The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Cheers, I've got a pretty good handle on most things telco, although always sniffing around for more design insights and the inside track.

I thought it best to keep the questions vague enough to get some actual facts out there, not spin from the fluffy world of marketing and what they consider information for people.

You've probably noticed the lack of fucks given about CVC from my posts, I understand and appreciate the business complexity, the cost recovery modeling and a network still very much in its infancy.

Business cases are great, I've been doing them for enough years to 'accommodate' stakeholder interests ;)

2. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

My apologies, I reread the article and you're indeed correct.

Out of curiosity, how well do these tricks eliminate the cross talk noise? It is really all that effective?

In any case, I imagine that the VDSL2 vectoring will be far more effective once all legacy connections are off the node and proper FEXT can be deployed.

It also doesn't help that NBNCo only guarantees a minimum 12/1 during the transition period for non-basement FTTN users. I think many companies would be using this as a scapegoat for under provisioning CVC

3. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

In practice they don't even guarantee 12Mbps, I've had services as low as 8/2Mbps written off by NBN as "working as intended" as their first line of response.

I never followed up on those faults though so I don't know what ended up happening to them.

4. caspian

caspian Member

very. the lab experiments I have done show substantial reductions in attainable rates from deactivating vectoring. in the order of 40% or more. the technology works very well at boosting speeds through cancelling controllable noise.

the boost will mostly be gained through not having to run downstream power backoff (much the same as Telstra cabinet padding), but there are also some other tweaks that will be introduced at the same time.

that's the result of the laws of physics. NBN inherited Telstra's network which was built to a certain standard, which well predated any form of data transmission. the rules need to be set to provide guidance around worst-case-scenario instances (which are the ones in question), in line with government mandated requirements.

if the ISPs are using this as an escape clause, it's easy enough to detect - if your throughput it not in line with what your modem's sync speed indicates should be possible, give your ISP the hairy eyeball and ask why.

for copper services or fibre?

5. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Just copper. Speed faults on FTTP are 99.9% RSP/CPE issues in my experience.

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i got NBN in my area now but my cable is still faster than my mate's NBN with FTTB so i don't see the point.

7. sw1tch

sw1tch Member

You sure his upload speed isn't significantly faster than yours? Well at least he has the option to select 40mbps anyway :lol:

8. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

yeah i would love the faster upload speed to host game servers with friends easily, he does have the 40mbit up but only 80 down. i don't know why telstra nerf the upload speed so much when uploads count towards the cap.

9. Renza

Renza Member

Because they allocate way more channels to downstream so that they can stick more customers on without causing congestion.

10. caspian

caspian Member

that is also my experience. a very few are caused by bad NTD hardware or a programming error, it's pretty much the diammetrical opposite of copper though where you start with the assumption that the line is the issue.

you're entitled to require that any service be fixed to minimum speed SLA, it's in the WBA documentation.

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

So i've had my telephone wires redone (3 extensions removed), is this better or worse or what?
    I have no idea what the numbers mean...
    Cheers
    http://puu.sh/tlZhG/8d2bfb80d7.png

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  12. Renza

Renza Member

Much better, you can get 50/20 without many issues now. around twice the max rate of before

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

Nice..
    now to get someone to convert the 610 socket to RJ45, and include another RJ45 network port to link it to another room at the other end of house..(2 gang wall plate)
    gotta find someone decent fairly local (I'm in the country)

14. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, 50/20 should work fine. if you want to try before you buy, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

no need to replace the 610 wallplate if it's not faulty, they work just fine. if you're getting cable pulled though you might as well.

15. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Kinda pointless changing the sync speed as the throughput should be capped by the RSP anyway.

16. Sledge

Sledge Member

My ISP (iiNet) doesn't have 50/20

I want to replace the 610 so it's neater, and because i'm wanting a network port there anyway..
    Otherwise, yeah, wouldn't bother..

17. caspian

caspian Member

I am referring to sync speed, not throughput. no point doing the latter as the access seeker should be shaping to PIR and burst rates in accordance with the product specs, if they don't do that then the fine grained bandwidth control in the aggregation network will hurt far more than the resulting simple packet loss.

the reason I offered is that low speed port profiles often don't show the maximum attainable rate as the modems hit the maximum noise margin specified in the spectral profile and stop trying for higher bitloading. the upshot is that low speed profiles don't always show true attainables.

18. BazzaB

BazzaB New Member

Long time lurker, first time poster..

My area went RFS back on Dec 23rd.

My street is part of a HFC infill area. New cable was run up the street, taps done in the pits, lead in done, pcd fitted to the house back in October.

Now, more than 6 weeks later we still show as "additional work required"

Desperately hanging out to connect to 100/40 after years of about 4.5Mbps, but no body can tell me when that may happen.
    :confused:

Anyone else experienced this?

19. caspian

caspian Member

infill areas seem to take a long time to come online. your ISP should be following up with NBN for you.

20. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Finally an "update" for my address after years of nothing, 2020 unplanned... So probably HFC and 3 more years of Telstra :sick:

Really sucks as 2 blocks and a road away in one direction is all FTTP and 3 blocks in the the other direction is also FTTP.