The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Wasn't actually bagging him for that part, I was questioning whether he was meant to do it or not... What I did bag him for was well deserved. Pretty slack of Telstra (in this case) to not actually connect *all* the hardware they supply for the client... Seriously, I think we forget that those on this forum are far more tech savvy than the average person, most people I know wouldn't know how to plug the power cable into the back of the modem...

Z...

2. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hahahahahahahaha, love it. No retard card required.

Cant wait to leave Telstra. ADSL 2+ has been pretty good. Very few tech calls required. But when I finally get NBN, going to need the good support.

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Shitty call centres aside, i wasn't able to find another ISP that was able to provide a plan as good as Telstra offered believe it or not.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You haven't found another ISP who is willing to promise you a better plan you mean? Have they actually provided it yet? If so, will it continue to work as promised in 6 months time? If it breaks, will they promptly fix it, hassle free?
    Best of Luck :(

5. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Ok thanks for confirming. Hopefully NBN find a fault on the line and can fix it. They are getting a bit too old to have to worry about their phone not working.

This is exactly why my parents are still with Telstra. They get a really good deal that other providers simply can't match which means a lot for pensioners.

6. iinsom

iinsom Member

Ive been with Telstra for 10+ years, i havnt had a problem with them (my connection has been down i think twice in that time, both times it wasnt their fault) so ive never had to call their tech support..

I think ill probably stay with them for NBN, and probably get a bundle with Foxtel.

7. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Is this specifically pointed at their customer service/knowledge?
    I'm just wondering what you think of their actual product. Cvc purchase amounts and general reliability with the service?

I was with them on adsl2 for years, no issues and better speeds than most people around me. I went with them for fttn and no issues and speeds expected for my distance from the node. But the congestion at peak times is annoying.

I always assumed, because they were the more expensive choice. Most people would go with dodo/tpg and their unlimited plans. So less traffic battling it out for me. But I don't know if that's how it works.

Is there anyone else you could suggest? If that's something you are able to check. I'm in Vic 3977.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. Copie

Copie Member

Havent looked very hard then.

And no way in the world i would touch telstra on NBN. The fact they only give you 2 tiers (25/5 and 100/40) in itself is pathetic.

9. Tinian

Tinian Member

The only reason I don't change to Telstra NBN is I get unlimited data at good rates for practically the same cost.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

I did some shopping around. And no, nothing better that i found. I've been on Bigpond Cable for the last few years. Telstra have been good to me. It never broke. So i see no reason to change ISPs.

Sure. But i pull about 3-400GB a month. And struggle to even do that. At the moment I'm on 100/40mbit with a 500GB monthly quota and my home phone for $80 a month. 3 top ups a year as needed. I was pretty keen on the Telstra Air idea as well. I couldn't find anyone else who offered that. Who else has something similar/better? I thought i looked pretty hard.

Unlimited data is good, but unless you are actually pulling a lot of data all the time, it shouldn't be a selling point

11. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah AussieBB is the same price (80/month for 100/40 500gb per month) but you arent locked into a contract and they offer a 30 day free trial.

Not to mention their customer and tech support is actually useful rather then the VOIP indian drones of telstra.

12. caspian

caspian Member

to a significant degree, yes.

I think Telstra have a network that is potentially at least the equivalent of any else out there, and in many cases, considerably better. I'm not in a position to comment about operational matters though, sorry.

congestion is utterly within the RSP's ability to manage. if you're unsatisfied with the service your ISP supplies, churn. that's advice I'd give to anyone, regardless of their current ISP.

I'm again restricted by my circumstances as to what comments I can make, but given Telstra are now quite competitive in terms of pricing, I don't think the automatic assumption of pay more = better is still the case as it may(?) have historically been. certainly there are budget providers out there that differentiate themselves in the market on the basis of price, but I'd suggest to anyone that value is a better measure of what you spend your money on. to me, value means not just price, but factors like:
    • congestion - I want the service to work when *I* want it to, and that includes peak hour.
    • reliability - does the damn thing break all the time?
    • support - do I need to scream at some offshore helpdesk that can't communicate in English if I do need to report an issue?
    on a personal basis, I'm happy to pay more than the cheapest offer in the market to get an enhanced level of value. the challenge then becomes determining that paying more will actually result in that outcome. for that, feedback from other users is probably the most valuable resource out there - how are other users in the area finding their service? something like Whirlpool is a good source for that day, just be prepared to screen the feedback you get to isolate the dross from the data.

unlimited very likely means swimming with the leeches, or paying a very premium price for a premium product.

if you need it, fine - but I'd again encourage people to be realistic about their needs. put your e-penis back into your pants and think about it before just lunging for the OMGMOREDATAZ plan. I just redid my home broadband plan because the old one I was on had some pretty hefty legacy pricing compared to current. I dropped the data allowance from 1TB to 500GB because we only use about 300G most months, and Bigpond gives several monthly over-usage unshapes per year in case I need it.

why am I using Bigpond? because it's a Velocity service so I only have the options of Telstra, Internode and Exetel. Internode's pricing and data allowance is worse, even though their support is better, and Exetel is leech's delight. until the NBN takes over the Velocity network, that's the best place for the moment for me.

guy.incogneto and fredhoon like this.
  13. kaine88

kaine88 Member

If you use the Whirlpool offer you get double data for 6 months too :)

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I pay $90 / month for 100/40 2tb plan and am yet to see speeds dip below 85/30.

They offer other tier plans which are cheaper for reduced download quota

15. ChickenSausage

ChickenSausage Member

TPG offers 12, 25, and 100mbit plans but no 50...guess I'll be shopping around. I like being on unlimited with TPG though.

16. Copie

Copie Member

And on that note happy to flick people a referral for aussiebb we get an additional free month access

kaine88 likes this.
  17. warrenr

warrenr Member

I've heard that the cable (coax) is getting ripped down? Is that the case or will I be moved back to copper? (suburb is 3149 if that makes a difference)

18. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Yesterday I received a letter from Ms L. Power, Assistant Director Broadband Implementation.

Ms Power states that a micro – node will be the preferred install for my street. But due to the high probability of flooding, they were awaiting a report from the local council's chief engineer.

I spoke with the chief engineer today. He confirmed that flooding is a problem.

Ms Power's and NBN Co. solution he said, was to put the node over the road and up the hill. That way the node will not flood, but let's not worry about the copper cable and pits.

The current copper pathway and run will result it the closest house being 750m away.

There is currently NO concrete slab or power supply in place for a micro-node.

What an absurd direction from NBN Co. especially considering there are two NBN fibre pits that "can be spliced into" to provide FTTH or FTTC according to the NBN Tech that visited.

I have literally been ripping what hair I have left out.

19. caspian

caspian Member

Telstra HFC is generally being reused. Optus HFC is being decommissioned. the public website will tell you what technology will be used for your location.

20. koopz

koopz Member

making to the choice to or not to not help "friends" is also a subject in itself I find.

NBN Fiber is clearly the project, just as PMG Copper was in Australia when I was an infant. This isn't the first roll-out.

No one here goes down to their local Pub or Milk bar to ring someone anymore