The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

I went to the Royal Show today and they had a stand for the NBN. I got some pamphlets.

NBN won't work during a power blackout.
    "Preparation is the key- consider having an alternate form of communication handy (such as a charged mobile phone)".

How can you charge a mobile phone IF YOU DON'T HAVE POWER?

2. clonex

clonex Member

Surely not that hard to have a charger in the car or mobile phone sized powerbank handy?

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

The powerbank you'd need to charge? The car you'd need petrol to drive if you didn't want to flatten the battery? Any sort of serious emergency situation, and nobody will be able to communicate.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

it's always been the same with POTS and mobiles too, the exchanges have batteries that only last so long, so eventually, NBN or mobile/landline phones will all not work just the same.

break out the campfile start puffing smoke or signal flags.

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Losing the NBN for a period of time will cause the Apocalypse ?

You could charge a mobile phone for a year on a car battery without ever starting the engine. Those mobile powerbanks I've never used, but I'd imagine you'd get at least a few charges from one.

6. gords

gords Oh deer!

:confused: Hence "a charged mobile phone".

No, only unprepared people will be.

What do you want? An indestructible, power-failure-resistant NBN? When natural disasters happen, entire communications systems go offline due to flooding, wind damage, fire etc. - that's just how it is.

As far as I'm concerned the appropriate solution is to make sure people are informed about their responsibilities and leave the decision to them. How prepared they want to be (ranging from "I couldn't care less" to "I couldn't care less because I've got my own genset") is up to them.

7. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

it's just typical "woah is me, i'm such a techno-phobe" broccoli. anyone else would just figure what needed to be done :)

8. Copie

Copie Member

Even FTTP needs power at the NTD and your router to operate in a blackout.

If your that worried about it dump it on a UPS, problem solved.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

You people have never had anything happen in your lives have you? You really don't understand how the rainbows and unicorns don't just keep dancing for you, constantly?

I'm not talking about the NBN going off-air, I'm talking about a situation where none of you will know whether your nanna is alive or dead and nobody can ring her up to find out..... Of course, if she's carked it because she couldn't summon help you can just include it in the eulogy how she was unprepared and deserved it. :lol:

10. caspian

caspian Member

doesn't always take a natural disaster either. http://www.standard.net.au/story/1138308/telstra-services-begin-to-recover-after-exchange-fire/

people can have whatever level of protection and redundancy they are prepared to pay for. the problem is that if it's going to be provided, then it has to be made available everywhere just in case someone wants it, and everyone then has to pay for it whether they want it or not.

Optus provided all of their "landline" phones via VoIP, which all went down in a local power outage. I don't think I've ever heard any howls of indignation over that, it was just accepted as normal.

my mother lives in a cyclone prone part of the country. she got cut over to FTTB NBN not too long ago, and I know the lifespan ratings on the node batteries very well. it's not worth putting in a UPS big enough to keep her router up until the node goes down anyway.

she's got a phone with about 7 days of standby if not played with needlessly, a tablet with about the same (which might be used a bit for news and weather reports if need be) and a battery bank which will charge the phone from dead flat three times over. given she lives in inner surburbia I reckon that's quite adequate to need.

broccoli, you are manufacturing a problem that does not exist with incredibly basic forward thought.

11. gords

gords Oh deer!

You certainly like to over-dramatise things, don't you?

Your point would be valid if the NBN hadn't taken great pains to let people know that there will be changes to their service once they move to the NBN. But they have - and it's up to people to decide what they want to do (for themselves, or for nanna, or whoever).

I'm not one of those "you were unprepared, you deserve it" type people, but you have to concede that things in life change, and that it's inevitable. This is one of those situations, and there's nothing you can do to stop the change, just to mitigate risks on your end.

Regarding nanna, just get a UPS for her router and phone (or a USB battery so she can charge her phone). On the off-chance that something goes wrong, it'll be another base covered.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  12. Copie

Copie Member

A mobile phone is perfectly adequate here combined with several decent sized battery packs. You can also get one of those alert bracelets as well which use the mobile network as a SOS.

If you really really want to be secure you can also have her carry a sat phone as well, along with a 477mhz UHF radio and 27mhz VHF radio.

Even the old network wasnt foolproof, if the exchange lost power and its UPS/genset went out the network died as well.

13. clonex

clonex Member

Get her a emergency bracelet or strap a heartbeat monitor onto her thats tethered to a wireless mobilephone/dongle hotspot. Then you can see granny mays heartrate 24/7.

Lot of storm emergency kits for households have 3000-10000mah battery banks now to charge ones mobilephone/ipod/ipad etc

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. caspian

caspian Member

don't forget the smoke signal fire and underground bunker in case of the apocalypse. and the end of the world insurance system.

https://youtu.be/BIfcMHpINKY?t=51s

15. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

LACK OF ACCEPTABLE BROADBAND SOLUTION: 1 IN 1

16. caspian

caspian Member

slitting your wrists does not really count.

17. power

power Member

because I'm lazy (and there don't appear to be any good answers), are there any providers (non-business) out there that offer a static IP? I've had one for ages and while I'm happy to get a new one I don't really want to bother with ddns unless I have to.

18. Copie

Copie Member

Sheesh lazy.

Most RSP's offer static either as standard or as an option.

AussieBB does for 10/month.

19. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

20. power

power Member

I am lazy - thanks for the info gents :)