The Last Great AGP Mobo

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by FuzzyKaos, Oct 2, 2006.

1. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

What was the last great AGP motherboard, i think ill upgrade my system on the cheap to suit my video card.

Means i only need to upgrade my mobo and cpu, sounds like a cheap upgrade to me!

2. MrRevhead

MrRevhead Member

Best buys in terms of overclocking & features:

- DFI NF3 Ultra D
    - MSI K8N NEO 2
    - ASROCK Dual Sata 2 (PCIe & AGP)

All are known to hit 300FSB and over :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I'd say that the last truly "great" AGP mainboard was Abit's NF7-S v2.0 (socket A). None of the Nforce3 boards or the 939Dual-SATA2 really got that reputation for being the best board available in pretty much every way.

The three listed above were all very decent Nforce3 boards. The DFI one was hard to set up (as always with DFI boards), but of course it overclocked well. MSI's board had some reliability issues but was generally a very solid all-round board (and pretty cheap too). The Asrock board was popular mostly because it can take AGP and PCIe, and AM2 CPUs when Asrock finally get around to releasing the upgrade card.

4. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

sell ur cpu, mobo and 7800gs

get a cheap a64 pci-e system and wak in a 7900GS

5. gamb[it]

gamb[it] New Member

This would have to be the best upgrade you could make.

AXP 3200's go for crazy prices on e-bay and your 7800 will probably sell for more than you can get a 7900 for (since yours is agp).

An upgrade to a cheap a64 and pci-e system would hardly cost you anything.

6. wanarace

wanarace Member

I'm in the same boat so I just ordered a GA-K8NSC-939 for my 7800GS.

7. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

3200+ venice = $100ish

DFI nf4-d 939 pci-e mobo = $130

7900GS palit = $280

total $510

you will get atleast $300 for ur 7800GS
    and $100ish for cpu/mobo 2gether

cost you $110 to upgrade

8. Ekin

Ekin Member

I think the Asus A8V deluxe was a great package.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Last great board that was an instant hit was Abit NF7-S, no other board has really come close in terms of hype. Of course other boards have superseeded it now but NF7-S was the the shitzor.

10. TMM

TMM Member

MSI K8N Neo2 tbh (Mine did/does 360HTT) :D... could be hard to find now though as they were discontinued about 6 months ago...
    As far as overclocking goes, the Asrock DualSata isn't as good, but i'd probably get that because of the upgradability options (PCI-e mainly)

The A8V had a really high failure rate iirc...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  11. Nong23

Nong23 Member

I couldn't agree more, I own that board and still use it today. Soundstorm, SATA, AGP, overclocks amazingly, stable, firewire, lan decent layout - for its time for $180 bucks who could ask for more?! :)

Top call.

12. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

AN7 was a little bit better :)

13. SLATYE

I got it for $135 - even better (and I've still got it too). The only thing which I really would have liked to see was better cooling. A heatsink on the southbridge and passive cooling on the northbridge would be ideal.

As above, the AN7 was marginally better once Abit fixed all the problems with it - but it arrived too late and therefore never became a "great" board like the NF7-S did. I remember that there was a time when I had a post made up of about twenty quotes (all saying "get the NF7-S") which I'd paste into any thread asking which mainboard to buy. It certainly made recommending a mainboard very simple.

14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

you're all wrong :D
    the last great AGP mobo was the Asus P4C800-e. Superb clocker, brilliantly quick and if you were patient enough to get the -e (not the original) you got CSA gigabit lan as well.

We had so many problems with the Abit boards it just wasnt funny. A disturbingly high proportion of them "just stopped posting" one day. Probably because all the cheapo kiddie clockers who couldn't afford northwood bought em and wrung them out to 0.001 micron away from death :leet:

15. TMM

TMM Member

Its a great board indeed, just lacks a few overclocking niceties like being able to give your cpu 1.9v without any mods ;)

16. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Nothing like the venerable NF7-S Ver2.0, especially when you pair it up with an XP-Mobile. I can't bear to part with it!

17. Spec83

Spec83 Member

I run an Abit NF8 - Does over 300 fsb without trouble with plenty of cpu voltage adjustment but not much dimm voltage adjustment... has been rock solid and is a very well layed out board for ~$100... got my s754 3000+ to 2468MHz atm :) Temp snensor is right on too when compard with the amd cpu temp utility that is floating around :)

18. Sootymooty

Sootymooty Member

Any socket 939 MB would be good about now. They are cheap and with 939 CPU prices as they are now....it won't last for long!

19. OP
    OP
    FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Thanks for all your contributions, its a hard decision for me to sell all my gear, as its all just so darn pretty, the video card looks mean, my cpu cooler is totally naff.

And mostly of all, its done its job well, ie, i can overclock my cpu to over 2500Mhz (2200 is its stock) run half life 2 with the FakeFactory Cinematic Mod 3.0 at 1680x1050 with all detail on high, with no slowdown. But thats when i overclock everything to its max, on stock it just cant keep up :(

Hard decision, do i keep this and start to suffer in 6 months, upgrade the mobo and cpu, keeping the ram and suffer in 1 year.

In a years time is when i really want to do a total upgrade as by then Vista will be out and video cards will support dx10.

Do any of these motherboards support the newer amd chips?

20. SLATYE

If you buy S939 (so you can keep the DDR400 RAM) then no, the board will not work with newer CPUs.

If you buy AM2 (upgrading to DDR-2 at the same time) then the board will support newer CPUs.