The IBM Model M Owners Club

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by kramer, Dec 30, 2006.

1. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

For anyone cashed up, there is a Model F and an SSK up on ebay.
    The opening bids are $100 and $200 respectively.
    Not mine (I sure as shit wouldn't be selling them if they were) and no way affiliated with the seller.

2. mr626

mr626 Member

I've never transported one, for storage I just wrap in bubble wrap and keep in a plastic tub.

Good to find some local, a bit rich for me though. Would love a SSK one day.

3. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

More IBM's on the Fleas:
    A bit sad model M, cut cable and missing 2 caps, looks like a Lexmark model, 9hrs left $55 opening bid and no takers yet. Try and snipe that one :thumbup:
    Wow, even a model F!

4. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Nice. Thats pretty cool, I wouldnt mind looking into the model M game at some point. I am guessing modding them with keycaps and cables etc is a massive no no. Even for a junker rescue?

5. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Keycaps pretty much only have two options Unicomp and Clickykeyboards.

I think the less 'rare' a keyboard is worldwide the less issue there is about modding them and as there were some 100's of thousands Model M's manufactured more tend to be customised. Check out what Phosphorglow does for example.
    Like anything vintage, there is varied opinion and some quite vocal.

I would also say the more 'junker' it is, the more free reign one has in modding: case modding, keycap swapping, controller conversion to usb, etc. The only problem here in Oz is the general rarity of supply; the States is a different story.

6. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Jesus F*in christ... now youve all done it. Spent the last hour learning about M's...

I need a SSK in my life...

Just when I thought I could go 2 seconds without an obsession, the hunt for M is on...

7. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Bwahaha!
    The rabbit hole deepens.
    Go down a bit further: beam springs.
    Just to tip you over the edge: Alps blue switches.

8. elfoam

elfoam Member

Lol there was a good one on ebay Australia a couple weeks ago, sold for about $110. The good thing about them is you only need one and it'll last your entire life time and probably your sons too. Mine is a 1987 model and I've been using it since I got it in 1998?, still perfect, still better than any keyboard in the market today and easily. Edit: Just looked on ebay and there's a few on there right now, buy now. End your suffering. I don't feel so well after watching a youtube about Model F keyboards because I threw one out not long ago (because AT plug) which I had has for years :p

PS, worth watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-vRZth7SI

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  9. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Ripe for refurbishment

Look for ebay item number: 302351563719

10. ChiefBoss

ChiefBoss Member

Derp... Wrong thread.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  11. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Yep, I'm hoping all it needs is a new cable. The F-keycaps missing doesn't bother me much, I don't really use 'em. I'm also hoping I'll just be able to nick one from another old/dead crappy ps/2 keyboard. Hooray for Model M #2, I'll be taking this one to work as I'm doing a shitload more typing/Excel etc. now. :)

12. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Time for a thread bump, it has been a while.

2 years ago I purchased a Unicomp cable to replace the non-detachable cable in my 1391401, but alas it did not work. Also tried to reuse the cut stub left on the keyboard, and wired in a chopped up cable from another peasantry rubber-dome cheapy keyboard I found in the bin, and the status lights lit up but nothing worked. Ripped apart my mint-cond almost-NIB spare and tested the dead unit with the cable from it and it worked first pop, so the keyboard works.

Now that I am back at a daytime desk job, and have been given the verbal approval to bring in my own keyboard (these nutters obviously have never heard the glorious and harmonious sounds of a Model M), I wish to resurrect this keyboard in limbo.

Anyone know where else I can find a replacement?

13. suzley

suzley Member

Do you live in Sydney?

14. suzley

suzley Member

I have three spares.

15. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

I am in Perth - do you have 3 spare complete keyboards, or the cables? Happy to pay for post for a cable or two!

16. suzley

suzley Member

I have three complete keyboards. I cleaned them all up and they didn't seem to work as well after that! I will check and get back to you. From memory, one has a detachable cord. I use this one and have to have a special adaptor to fit it to the computer. I would be happy to send you one for cost of postage.

17. suzley

suzley Member

Checked them out. Will send you one with removable cable. Part No 1391401, ID 3611804, 11.08.88, J1 Model M, USA.
    Substituted keys: Control, Alt, left arrow. If you are interested can you PM me, please?

18. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Message sent. Got a dead one with a hardwired cable? Would hate to sacrifice a working keyboard for its cable and parts.

19. suzley

suzley Member

Up to you. Would be easier just to send cable, but your decision.

20. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Ok, I'll take the 1391401, can use my busted keyboard as the parts goat to get the one you have working A1. Message sitting in your inbox :)