The IBM Model M Owners Club

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by kramer, Dec 30, 2006.

1. wellonchompy

wellonchompy Member

I'd love an M. I just bought myself Das Keyboard, which has buckling-spring, and weighs about a ton. It's not quite a model M, though. Anyone know a good (read: reputable) local source for them? Ideally I'd love one with USB support, but PS/2 will do.

2. OP
    OP
    kramer

kramer Member

i've got spares if you want one.....or need keycaps...

3. Naru

Naru (Banned or Deleted)

I didnt know we had a club like this. I have one! Ove rhte years I've used many different types of keyboards includinghte Honywell which I somehow managed to destroy by jamming it under a computer case. I always go back to the IBM M though. The other day my niece who is exclusively a laptop user, hopped on my desktop and commented that she liked the keyboard. haha

4. barese

barese Member

Bought one off eBay from the US of A, wasn't all that expensive, but the freight was, more than the keyboard itself.

It is 1391401 built on the 6 May 1991.. :thumbup:

5. khangu

khangu Member

How much was the keyboard and how much was the postage?

And where from?

Did you buy it fom here?

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

I have one but have stopped using because the rubber on the cable have broke apart exposing the wires beneath. It still works, but looks quite messy.

Wanted to buy another one, a mint one but it's quite expensive.

6. barese

barese Member

Nah, I bought it off eBay. The seller was in the USA. He had received a consignment of Model M's from a 'government agency' and he refurbishes them and sells them on eBay.

The keyboard cost around $40, but the postage was like $47. That was in USD so it ended up being just over $100 AUD all up. Was a little steep, but I haven't used one of these keyboards in years and I really enjoy using it.

The postage took a while as well, because he sent it the Friday before last (their time, Saturday here) and I didn't get it until today. So it took just over 2 weeks from buying it until receiving it. It was well worth the wait though, because these are becoming rarer than hens teeth.

Why don't they make any new keyboards with buckle springs anymore?!

7. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Bump :D

Recently gave my Bluetooth Dell Keyboard the flick and went back to this grand-daddy, and I don't know WHY on earth I put this thing in the cupboard!

The review on the new Das by Agg has got me interested in an upgrade from one clicky keyboard to another; it would be handy to have a Windows-key AND clicky-keys!!

8. OP
    OP
    kramer

kramer Member

heh this thread could never die! i still use mine at home even for gaming:thumbup:

click click clack!

anybody got a spacesaver model m for me ?

9. itachi46

itachi46 Member

man i wish i could still get these keyboards :(

probably going to settle with buying a steelseries 6gv2

10. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

brought one of these the other day off these forums to see what all the fuss was about. Been using a razer tarantula the last 5 years, really enjoyed it but the last few months key presses have felt a bit dull and sticky (needs a clean I think).

Anyway, after spending 20 minutes on the M I wont be going back the the razer, hanging onto this thing until it is dead from too much use :).

made in the USA
    28/11/1990

It's in really good condition too, no key wear or anything. I think the guy that owned it before the selling (who didn't like it) cleaned it properly so it feels like I'm typing on a new one :).

11. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Still got my Lexmark copy... it's sitting on the floor until I can be bothered to get a USB/PS2 converter. Will NEVER part with it!

12. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

Can I join?

DOB 26 Oct 1990

13. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Holy thread revival!

2 posts above I posted that I had a Lexmark-built Model M ... sadly, that Model M was turfed by others who did not believe it's true value, and it made it's way to landfill :(

After much searching, I came across another Lexmark Model M, but the cord had been cut - still got it, resides under the desk.

Last week whilst out digging through the kerb-side collection in a slightly classier area, I stumbled upon this bad boy!!

All original 04-11-86 1390120 Model M, silver logo with no status lights. F5 cap was missing, but I've pinched the cap off the spare keyboard under the desk - on the hunt for a full set of period-correct caps now.

Edit: Excuse the grot/mess, in the process of cleaning it now that I've seen how bad it is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  14. OP
    OP
    kramer

kramer Member

Very nice..Im still using my model m! Will post pics sometime.. all black keys on it.. Regret throwing out my 10 + keyboard collection:rolleyes:

15. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Sooooo envious

[​IMG]

16. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Wait, what? I know www.clickykeyboards.com buy them if they're in good condition!

17. OP
    OP
    kramer

kramer Member

Seems my model m has given up the ghost.. anyone got a spare kicking around? Space saver would be nice!

18. ReKleSS

ReKleSS Member

Any idea what's wrong with it? I've got one that sometimes registers double keypresses.

19. OP
    OP
    kramer

kramer Member

Keys were failing more and more. Became unusable. Now it does nothing..

20. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I've got one. I've heard you can actually split a watermelon with one.