The Importance of Colour Scheme.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shiwen, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Shiwen

Shiwen Member

How much effort do you guys put into getting a great looking colour scheme going with your computer builds?

I'm planning to build a new pc in the next few months.
    I've got a list of parts I've decided on getting.
    And I'll be buying a Lian Li case with a side window, so obviously it has to look nice inside.

I planned on getting these parts:

Gigabyte EX58 UD4P
    [​IMG]

6G Kit DDR3 2000 G.Skill-Trident
    [​IMG]

1GB GTX 285 Inno3D
    [​IMG]

Noctua NH-U12P 1366 Special Edition
    [​IMG]

As you can probably tell, all the parts were picked according to their performance, and no thought whatsoever to how well the colours go together in a case.

So what do you guys suggest?
    Does it really matter that much that it's going to be a rainbow in my pc?
    Or do I search around for equally performing parts with colour in mind?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. Shadow_n

Shadow_n Member

Other than the motherboard, and i guess cpu cooler fans, i didnt really see the colours int he case. :)

So mainly just blue for you (and poo brown :p)

I pick parts via performance also, and if i cant decide between 2 things, which ever one looks cooler. :)

Lighting and other such will decide the colou scheme predominetly.

3. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

I try to match my mobo with the GPU. I hate having a black or blue mobo and a green GPU board. Having said that, i failed matching the black PCB of my DFI mobo and ended up with a blue Gigabyte GTX260+

4. Hicksinator

Hicksinator Member

I don't mind too much about the colours inside my computer, however, I was concerned at one point about the terrible colours of the Noctua fans.

If that's your main concern, a pair of CCFL's (Blue) will drown out the colour of the noctua's fan.

5. Terminatus

Terminatus New Member

You could always change the fans to something that looks more pleasing, or if you dont want to loose the performace of those fans, paint them blue or black to match the rest of your gear.

CCFLs and your choice of cabling should fill out the rest of the color scheme nicely.

6. Sup2a

Sup2a Member

the eVGA boards look great in black and have the performance to match, Id colour match my parts if I had the money for a new build :thumbdn: Id consider an EVGA board if you really want t colour match

7. broox

broox Member

i like to get the whackiest multi colour parts so when noobs look in there they don't know what to look at cos it's so blingin.

either that or i go all one colour scheme ... but i've never done that :p

8. karltron

karltron Member

After you put the case panels on who is going to see your parts?

If you have a window, flood it with a colored CCFL and again no one will see your mismatched parts :)

9. ruro

ruro Member

I matched my motherboard, gpu, memory, and watercooling tubing. It looks really cool, but I don't think it is really necessary unless you stare at the inside of your computer all day.

10. promiscuousboy

promiscuousboy Member

I don't think it's important, just buy what you need for performance, however my new rig came out pretty color coordinated without my intention :lol: I guess a lot of things are blue these days.

[​IMG]

11. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

I've tried to match my parts to a theme, but so far its kinda all over the place, but ive mainly got them to be dark brown-black pcb's so its better than nothing :thumbup:

Cold Cathodes or a LED strip will change all that too.

12. Razor540

Razor540 Member

I am not a big fan of Gigabyte because of mainboard coloring; very taiwanese approach to modding imho. ASUS and MSI do a better job on some motherboards in this regard. If you do want a window and pleasing aesthetics, this may not be an ideal combination but beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

13. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

I'm a fan of Asus mobo's, due to the black PCB normally used. But when I upgraded my mobo due to getting a 940, and all I could get was a dicky Gigabyte with their techno coloured mobo :( Seriously, why have the ram slots yellow and red, the PCI slots white,one PCIe light blue, the other orange, and the sata ports yellow on a blue PCB!!! I would've had black sata ports (to blend with the mobo), and the PCIe slots would be the same colour as the PCI slots. But anyway..... :rolleyes:

I'm trying to colour match with the rest of the case i.e black internals = black mobo pcb, black or red GPU PCB and cards. Green CCFL's with green sleeved fan and sata cables. Murdermod black sleeved PSU cables :thumbup: I've just gotta find a mobo to replace this one that IS black :(

EDIT: By the way, I hate DFI mobo's!!!! All that stupid fluro shit everywhere..... :lol:

14. aeolas

aeolas Member

Hi :)

What i think is that it really doesn't matter which parts collors you are going to choose because finally you are going to have lights in your case to light up the parts you want to lighten and that is what you are going to show. Like the CPU cooler, i am sure u want to light that up right so it will be a nice massive thing to see in the case. I have a noctua fan at the back of my case and i put a black roster on it, and green light. you hardley see its a Noctua.
    And on some parts if they color is different, that is nice also because it has an accent that gives in your case.

check my RiG how i played with lights. Maybe it give an idea what i try to tell.
    Its almost finished i think.

[​IMG]

15. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

It wouldn't take much work to get things colour co-ordinated if that's what you really wanted.

Instead of the G.Skill RAM, check out the Patriot range which come with some nice blue heatsinks.
    1600MHz - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538&products_id=8716
    2000MHz - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538&products_id=11715

Stick a couple of Scythe Kaze fans on the U12P
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_247&products_id=3489

Add to it all, a set of CCFL lights
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_5&products_id=510

Then you're pretty much set.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Sup2a

Sup2a Member

Sure its not that important but if your strongly into modding and beautiful lookin' stuff (like i am) I find its fairly important, I cant stand looking at my Pc now... red PCB motherboard, blue PCB graphics card, black cooler and no side panels for ventilation... it aweful... take a look at one of the murderboxes http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2009/murderbox/009/murderbox.htm best colour coordination ive ever seen... Just dont go as far as this guy did with his colour... http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=94275&page=7

17. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

Black and blue all the way i would pay more for a black mobo just because they look so win.

18. aeolas

aeolas Member

That is a very nice clean case :D i like it. Murderboxes

19. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

The only thing I don't like about it, is having those cables going over the res. It would look a LOT better with them tucked under it. But that's just me :)

20. aeolas

aeolas Member

its just taste right :) for him he want to show the nice sleeving and that it curls nice around it.