The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. BazzaB

BazzaB New Member

Cheers for that.

Did some light reading on Whingepool last night, seems very common to be delayed.

The only instance I have found from all the infill areas to date that are RFS, was from a guy on the Gold Coast whose RSP managed to convince nbn to send a tech out whom confirmed that everything was in place and they had signal to the house, nbn then changed the service class from 20 to 22 and they could order. The reason given in the end was that it was simply a database error because the original info is pulled from Telstra, and the fact that these streets never had HFC they weren't on there.

My RSP isn't having any such luck so far, they are just being told that no extra info is available and no remedial date is showing at this stage.

I call every Friday, but naturally I don't get any info either, not sure why I keep doing this to myself, I guess I live in hope that one week they will have some further info for me...

It would be so much easier running a business from home with a faster service.

Very frustrating, I just want to sign up ;-)

2. r8response

r8response Member

Our area should be RFS next friday.

We're at least 800m away from the nearest FTTN cabinet. So it should be interesting.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Holy crap. Noticed this thread pop up again and thought yeah might have another fruitless attempt at trying to find out what decade I will get NBN. Last checked a couple months ago and there was nothing on the horizon.

"Good news, construction of the nbn™ network started in your area using fixed line technology.

The nbn™ network is estimated to be available in your area: Feb 2017*."

Holy crap. Oh I already said that. Or how about "I'm Big Kev and I'm excited!!!!" Damn, he died, don't want to emulate him. But yeah, I'm excited.. :cool:

I haven't seen any evidence of cabinets or nodes though.. of course I haven't actually been looking or known what to look for until backtracking through this thread. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes peeled now !!

That being the case, I'm guessing its unlikely I will be getting to actually use it this month? Or next? :lol:

Hey I can wait a couple months. I've kinda been expecting years....

I want 1,000,000/100,000 ( or as close to it as anyone is offering on a standard residential plan lmfao ) I don't give a shit how much it cost. You don't even know how much shit I don't give. Its a LOT of shit I'm not giving. The most.

Optus currently have me on a 'stable' speed because my speeds have dropped from 16 to about 7 over the last year, and I was getting a massive amount of dropouts. So now I have a vaguely stable 3, which drops to 1 at peak times. They appear to think this is an acceptable solution to an obvious problem.

All I want for Christmas is real internet :thumbup: but hey Santa, I'm flexible, I don't mind if you drop in early. Just invite yourself in..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  4. BazzaB

BazzaB New Member

Hey Ratzz,

I see your location is listed as Cheltenham, I pretty sure from my extensive reading on Whirlpool last night that you're in a HFC area?

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have no clue :lol: Up till 'now' whenever that happens to be, all we have had available is ADSL2+ to the best of my knowledge. Trying to search now but I can find no reference or map of HFC areas to check. Optus site is 'under heavy load' of course and I can find no answers there.

6. josh_676

josh_676 Member

https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/nbn/overview/nbn-rollout-schedule.html

The rollout list will answer your question, second sheet.

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I can see no references on that page or any of the documents linked to on that page to which areas are HFC and which are not. They appear to simply list the expected operating dates?

Since the question was asked, I researched why, and I'm hoping I am not in a HFC suburb, as it would appear to be a bad thing unless you are on the list of 43 'not fit for purpose' suburbs, which I'm not. However whether I am in a HFC suburb at all is still unknown to me.

Is HFC really that bad? Whats a worst case scenario?

9. caspian

caspian Member

Cheltenham is almost 100% HFC. you don't get a choice of technology for your location.

I don't know why people bag HFC. secondary to FTTP it would be my technology of preference.

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

This is good news I hope :) thanks mate. You've certainly been the goto guy for facts in this thread, your opinion is good enough for me :thumbup:

11. BazzaB

BazzaB New Member

Yep, I'd much prefer HFC over FTTN.

If only someone would change my address from additional work required, to congratulations you can order, and I'm there.

6 and a half weeks past RFS and waiting (very impatiently) :(

12. BazzaB

BazzaB New Member

Go to finder.com.au then go into the nbn rollout map, put in your address then if it doesn't tell you there, click on more info & this 'should' tell you what you're getting.

I'd be very surprised if you're not HFC from what I've read.

From what you've said though, you'll be an infill street like us, which in theory means you're in for a bit of a wait after RFS like us, and other infill areas.

13. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

I'm in Cheltenham as well there is no Telstra or Optus cable on my street though I am probably "Cheltenham West" as i'm on the Sandringham side.

14. BuD

BuD Member

at this point i agree. i just switched to cable and its going the clappers
    so many people are having issues with fttn even working slower than their adsl used to

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Optus website is working better than last night :lol:

It appears I can get Optus cable after all. Current best plan for me is basic + speed max, which is unlimited data and 100 down/ 2 up, for $110 (paying a $30 premium for the highest speed). Very disappointed in the 2 up, but maybe that will change when it officially becomes nbn.

Honestly if I can get even 50 down and 2 up, I'd be willing to pay. It took me over 2 hours to upload a 500MB video to Youtube last night. There are fucking 3rd world countries which can do better than that. I'd prefer 100/40 as I see advertised by some telcos. I might hook up to cable and hope for it to magically become faster via the nbn...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  16. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

The HFC services lack support for a static IP address, IP subnets and IPv6.

17. BazzaB

BazzaB New Member

If you sign up now though you are locked in to Optus for presumably 2 years, if you wait for RFS you will have a lot more suppliers to choose from.

Once you go RFS on nbn which you said is due this month, you will have access to 100/40 if that's what you want, and that's certainly what I'm hanging out for.

Some of the more boutique RSP's like SkyMesh have a no lock in contract as well, so you can basically go month to month.

From what I've read so far, some if not all of the ones that offer unlimited downloads suffer congestion at peak times.

18. BazzaB

BazzaB New Member

Have you checked SkyMesh?

This from their website;

Each service is assigned a single public IPv4 address and a /56 pool of IPv6 addresses. Each requesting router or MAC address is assigned a /60 prefix of IPv6 addresses from that pool. Assignments are static but we reserve the right to renumber our network.

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

OK worth thinking about. I'm not interested in unlimited downloads anyway, I'd be more than comfortable with a 500G plan, or maybe 1TB. My current plan is 200G and its ample due to my low speeds, but I'd anticipate higher usage and more downloads with better speeds and the VPN I am now using :lol:

20. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

TIL that SkyMesh are now doing HFC-supplied NBN! Thanks for the heads-up! Now just got to stick it out till 2020...