The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Id say fttn might be different

ive been on FTTP since 2015 in a new development so was all quite quick for me, now upgrading to 1000mbps down, 400mbps up

2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

3. roger895

roger895 Member

...until peak hour...

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

just received an email from Telstra that NBN HFC is finally coming to my area (I'm on a HFC with Telstra with free speed boost).. Not looking forward to it when it comes, although I do want the faster upload speeds but i'm hearing a lot of horror stories about NBN HFC's speeds being worse than normal HFC

5. Recharge

Recharge Member

that better not be true!!! there will be blood!

6. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

What suburb are you in? I'm in 3130 and apparently NBN is coming in mid-October.

Currently on Optus cable.

Hopefully HFC NBN will not be worse than current speeds, I think I'd lose it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I'm in Mount Waverley, connecting through the Jordanville Node

8. caspian

caspian Member

so don't cut over until Telstra get their shit together and start buying some adequate CVC capacity.

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

And they publish this information for their customers where exactly....

/rhetorical

they aren't making it easy to be an informed customer.

I note NBN is now hardcore advertising "don't blame us talk to your ISP first" ads on telly.

10. bryn

bryn Member

They dont... but you coukd go with another ISP?

11. caspian

caspian Member

I am actually surprised that the better providers are not, as a point of differentiation to encourage customers. as to the rest, nobody is going to provide data to prove they are shit in comparison, are they?

of course. sick of being the convenient whipping boy. of course you'll still probably be lied to by your ISP, but that won't last much longer between the ACCC speed test program and some other coming developments.

just as a matter of interest, I got to see some survey data the other day. I can't reveal exact numbers, but let's just say that the dissatisfaction rate with poor speeds is over 10 times the NBN reported fault rate. so the bottom line is the ISPs absorb the vast majority of end user complaints internally and don't escalate them on, because they known damn well where the fault lies. when NBN starts charging no fault found fees for rubbish escalations I fully expect those numbers to drop further.

so if you're having problems with crap speeds due to ISP congestion (which is fairly easily diagnosed, your throughput is far below what your speed tier or DSL sync speed should support), ask them for the fault ticket number they get from NBN, or what restoration time NBN have given them. if they can't supply either, guess what? they're not reporting it to NBN, because they know it will be rejected after some simple testing. don't worry, if they think it's genuinely NBN's fault they'll be quick enough to blame them.

12. rogo

rogo Member

Would it be true that at RFS date a node would be unable to service all premises in the area it services?

I have been trying for about 9 months to get connected to the NBN and the latest reason from NBNCo via Telstra is that there is a network shortfall and the node needs to be upgraded.

How are the connections in a node allocated? I applied when area was declared RFS surely all ports had not been used by then.

13. caspian

caspian Member

absolutely. the published RFS applies to the SAM, not an individual premises. there are all sorts of reasons a single premises might not be RFS yet.

what does your ISP say NBN have advised? they're going to need to trouble themselves to do more than just put in a copypasta ticket and receive a copypasta reply. like maybe pick up the phone and speak to someone.

there are more ports available then premises served by a node. as a general practical rule, port shortages are not possible.

14. rogo

rogo Member

Thanks caspian, I believe Telstra is trying a bit harder this time, I did need to reiterate my house was the only one in the street which could not connect. They are contacting the NBN again to get more info.

I have long had a suspicion that problems with my connection in the Telstra pit may be contributing to this inability to connect the NBN. In between the node being built and the area going RFS there was a period when the line was unusable due to noise. Would it be possible NBNCo did some testing of the line then and determined mine was unsuitable for NBN?

15. caspian

caspian Member

unlikely. NBN don't do pretesting of individual services like that. all they do is a broad survey at the time of asset transfer from Telstra.

more likely it's a records issue with your line only. that is fixable, but they need to be prepare to escalate and manage the resolution outside call centre sausage factory process.

16. rogo

rogo Member

Thanks again caspian, good to know the line problem should not influence NBN connectivity.

I am hopeful Telstra is escalating this matter properly this time around, I have been stressing to them it is most likely a database problem.

17. caspian

caspian Member

PM me your address if you want and I will take a look. all care but no guarantees.

18. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Feeling frustrated!!

NBN guys couldn't install due to broken underground connection, fair enough not there fault. Return later to fix underground fault and end up working till 10pm and say that I will need to wait a couple if days before contacting RSP. Contact RSP and they say that it has been marked with NBN as being fixed. They log a job with NBN to get an update and provide the serial numbers of the boxes on my wall. Call back 3 days later, nope, they cant see it as being connected now have to wait another 3 weeks. FFS!

19. Zyklone

Zyklone Member

Hey guys,

Forgive if wrong thread but which provider has the best international routing? Is it still Telstra? I'm with Internode FTTP currently and while cvc congestion is minimal compared to TPG people in my building their international routing has gone through the toilet lately.

Mainly looks at routes to Asia and Europe.

20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

if you want me to look into it, i work at telstra. PM whatever reference number you have)