The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Low and behold, just now visited their NBN website address checker and I see this applied upon my address;

"nbn is committed to completing the rollout by 2020." Where did the November 2017 deadline suddenly disappear to?

Thank you Turdbull in delivering this so-called NBN to my address by the new date of 2020.....NOT.

Typical garbage strewn upon us here in this area and we are stuck with it. At least ADSL is still running until 2020 but according to the LNP, this might be the standard for all of us here forever more.

Truly the Lucky Country of 2Mb/s....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

At least we have the freedom to whinge about it. Some countries aren't so lucky :D

3. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

We're still waiting for our FTTP which, according to the old plan, began construction in June 2013. :D

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Do other countries have something to whinge about? Aren't we like the worst country in the world for internet?

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah, we have terrible internet compared to most of the developed world, and a lot of third world countries even.

Plenty of other countries have lots to whinge about though.. much more important things than the internet.. and don't have the freedom to whinge without getting in deep shit. If the internet is one of our larger complaints, and we get to whinge about it, that makes us pretty lucky in my book.

6. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Depends how you want to measure it. We're still above the global average when it comes both avg speed and peak speed.

So no we're nowhere near being the worst.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh sure, agreed 100%

8. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Truth be told, we are the WORST country when it comes to Internet availability but I suspect the luddites at LNP central would disagree here, since they still instill on counting the strings between steel cans as a valid communications system.

9. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

We slave at jobs, most of the time making some corporation or wealthy bastard wealthier while our own government taxes us to the point of desperation, all the while giving tax breaks and handouts to the wealthy as a result of some right wing idea of a 'trickle down effect' that failed. Wage growth has stagnated, Howard's idea of low interest rates (indicative of a really poor economy) has pushed personal debt to an all time high and we have a property market that's massively overinflated due to no fault of our own with utility bills that are out of this world due to the LNP's grand plan of privatization.

We paid for a network with our tax dollars and now we're being charged to the brink for the service we paid for so the government can make a profit as fast as possible.

Yes, there are people that have it worse than us, but I class lucky as democracy in civilized society, and this global right wing movement on the masses is not democracy. Furthermore, things are deteriorating and the gawd damn Internet is not exactly at the top of most families priorities right now.

So where people see a good deal in a so called lower tier provider (tiers that shouldn't exist), it would be appreciated if certain individuals could keep their cynicism and sarcasm to themselves.

For the record, i work for myself, I slave as much as I like so I'm in no way bitter as a result of my position in life. I simply see the reality of the situation and have empathy for fellow human beings. The way things are going, my 7yo daughter is going to have to fight her way in the most shithouse world imaginable, quite possibly with no home of her own. That's reality and that keeps me up at night.

My post is also not directly aimed at you Ratzz.

Back on topic.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

What is this mystery ISP? I, too, do not want to waste money!

11. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Hah, and yet when I mentioned the constant uphill battle I've experienced with some aspects of NBN in the infrastructure sector I was belittled and told I was nothing more than an armchair expert, despite the fact that I talk to the rollout managers and engineers on a weekly basis, of not daily.

Caspian is nothing short of a keyboard warrior standing guard over his beloved ferrari reciting shitty analogies whose proven time and time again his complete lack of maturity.

Look back through this thread, if you so much as hint at any negativity to NBN but need help with getting a connection you get a cold shoulder INSTANTLY.

Yes, he does a lot of good for some people here, but that doesnt make up for the complete lack of disrespect for other people voicing their own opinions or experiences.

It also seems to be highly unprofessional and unethical for an NBN employee to be criticizing an RSP on a public forum based off confidential NBN information that cannot be public knowledge, but caspian has done this many times.

As I've said before, while the NBN rollout system still has some obvious flaws and some major issues to iron out, they have infact increased in leaps and bounds from where they were a year ago. Even since January/February.

I've seen atleast 3 major changes in the design & construction process this year alone (Understand that I've yet to see a change in any other telecom provider through the last 2+ years).

What Caspian needs to understand is that us consulting engineers and contractors provide a lot of invaluable feedback which helps shape how NBN do things to improve the processes in place. I do talk quite regularly with some of the NBN engineers about the challenges with mixed technology rollout and the design challenges behind it, however what we usually find is that those confined to the lab lack the ability to see practicality (or lack-of) in some ideas thrown around as they dont get involved in the physical application & construction side of things, and just expect their box to be connected to the side of their house. #jobdone

But like I said earlier, I was dubbed as a mere armchair expert and told to go to whirlpool.

flu!d likes this.
  12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Well this is interesting:

But in Telstra's defence:

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

I haven't looked into this because it isn't available in my area, but after reading that article I've just looked up what that fttn and fttb mean.
    Isn't it obvious that no matter how wonderful this fibre is, if you connect it to existing old copper, it'll turn to crap? What am I not understanding here?

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

No, you've pretty much nailed it. The difference is simply that the length of copper is shorter, which improves speed. You now, in theory, have less copper to slow things down. That and the technology feeding the copper is vastly superior.

I'd guess that there are probably instances where the copper lines leading to a very nearby exchange may have even been potentially faster than FTTN because the fibre takes a different route to a node that is further away from the customer than the exchange, thereby making the copper longer from the node to the customer than it was from the exchange. I don't think they'd run new copper for that though, so something like fibre to a mini node or something might be deployed to meet the old copper at some point.

I'm no expert, that last paragraph is a guess.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

It's not that obvious or straight forward.
    https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/10/xg-fast-dsl-does-10gbps-over-telephone-lines/

Distance is the metric where fiber has the biggest real world advantage for home internet. Ultimately the NBN debate boils down to the choice of doing fibre all the way to the home now, (at greater time and up front cost), or phase it in gradually, (making copper runs shorter and shorter), over an unknown time frame.

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

I don't quite understand how it works. I can only say for myself though, that i was previously on Bigpond Ultimate cable and it delivered 100mbps down and 2mbps up. I did see very close to 100mbps down speed. I've now transitioned to NBN which is fiber to the node and then uses the cable infrastucture to my house (i think). I'm getting close to 100mbps down still and close to 40mbps up now. So i assume that the cable "copper" didn't need to go much further (if any). If somehow later on 1gbps speeds were offered, i wouldn't get more than what i am seeing now?

I assume that if you were using the phone copper, i.e. for ADSL - that the max speed could be a lot poorer if you used that same copper to your house for NBN. If you have fiber to the premises (or building) then the max would be a lot faster.

So congestion happens before the node or after? It would have to be before right?

17. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Believe it or not I am now getting spruiked by various RSP's looking to nab me into their NBN services.

Yet on the NBN website and Telstra told me that I have no NBN connections or that I will ever get anything this year.

So what's happening here, have I lapsed into a 'parrallel universe' where my place, officially has access to NBN or are the current RSP's playing some sort of sick game? Have no idea why the official NBN Co., still deny me anything yet some RSP's are saying I can get it now?

18. Copie

Copie Member

They are just wanting you to pre order with them.

I wouldnt bother, wait until you are live then worry about it. Its handy with your first RSP to get someone that actually knows whats going on incase they need to argue with NBNco to get it connected.

19. caspian

caspian Member

apparently they were selling services with no effort made to use the service qualification tools that provide guidance as to what speed tiers could be supported. that's far from unique to Telstra, going off feedback other people have given me here.

that is HFC cable.

FTTN uses the twisted pair copper phone line to your premises, not the old HFC cable. your line is just short enough and in good enough condition to support 100/40 sync.

in FTTN context, congestion is not a factor of the NBN network. ever. the nodes and upstream infrastructure have more bandwidth than is needed to support demand, and can be expanded (considerably) further if needed.

congestion is solely, singly, 100%, no other factors to consider, a function of the ISP not buying enough CVC capacity to support peak demand. that is totally within their ability to control, and if they stopped trying to sell NBN delivered services at the price of decade+ old ADSL, they would be able to resource their CVC adequately. at the same time, Joe Consumer needs to accept that a better service costs more to deliver, and stop expecting pricing to be equivalent to legacy technology.

20. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Fixed that for ya. ;)

See how you just cannot control the cynicism in your posts - It's all the fault of the tight ass consumer daring to shop for a service they can actually afford, while being forced onto an alternate network they paid for.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017