The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

yes, NBN supply a modem for HFC. your ISP supplies an optional router. little different to fibre or wireless.

2. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

My last experience with HFC was the Optus owned HFC service, and that was an all-singing-all-dancing device that connected to the HFC and was modem/router/wireless/VOIP device.

A different situation from having one company owning the physical infrastructure and another company providing services over that infrastructure!

3. bryn

bryn Member

Sounds like he was confused- as per the link that's been posted, if you were FTTN they would reuse that bit of copper but for HFC they need the coax cable, so they need to get it through. Hopefully they will pull it through your existing conduit but if its blocked or damaged they may not be able to do so.

4. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Finally... I had some actual help from an NBNco technician who properly diagnosed, fixed and did me a favor on my FTTN connection..

diagnosed and fixed - as in this technician found that my copper was still connected to the exchange which was sending some voltage in my line that was probably causing my disconnections.

the favor was drilling a hole right next to the NTD and wiring up a phone port just on the inside of my loungeroom to bypass the ~65m of internal phone cabling (that was daisy chained to 5-6 ports throughout the house!!) This got me an extra ~10mb on my max attainable!

now... to get Telstra to put me on the 100mb plan..

5. scips

scips Member

Casp: anyway to avoid the shitty RSP and go straight to nbn with mac addr for hfc activation?

Really over "hear back in 48hrs" its activating a fuckin mac addr, how does that take over 2weeks...

6. caspian

caspian Member

that was not the issue. we actually implement that upstream connection quite deliberately on request from the ISP if they order ongoing POTS functionality with the connection.

nope. NBN are a wholesaler, they don't have a retail service desk. if they did, they'd be selling services themselves.

7. AlanSteel

AlanSteel Member

So mum was asking about nbn, i checked her address and says nbn available, hfc by looks of it.

She told me their seems to be a foxtel connector in the house next to the antenna plug in lounge.

Taking a look at telstra site, is it a Simple case of self install? or would the $240 option be needed?

I can go pass mums place this week if I need to make sure of anything?

8. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

So if your net is playing up, do people need to power cycle both modem and router, or just router?

I assume both but yeah, good ol' power cycle usually is the first thing I'd try when net speed or ping is playing up.

9. rogo

rogo Member

I am having a problem getting a NBN connection despite the area being RFS since November last year and my neighbours being able to connect.

Telstra has just closed my complaint with no resolution except to offer me an adsl connection. The distance from the exchange is more than 3Km and I get better speed using wireless broadband even though it is restricted to 5Mbs.

They said they would send a technician out to trace my line but for some reason this did not happen.

I cannot believe how hard it is to fix what seems to be a records problem.

The local newspaper had an article about someone being unable to get a phone line in his rental as he did not know the phone number on the existing connection. The solution offered by the telephone company was for him to pay $300 for a new line to be installed.

This made me think that maybe the same solution could be used in my situation. Paying $300 would annoy me but having struggled for 9 months so far it would be worth it to be able to put this behind me.

Does this sound like it would provide a speedy solution to getting a NBN connection?

I have raised the matter twice with Telstra, once with AussieBroadband, with the TIO and with my local MP who has written to the Minister so am really at my wits end.

Thank you for any advice forthcoming.

10. caspian

caspian Member

yes.

depends entirely on which device is having issues, there's no way to predict what needs to be done without knowing exactly what the circumstances are at the time.

you need to keep at your prospective ISP to keep at NBN. they have escalation paths if an inquiry is not getting traction, they should use them.

11. rogo

rogo Member

I have asked many times to escalate my problem to someone who can help but keep getting told I have exhausted all possible avenues. Of course this is through the complaints process and am dealing with overseas people following a script.

Is there a name for any escalation path which I can quote to them?

12. caspian

caspian Member

nope. their company has access to NBN from an escalation point of view, if the individual staff don't know how to escalate internally then there's nothing you can tell them about their own processes.

until you get away from script readers to someone who is actually experienced enough to understand the issue, that's a brick wall.

my colleague has finally accepted that after three weeks of banging his head against a wall with script readers and people who might *sound* like they know what they are doing, but patently don't, his only hope of getting a connection anytime soon was to change ISP.

this is after spending hours on the phone *telling them* what the issue was because he can *see* what they are screwing up, and yet they still can't work out how to fix it.

the new ISP had an order in about 2 hours after he submitted it online, with the right details, and now he just has to wait for another tech to come out and jumper the right line (as opposed to the wrong one which got connected last time, because the old ISP has the records backwards in their systems as well).

how Joe Average gets their problem solved when they can only talk (barely) to a script reader with a minimal ability to communicate in a common language, I have absolutely no idea.

13. macrocephalic

macrocephalic Member

Tell them you're going to change to another ISP and see how they suddenly care. If they don't, then actually change to another ISP.

14. rogo

rogo Member

Thanks caspian, that is how my head feels and is why I would contemplate paying $300 for a new line if it actually enabled me to get a NBN connection. Do you think it is a plausible solution?

Telstra is so large they do not care, have tried another ISP who I believe tried a bit harder but could not get me connected. So left them and now with wireless broadband but do need to get a speedier connection.

15. caspian

caspian Member

while you should not have to do so, yes it would almost certainly work. building the new line would require records to be established, and that's where your issue lies.

16. koopz

koopz Member

I'm just quoting this for a friend.

please - continue.

17. rogo

rogo Member

Thankyou caspian, your guidance is appreciated, you certainly do help many of us in this forum.

I will pursue the new line then, I realise it should not be necessary but it will actually save me money over my next preferred option which was to install an external wireless antenna and change to a speed unrestricted wireless broadband plan. Needless to say I will not be supporting the companies which have caused this headache for me.

18. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I've got the node right next door but not connected till next month apparently, no clue what the speed will be because I live in units. I was hoping for at least 50/20 but Internode has changed the download speeds on all plans to 12mbps down :rolleyes:, not to fussed about downloads but I want good upload speed :mad:.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  19. caspian

caspian Member

units can be interesting. I looked at one yesterday where the campus is quite large, with the comms room at one very end the line length *past* the MDF is anything up to 400m. makes speed predictions quite difficult.

that Internode page is interesting. they are correct in that 12Mbps is the current assurance minimum regardless of what speed tier you buy, but I don't know where they got 5Mbps from?

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Will be very interesting where I live because it's 30 seconds from the shops and I think there's about 5 blocks of units / house unit things on the main street, not to mention the little cop shop on the other side of the node.

Just checked other ISP's, pretty much all of them now say "12Mbps download speed" while still offering fast uploads... very interesting, seems like the new national speed is 12Mbps :thumbup: :rolleyes:.