The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

what would be interesting to know is if the ISP had availed themselves of much the same escalation path to resolve the issue.

2. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

NBN lookup shows: 'Planned availability: Jul-Sep 2017'.

However under the section: 'Where you stand within the nbn™ rollout' it shows 'Planned'.

The website seems completely clueless :(

3. caspian

caspian Member

it's important to bear in mind that RFS dates apply to the wider area (the SAM), not individual premises. premises *may* inherit the SAM RFS date, but not necessarily depending on circumstances.

4. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Inadvertently disconnected a PSTN service with one provider, because they told me there were no calls or anything on the service and it did nothing

(Customer had about 30 services with one provider, another 10 with another provider and then ADSL with a 3rd provider again, was consolidating)

Turns out this was the ADSL service. Which, despite the pstn provider and the adsl provider being essentially one and the same, they had no visibility over each other.

so the line got cancelled
    and of course, they can't reconnect the copper, because "NBN" (this is almost exactly what they said, "well because the nbn is there")
    Only to then come back and tell me "oh, that premises doesn't have nbn"

WTF, you told me I can't have copper because NBN, but then that I can't have NBN because NOTNBN ?

(This is an FTTN address anyway, so it's not like it got missed on the build)

It IS a bit of an odd one in that it doesn't specifically have a regular address (and thus no LocID) , but it has a PSTN service, so that should be all they need.. I've got another provider working on it for me though so hopefully it'll sort itself out quickly

5. caspian

caspian Member

NBN only have LOC IDs for the premises represented in the GNAF data they bought. if Telstra put a line in for a subaddress that doesn't have a GNAF entry, that's a problem. there's a process for getting a LOC ID created for that sort of issue, your NBN RSP has access to it. (whether they know it is another matter, and whether they CBF using it, another again.)

[edit] and yes, I am currently going through the hell of this process getting an in-law's granny flat sorted out with precisely this issue.

the reconnection issue will be due to cease-sale provisions, but I think the provider needs to do some catch-up reading. https://www.finder.com.au/finder-to-the-node-20170906

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. Athiril

Athiril Member

A while back I was living in Melb CBD and had FTTP, initially it was good, but then I was getting less than 1mbps. ISP got back to me, NBNCo kept saying it was fine and nothing was wrong.. it took months to get the issue sorted out iirc.. which was congestion, it still makes me angry thinking about NBNCo essentially saying nothing is wrong, congestion is fine (couldnt even open youtube). It was at the time unmetered netflix came in iirc.

To get it fixed, I had to make whirlpool complaints with other people in the building from the same ISP joining in and complaining to their different ISPs to get them to acknowledge the issue and do something about it.

One day there was a fibre truck out the front of the building. Didnt take them long, since then it was perfect, 99% of 100/40 speed, 2-3ms ping.

7. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Update from me again, had FTTN for 17 days, so far so good surprising, speed didn't dip until Monday when we had heavy rain and the water got in but aside from that it's been good. Going to upgrade to the 100/50 plan maybe soon to see how much speed we actually get.

Only thing that's been a problem was the phone, Telstra cut us off with no warning so it was a hassle to get the NodePhone but got that connected today after a week of not having a phone, have to wait and see how that goes as well.

So far I'm pretty happy with the speed, it's a massive improvement on what we had and the unlimited downloads is a god send, I've already used 622GB :D, I have noticed Steam doesn't use much of the speed, fasted I've seen is 10MB which is odd but whatever.

8. caspian

caspian Member

congestion is an RSP CVC issue. you need to carefully differentiate between concepts.

nothing a field team did fixed congestion. a physical fibre issue, yes.

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

That is the reason I had been given from memory.

It coincided with the Netflix thing, there'd also be a bit more speed but still poor very late night/early morning when there'd be less people on.

After the truck left the building had full bandwidth again.

10. caspian

caspian Member

what you are describing is not something fixable by any field activity. the two are unrelated.

11. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

my partner RSP is owkring on it for me, and they basiclly said that yes it can be done if it has a copper pair

12. Asako

Asako Member

Still haven't seen any pillars in my town. Talked to a few people. Nobody's seen anything but the big green nodes. Only two of them I am aware of. Gonna have some sucky cable lengths if that's really the case.

13. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, should be doable. there's a process of asking the RSP to supply details of how the new LOC gets broken out from the old one, they might ask for a shade-in on a map diagram or a photo etc. fairly normal sort of occurrence, granny flats and block subdivides are regular causes.

14. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

So not only was my FTTN meant to be active from early May I now see they are installing in the next suburb. Be nice for them to finish mine before starting the next lot.

15. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

Steam reports in Mega Bytes, not Mega bits.
    10MB/s is pretty much full speed.

16. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

Install booked for Monday.

Was able to get in touch with the contractor, lives in the area, didn't do any other installs in the estate, but has offered to have a look over the neighbors place.

Fingers crossed.

17. Sleepyz7z

Sleepyz7z Member

Anyone know how long the rollout map has shown whether someone has subscribed to an RSP?

18. caspian

caspian Member

I just tried a couple of addresses and got some variable results. not sure that it so much indicates active service, but that the premises is fully connected.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  19. callan

callan Member

In true NBN competency levels the rollout map lists my address as "planned fixed line". I've been connected for nearly 3months.

Better not tell them, aye!:lol:

Callan

20. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

17 December

I'm in Ashgrove, Brisbane.

After infrequent cancellations and changes in solution over the years we're due to 'go live' with HFC based service on 17 December 2017.

Currently with Optus Cable on the Speed Pack. Kinda dreading and looking forward at the same time.
    Very keen for the improved uploads but wary of the additional layer of complexity in the support model.