thanks for the information! Might be changing providers, if TPG beat the NBN to the punch, and esp. if TPG is FTTP, rather than HFC!!

17. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

A bold claim considering greenfield developments are 100% developer funded. The cost doesn't vanish, NBNCo just put out their hand for more money.

No I cannot make my personal expenses disappear by merely wishing so, but I do expect that when I pay a bill it doesn't reoccur on me.

I bought a new car last year, am yet to get a call from Mazda regarding additional costs.

Maybe you need to take off those rose coloured glasses and see the deployment for what it is, so you can actually do something about it.

CVC purchasing is as much an NBN problem as it is an RSP problem, NBN is literally pricing themselves out of the market. You dont think RSP's would buy more CVC if it were more affordable?

Once again, your ferrari is being out performed by a commodore thats being pushed uphill by two blokes in stubbies and a carton of vb.....Why? because your fuel is too expensive.

18. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

cool.. I'll go back to RSP

19. Embercide

Embercide Member

In case anybody is interested in HFC speed tests:

On Telstra bigpond I would regularly get 118/2.2
    On Telstra HFC NBN I'm getting 94/38 (at this time of day)

So I've lost about 2MB/s download speed but obviously gained on the upload, which is the reason for me jumping in so soon.

20. caspian

caspian Member

and do you realise that cost flows directly through to the end user via the developer just putting it into the block pricing? so the same person pays regardless?

you also need to differentiate between build costs, and run costs. we're talking about the latter, so picking a random factoid and offering it up doesn't make it a valid point of argument.

cool, so I only need to pay one power bill ever, and even if I use more power it's free?

that's because you are failing to differentiate between a capital expense and an operational expense. how about you take your car back to Mazda and ask them to service it, then tell them you shouldn't have to pay for the work because you already bought the car itself?

and I think you need to work on your argument a bit harder, because currently you don't have one that I can see.

yet again, it costs what it costs, and unless you've got that money tree, that is not going to change. you can redistribute the cost structure as much as you like, but ultimately the sum total of the bill is the same. just as a matter of interest, do you think that cutting a cake into 12 pieces instead of 8 lowers the calories if you still eat the whole cake?

and since you won't have a choice in 18 months, the argument is pointless anyway.

then you're going to be walking and looking at everyone else who accepted reality having a great time in their Ferraris soon.