The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

Ratzz has some pretty unique circumstances, if anyone is interested by all means read. in the meantime, 40,000 services get successfully activated every week. I think I'll count chickens.

2. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Damn, always giving hope to those who need it most, love this place :upset: . It's beginning to be more like Whirlpool every day, the never ending misery and constant waiting for this NBN service.

My ISP has never lied to me before, so this would indeed be a real kicker if no one turns up on the 23rd. Just can't understand the subterfuge that's going on, if they did say they'll come and decide not to :confused: .

3. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

I'm hoping to be part of that 40'000 on the 23rd :D .

4. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

We've been pushed out again from H1 2018 to late 2018, (HFC).

This is third time the estimate has been pushed out for our SA since being classified as HFC. Bordering SA's have been cutover all around us and I'm starting to wonder if it's due to the relatively higher amount of MDU's we have.

Need a getting nervous emoji.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

my place was on the three month plan before the change in government, then it was pushed back, then changed from FTTP to FTTN, then pushed back some more, now it's been pushed out again to late 2018, and FTTC.

I gave up waiting, fixed wireless through someone else.
    [​IMG]
    20/10 constantly speed tests above that.

much better than the crummy ADSL1, at somewhere like 5/.3 and constant drop outs when it rained.

6. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

The Signal Co?

I was hoping that I could get a similar service where I am, but no such luck.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

yes, I'm essentially right under one of the towers, and LOS to two separate ones. spoiled for choice.

8. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Anyone else from the 2209 area of Sydney?

We got a letterbox drop from Telstra promoting their NBN plans and I've also seen NBN techs poking around in our street.

We're supposed to get HFC but our house is not connected to either HFC network currently (we have Telstra & Optus in our area).

Our driveway is VERY long and bumpy - something like ~50-60m and we have a major root problem due to our neighbour's camphor laurel trees :( We're also a battleaxe block...

Do we have any hope in getting a decent HFC connection or will they take a look at our driveway/property and give up?

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Certainly hope not. I need a 62m stretch of concrete driveway dug up to get mine connected, they claim they'll be doing it. Eventually. Ours is effectively a battleaxe too.

10. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Ok, that's reassuring :D I'd hate to get FTTN or fibre to the curb or some other thing that isn't full HFC all the way. I don't trust the copper up our driveway one bit...

They could probably run it alongside the driveway in our case, it'd just be a pain due to the aforementioned roots.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

No wonder they are having cost blowouts. Do they put it back after they've dug it up, or do they leave that for you to do?

12. caspian

caspian Member

HFCdp is coming for just those sorts of circumstances.

13. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

Had brother from post quoted, (after speaking to the old ISP who couldn't help him) lodge a request with nbn to get a LOCID created. He provided Name, address, lands title number etc. They wanted all this extra info
    • The name of the estate your lot is inside,
    • The stage number inside this estate, and
    • If your developer correctly lodged applications with nbn for your address
    He ended up talking to a friend who works for nbn. He said send a copy of a power bill and he'll get it done. Next day LOCID created. We waited a few days (over the weekend) checked ISP site and it now shows as available.
    So spoke to new ISP this morning, they lodge job to get PCD and NTD installed. This AFTERNOON! an nbn contractor rocks up to do a preliminary check. That has to be some kind of record!
    The guy rods the conduit from house to pit in the street and confirms location of PCD. The install will happen on the 27th Nov.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

If they, the NBN Co, installed a glass fiber cable under my drive way and left a considerable mess, I would indeed re-pave that drive way and be grateful that I now have an actual glass fiber connection to my abode.

The only thing that would piss me off to no ends, if they dug up my driveway to install Copper, that would cause me to go postal on those MTM-tards immediately.

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I would be willing to do it myself just to get up and running, but no, its down to them. They dig it up, they fix it. Eventually. It's HFC, if it was copper I would be hitting someone.

16. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Well, it kinda IS copper, just not UTP :p

17. Asako

Asako Member

NBN connected today. Old ADSL dropped out just after midday, I left it an hour, plugged in new modem and VDSL was up and fine.

Old net

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(I am over 300km from Melb, but POP shows it there I guess).

Plenty happy it went without a hitch. Now just to see how peak CVC and all that is.

18. hvalac

hvalac Member

Hey Caspian, i'm wondering something.

Today I decided to transfer my service from one nbn provider (skymesh to Aussiebroadband), however once I completed my details and the transfer started my internet has been dc'd for up to 2 days (I assume working days). Why is this the case?

I've churned whilst on adsl and it's quite harmless, isp gets details from another isp then one service goes down the other goes up, input new isp details into modem and win but this new route with the NBN seems quite unproductive having a client offline during the entire churning process.

Do you have any idea why they are doing it this way?

19. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Had to google that one. Holy batman!

20. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

What is HFCdp?