The Last of Us Part II

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Dec 4, 2016.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This is what I consider "Hollywood fairy tale" expectations.

People who murder each other's friends and family don't suddenly gain enlightenment, put aside their differences and "happily ever after all the things".

Things like this turn into multi generational war, endless tribal grudges, and all the worst of human behaviour. And again, I genuinely think this story exists not to bring us warm and fuzzies, but to stand as a warning that there's no way out of these sorts of dark spirals other than to not let them consume us in the first place.

I know a lot of folks don't like the "Misery Simulator 3000" aspect of this game. But I tire of movies and TV shows that push childish, neatly wrapped up stories on us. If it takes video games to deliver a more mature story that tackles the realities of these sorts of decisions, I feel there's some real good that can come of that (if not with a little irony sprinkled on top, given how many people even today still think video games are only for kids).

The first game finished on an uncomfortable note. The second on a miserable note. I don't feel like it needs a third, but even worse than an unnecessary sequel would be one with a "happily ever after" ending.

Oh I want to. But SO MANY PROJECTS. Add it to the retirement list.

power likes this.
  2. connico

connico Member

Oh mate dont get me started on that mate... the food issue is another one... and health of everyone... yeah nah.

power likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Just the fact they are in Chicago and every building isn't completely rotted out.

I watch enough urban exploration videos to know that most of the buildings we enter in the game would not look the way they do - but it's a vidya game.

4. connico

connico Member

Exactly, the issues for this game for me was the story. I can forgive the world environment and setting because without one we don't have a video game. But yes if were to look at the world setting critically everything falls apart.

5. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Just mid way through DF's review. They always do great tech analysis of games. So for those on the fence:

I am starting to imagine/dream: Imagine this game, with it's current detail, where they do an entire CITY. I mean most (99%) areas, accessible. Every floor and room of every high-rise. Schools, libraries, houses, big arse shopping malls. I'm starting to think about survival games but with TLOU's game mechanics. It would be worthwhile to me to simply explore massive areas. Clearing places. Stealth'ing areas that have massive hordes, etc. Randomly generated world in terms of enemies, hordes, etc.

You could literally take half a year to clear. Imagine the amount of work required to do something like that.

7. elvis

I don't even know if games like that are sustainable any more. It's getting to a point where a game of any scale is taking the better part of a decade to make. There's added pressure there on constantly updating to newer hardware as you go (What if a new console comes out? How much testing do you have to do on new GPUs on PC during that time?).

And even then we hear endless stories of developers working insane hours leading up to release crunch.

There's been a lot of calls to make games shorter and smaller to try and "solve" the problem. But drop a game that's under 10 hours long and all you get is endless frothing from angry gamers.

I dunno. There has to be an upper bounds to all this, right? At least, while humans are doing the work, until AI takes over and we all become house pets playing games in our underwear for robot overlords. (Yes, I'm excited).

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

nah, they just stagger the releases and constantly have teams working on stuff.

it'd be like saying, hey movies take longer to make now so everything will be a 15 second tik tok clip instead. no more blockbusters!

9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

They can use existing techniques to modify assets for multiple uses. Regardless, I'm just dreaming. As power said, doesn't have to be a single release. Work on a small town/city. expand from there. One year they might be able to simply release one full city. Next year they can cover every town within the state, including the roads, forest, and areas in between. It's likely not possible in this lifetime, maybe, who knows.

That's just my vision though. Something beautiful and detailed, in visuals, sound, and in mechanics/gameplay that has many subset of little stories waiting to be discovered. Something that isn't linear. Again, just a dream :D

10. elvis

Well, no. Because the biggest, craziest movies you watch take around 2-3 years tops.

Games are pushing 7-10 years now. The scale is well beyond a film. Mostly because in film, everything is controlled - you can't pause a film and go walking around on the set looking for bugs and mistakes. You can't trigger a physics glitch in a film.

I've worked in film, I've seen people push themselves to the brink, and I acknowledge that Triple-A game dev is orders of magnitude harder again. It's really hard to put this stuff into words unless you've worked in and around these folk for a while. The human toll is very, very real.

And then suffer the wrath of angry gamers who see the same texture in two different parts of the world and call them "lazy".

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Studios and publishers are always looking to improve ROI, and as things stand I believe that ROI is still high enough for them to make big blockbuster games. In fact, depending on the title it's WAY up.

12. elvis

"ROI" is a nice way of saying "pushing people to metal breakdown for the bare minimum they'll accept in wages to abuse their passion and return megabux to shareholders".

Yay late stage capitalism. This shit can't last.

13. connico

connico Member

Just got to work smarter and let AI take over mate... that's the dream.

The way they filmed The Mandalorian is a leap in film making to me. I can't wait to see how they progress using this method in the near future!

14. elvis

Like most things at Disney (read: "infinite money") scale, that will filter down to everyone else in a decade's time. At which point Disney will be on to bigger and better things.

It's definitely exciting. But we're still a long way from not killing game devs and VFX artists yet.

15. connico

connico Member

The engine used on the stagecraft is closely related to the unreal engine... Hopefully the expertise to operate and create these environments will shake up the gaming industry. I'm seriously hoping that my mates in game development benefit from film studios hiring more gaming digital artists and developers to create a competitive market so game developers start seeing fairer conditions... the horror stories you hear... fark me

ChinoPD likes this.
  16. elvis

It's clear that games and film will merge both technically and artistically. I've got mates who jump ship between games and film constantly, where ever the work is.

As for the horror stories, sadly they exist in both markets. Film and TV is as ruthless an industry as games dev. The common factor there being the "entertainment" aspect, and especially how passionate, artistic people (even highly technical ones) are abused for their talents.

But yes, specific to the tech, the proficiencies required are already merging, as are the tools. Whether Unreal hangs around as a dominant force or not (and I can't see why it wouldn't), the sorts of things that go into making games more realistic and cinematic will directly feed into film and TV for their ability to do things faster and more predictably (people always ask me why VFX is used instead of physical effects - because you can predict things done in computer, and live explosions, animals and weather are far less predictable).

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

recurrent consumer spending seems to be how most large publishers want to do it.

less releases, more spend.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    ChinoPD likes this.
  18. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Found the 20 alternate endings guys :tongue:

19. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

For the person who earlier mentioned they they’ll be doing a “loud” play through, some inspiration for you:

:D

20. tonner78

tonner78 Member

Haha that's awesome. All dem bombs and dismembered bodies!