The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by KANNIS, Jul 17, 2011.

1. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I'm going to have a heart attack seriously someone help me with a quick and easy fix so I can use my iphone and call 000 for an ambulance.

This is what it says when I try to restore.

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)

2. ply-boi

ply-boi Member

have u put it in DFU mode to restore ?

3. danyell

danyell Member

are you trying to restore to an old iOS version, say older than 4.21? that could be the issue. i had the same thing and googled a bit, that was my problem, trying to restore a JB'n 4.1 iphone 4, just got stuck on that screen.

this thread (elsewhere) has lots of help in it

my experience required Tiny Umbrella, from memory. read on but don't panic, your phone isn't f'd.

4. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I have tried everything suggested on google, nothing has worked. itunes picked up on it and does the whole restore process and right at the end it brings this error up.

I tried Tiny umbrella it downloaded some zip file with 2 files inside it which do not work when unzipped. I tried another one which said this error

No JVM could be found on your computer
    Please define EXE4j_JAVA_HOME

5. danyell

danyell Member

Mate grab sun java jre and reinstall it, then try again

6. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I got tiny umbrella working What should I do now? I tried doing the recomendations on that link but it doesnt work.

I cant find a compatible firmware after I press SHIFT while in itunes. It keeps saying its not compatible...:confused:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I managed to fix it, but now its stuck on the EMERGENCY CALL ONLY MODE

What did you do to fix it from the emergency only screen?

8. danyell

danyell Member

I didn't have that same problem, sorry... When it recovered, it booted as normal.

9. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Looks like no one has a clue...Even on google everyone has a method yet nothing works....I have to find a iphone guru lol..

10. argus

argus Member

If it's on emergency call only I think all you need to do is put in a valid sim and connect to itunes so it can activate.
    If you have used tiny umbrella you might have to check/uncheck a couple of options so you can get through to the apple server again. I think the latest version comes up with a warning about this when you start up or shut down?

Edit: If you have trouble activating, open Tiny Umbrella and on the advanced tab UN-Check "Set HOSTS to Cydia on Exit" then exit, restart pc and try again.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  11. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Can you give some more information - what type of iPhone, what firmware are you restoring, what version of iTunes, what Operating System (Windows/Mac)?

If it's stuck on emergency calls only then it's not activated yet.

12. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

The Phone is a 3GS 16g

I got it off my brother as he is using the new iphone he had it jailbroken.

I got home tried to do a restore and it gave me the error above. (1015)

So I tried numerous suggestions on-line nothing worked then I found a video on youtube which combined this restore file iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw with tiny umbrella and I managed to get it into the emergency screen.

Then I unfortunately tried to restore via itunes and it went right back into the problem I had before the emergency screen dissapeared. Now when I hit shift and restore then select the iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw file it gives me a new error (20) instead of (1015) so I can not repeat the process and get back into the emergency screen..

Unbelievable, why can you just have a switch which sets it back to factory without going through hell..:thumbdn:

13. argus

argus Member

OpenTiny Umbrella and on the advanced tab UN-Check "Set HOSTS to Cydia on Exit" then exit, restart pc.

When it restarts open itunes and do a restore to the latest firmware (4.3.4)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  14. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

It has had the iPad baseband installed on it for the jailbreak your brother put on there. I'm at lunch, will post up how to fix it when I get back, it is a many step process to get it back from there

15. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Ill give this a shot now. And let you know. I remember doing this before.

Mate I will eagerly await your write up. Nothing seems to be working...

If I can at least get back to the emergency screen I think I can jailbreak it from there...

16. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Just to quickly explain why this is happening. To unlock an iphone there needs to be an exploit in the modems baseband of the phone, apple keep fixing the exploits found, but there is one in a version of the ipad baseband version 06.15.00 which can be put onto 3g and 3gs iPhones to allow them to be unlocked, that is what your brother has done here. Once you do this you cannot restore the firmware in iTunes normally ever again.

Assuming you have windows, I don't have the exact programs and procedures for the mac, but you may be able to figure them out from these instructions

What you need to get is -
    snowbreeze and ireb, from here - http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow
    copy of your iphone restore ipsw file, find it on your pc in one of the iTunes folders or get it here - http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-1009.20110503.M73Yr/iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw
    redsnow - https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc16.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

First run snowbreeze, point it to your ipsw file, and then run the baseband preservation mode. By the end you should have a custom restore file that has the baseband removed from it.

Then run ireb to put your iPhone in a special recovery mode. you need to put it into DFU, this program sees that and then reboots it into another DFU mode to allow iTunes to restore to a custom ipsw

Now you can use iTunes to restore to this custom ipsw file, it will find your iPhone in recovery mode, hold shift when you click the restore button and iTunes will then ask you for the ipsw file, choose the custom one you created in snowbreeze.

That should fully restore your iPhone back to nearly normal, it will still have the iPad baseband on there that you cannot remove. If you want to further jailbreak and unlock your phone, run redsnow and choose the original ipsw file not the custom one you created, and have it install cydia. in cydia, install ultrasnow and let it reboot, now it is fully unlocked.

17. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Oh Mate, thank you so much for this. When I get home tonight I will do this step by step...:thumbup: Let you know how it goes...

18. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Hey mate, I did everything you said step by step and itunes gave me this error...Unknown error occurred (3194)

what do you think?

19. argent

argent Member

My old Iphone 3G refused to restore as well and I tried everything I could find on the net. In the end, I tried restoring it from my old G4 powerbook instead and lo and behold.. it worked!

20. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Doesn't this address your OP :p

I had similar experiences when i was JB-ong my iPhone4. In the end i found success from a guide on YouTube walking through an ios 4.2(?) firmware customisation. I had to use TinyUmbrella to get the firmware installed using iTunes. Did you use TinyUmbrella with dakiller's instructions?